By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Question: about Xbox One and Cloud Computing

We all know that Microsoft has been investing quite a bit into Cloud Computing. I believe they've already been implementing it with their online games to help keep online play/multiplayer more stable than it was before. Some of my question may seem obvious, I've seen the microsoft presentation in which they demonstrated could computing.

My question is, how is cloud computing going to be implimented into single player? Will it be closer to buying games on PC, where you'll have minimum and maximum settings for games? In this way the Xbox One's native hardware will be the minimum settings, however depending on your online connection with the cloud you'll be able to achieve maximum settings (1080P and 60FPS and even possibly beyond that, better lighting effects/details, more enimies and ect. on screen?). In this way, Xbox One games won't be locked in at a certain resolution and framerate and be much more flexible. 

Is this REALLY what cloud computing is getting at/leading to or am I a little off base? I've heard "cloud this" and "cloud that" but I was just thinking about it a bit more...

Around the Network

What you said is exactly what it is Microsoft is trying to achieve with cloud rendering but this solution isn't exclusive and neither will it be free of charge.

its not going to make games 1080p/60 especially not for singleplayer, designing a game is about balancing what you can put in with whats playable, assisted cloud processing to a point of infreasing res or framerate dramatically makes that balancing act a floating target that is ultimately going to end up different for every user.

constantly briging it up by ms is about two things, one, advertising their azure services which are more financially beneficial for microsoft than the entire xbox division, and two a way of getting around the bad press and public opinion of xbox one being the weaker console.

The cloud can assist in non time critical, cpu heavy tasks that require minimal data transfer. For example complex path finding or physics (As long as the end result doesn't involve a lot of data, don't expect waves crashing on rocks)

It will not help rendering in a way to achieve higher frame rates or resolution, it will sooner slow it down by adding to the rendering load with more enemies or debris on screen.

Dynamic light maps could be an option, yet a test from NVidia already showed that that already far exceeds the 1.5 mbps recommendation MS set for cloud features, for a result that didn't look very spectacular at all to be honest.

You could have an impossible to beat chess program using the cloud...
Maybe an RTS that doesn't have to resort to cheating and can actually out think you.

I don't believe cloud computing will have any effect on graphics or frame rate. It could be used to make npcs smarter and keep track of various changes in the world. All the changes in the world could be handled in the cloud from NPC schedules and possible migration from town to town, to entire economies and the price of goods. A game could even take into account the actions of all players.

All that being said, making a single player require online elements is risky. I also find the possibilities exciting if done right. Please don't think graphics and frame rate because I think you'll be disappointed.

Around the Network

Here in Brazil this is not much of a factorr since the internet is not that good or reliable...

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

jabberjawky72 said:

We all know that Microsoft has been investing quite a bit into Cloud Computing. I believe they've already been implementing it with their online games to help keep online play/multiplayer more stable than it was before. Some of my question may seem obvious, I've seen the microsoft presentation in which they demonstrated could computing.

My question is, how is cloud computing going to be implimented into single player? Will it be closer to buying games on PC, where you'll have minimum and maximum settings for games? In this way the Xbox One's native hardware will be the minimum settings, however depending on your online connection with the cloud you'll be able to achieve maximum settings (1080P and 60FPS and even possibly beyond that, better lighting effects/details, more enimies and ect. on screen?). In this way, Xbox One games won't be locked in at a certain resolution and framerate and be much more flexible. 

Is this REALLY what cloud computing is getting at/leading to or am I a little off base? I've heard "cloud this" and "cloud that" but I was just thinking about it a bit more...

From what I understand, what they're doing in the cloud is CPU stuff. Each Xbox is allocated the equivilant of 3X more CPU in the cloud, IIRC.

So you can use it for more CPU, Physics, AI, etc, but you cant necessarily up the graphics, that I know of.

It's early stuff too. The third parties will need a lot of research before they really deploy it.

If rumors are true, Forza Horizon 2 will be the first game to use cloud in a big way (on a dynamic weather system) so we will see then.