By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - .P Harrison: Third parties can only reach 40% of Wii owners.

Jandre002 said:
Kasz216 said:
Jandre002 said:
I think what hes saying is that 60% bought a Wii for Wii-sports or fit or Mario games, and its not like PS2 was.

Casual gamers arent going to buy alot of games. The game comes with Wii Sports, half the people then buy Wii-Play, and then you have to beat out Wii Fit, SMG, Mario Kart and SSB:B by using innovation not graphics or plot to gain enough attention to sell.

Hes saying your not competing with Nintendo in quality or popularity, and most people are going to buy your game. I think its true, and sales show that. Its the way Nintendo has always been, and all these emerging third party devs have no room on that platform. Its not that they don't make good games, it just doesnt appeal.

Of the PS3 owners that bought the PS3 as a gaming machine, you have the highest %. Problem is, that the % of people who did buy it as a gaming machine might be as low as 70%. The 360 probably has anywhere between 90%-95% who bought it for games, but many of them are very strict about what games they do buy. (360 players will buy any shooter game that pushes a good storyline, advances in graphics, but won't buy as many RPG's as PS3 owners would per owner)

I dont see it as an insult to Nintendo, just a realistic outlook on what is selling. It might hurt Ninty fanboys feelings a bit, but thats why the Wii hasn't mattered as much to the two other consoles. Its a different crowd, and the only developers that can be really successful is Nintendo themselves.

Eh... dude, you do realzie that about 80%+ of the PS2 owners were casual gamers... right? That even the average gamer buys 1 game every couple months... right.

The people who visit game sites and buy like a game a week are in your vast minority. 

Also, your post is just hilarious percentages pulled out of your ass.

Yes the PS2 had mostly casual gamers...whats your point exactly? On the PS3 third party developers dominated those 1-2 games bought every few months. On the Wii its Nintendo. I never said PS2 owners buy a lot of games. On the PS2 it was the best game that won. On the Wii its just the next Mario game that people are buying.

My percentages are GUESSES, but the mindset of those buying each concole is probably around there. The PS3 might be for the media capabilites AND gaming. The 360 is 90% just for gaming. My opinion, but it seems to make sense.

So maybe you misunderstood what I was talking about with the PS2 comment. You're forgiven. And if im wrong BTW, tell me what third party Wii game that dominates that isn't a Nintendo game, or doesn't have Nintendo characters in it.

Now, please, can someone explain me this logic. If Nintendos games are so good, that they are the only ones that sell, how come GC got beaten by PS2 and Xbox in terms of sales? Since those 2 platforms apparently had only bad games that didn't sell. Oh, but GC was Nintendos platform and on Nintendos platform, only Nintendos games sell and all the people, who buy Nintendos consoles, suddenly becomes Nintendo fans, even if they hadn't played a single Nintendos game ever. Yes, the logic is clear.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
Stever89 said:
antfromtashkent said:
Stever89 said:
Total TP Wii sales (6 million sellers): Nearly 10 million
Total TP PS3 sales (5 million sellers): 8 million

Average: 1.6 million Wii
1.6 million PS3

Tie. Hmm. The only difference would be it takes a lot less sales to make money. So Wii wins.

lol but if u consider the user base it shouldnt be a tie should it?

Not when you consider that the Wii hardly has any games worth buying that are TP. Once the end of this year comes around I think it'll be a different picture.

once again my point is proven....

Exactly what is your point again?

His point is "ignore all arguments that dissagree with me and use what few corroborate my sentiments as proof that my opinion is more valid than yours"

as I've said before

When Wii gets games like Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed and Devil May Cry 4 and they still tie with the Ps3, then you can cry foul on the Wii. Until then, keep on dreaming.

Girl Gamer Elite said:
His point is "ignore all arguments that dissagree with me and use what few corroborate my sentiments as proof that my opinion is more valid than yours"

as I've said before

When Wii gets games like Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed and Devil May Cry 4 and they still tie with the Ps3, then you can cry foul on the Wii. Until then, keep on dreaming.

NO! my point is that Wii dosent get the TP support it should how can u not see that? 

Around the Network
antfromtashkent said:
sigh ok fine u guys can count RE4 (even though i dont think it should......thats my oppinion damn it :P)...... that makes Wii with 5 million sellers...... PS3 with 5 miliion sellers........ and xbox with like 10 or 15 dint really count but its some crazy number. Now we count the Wii vs PS3 vs XBOX user base...... soooo shouldnt the wii have more million sellers that at least the PS3?

Nope, with RE4 Wii , Wii has 6 third party milion seller ( according to VGchartz ). But I don't think that all count is million or billion seller, it is profit.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

antfromtashkent said:
bdbdbd said:
antfromtashkent said:
bdbdbd said:
antfromtashkent said:
well i have a question... Can ny one name a third party game that scored as much on the metacritic as SMG? Third party games dont do nearly as well on the Wii so think that thats the point no?

i dont think im even gonna respond to that :(

You don't have to. But i do think you're spot-on with that one. ;) But let's keep in mind, that how many 3rd party PS2 games outsold the best selling 1st party game.

ok so here we go to my original post  (i have to think about it now because im not even sure of what it was now lol)

Well i have a question... Can ny one name a third party game that sold as much on the wii as SMG? Third party games dont do nearly as well on the Wii so think that thats the point no?

This whole post i was just trying to say that the wii has a problem with TPD that needs to be addtessed. there need to be more serious games coming not only from nintendo!

Yes, and as i fixed it considering scores and metcritic. Look, if you take tha average metacritic score and average sales for 1st party games and do the same for 3rd party games, you propably found some correlation. It's not 1:1, but gives some reasoning for "bad" 3rd party sales. Or better yet, if you can find games marketing budgets and compare them to sales. But the thing i agree, is 3rd parties need to put serious games on Wii, and there are serious games coming. But still, you gave the reasoning for "only Nintendo games sell" yourself, meaning that only 3rd parties themselves are to blame.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

antfromtashkent said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

as I've said before

NO! my point is that Wii dosent get the TP support it should how can u not see that? 

Oh, is that all, well then I stand corrected. My appologies.

celine said:
antfromtashkent said:
sigh ok fine u guys can count RE4 (even though i dont think it should......thats my oppinion damn it :P)...... that makes Wii with 5 million sellers...... PS3 with 5 miliion sellers........ and xbox with like 10 or 15 dint really count but its some crazy number. Now we count the Wii vs PS3 vs XBOX user base...... soooo shouldnt the wii have more million sellers that at least the PS3?

Nope, with RE4 Wii , Wii has 6 third party milion seller ( according to VGchartz ). But I don't think that all count is million or billion seller, it is profit.

see Stever89's post above and my answer

So wait... what are we arguing about then... I think you probably should have worded your statements a little better, because I thought we were going into another "TP can't sell games on the Wii" and then when they do it's "Man those games suck (Carnival Games) or have Mario in it, so TP can't really sell anything on the Wii."

But as long as we all agree that most 3rd party games suck and they sell accordingly, and that 3rd parties need to put more quality titles on the Wii, and then they'll start selling more software, then it seems we've taken half a thread page to say the same thing from two different sides?