By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Phil Harrison:Wii Sports is a true 'next-generation' game

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33412

GDC: Harrison admits frustration at Sony Japan

Too slow in accepting the idea of social gaming

Sony's Phil Harrison, head of worldwide studios for Sony, has expressed his frustration that the company's Japanese division was too slow at accepting the ideas of social gaming – a market now dominated by rival manufacturer Nintendo and its Wii console.

Sony Europe already had three products on the market designed specifically to encourage social gaming in the living room before the Wii was even released – the EyeToy, SingStar and Buzz – but Japanese execs didn't believe in the concept of families enjoying gaming together.

"It's a very interesting and frustrating thing for me to experience because I have been banging the drum about social gaming for a long time, with SingStar, EyeToy and Buzz," he said during a private lunch taking place during GDC week.

"And our Japanese colleagues said that there is no such thing as social gaming in Japan – people do not play games on the same sofa together in each other's homes. It will never happen. And then out comes the Wii."

Harrison said that he thinks Wii Sports is a title that encapsulates the idea of a true 'next-generation' game, and he admires Nintendo's success in marketing and sales.

"What's interesting with Nintendo adverts – and they are the same the world over – they always show the view from the television back to the sofa, which is very clever. And what do you see? A family or friends all on a sofa," he said.

Around the Network

That was cool for Phil Harrison......It was almost like he was advertising the Wii...kinda...right?

LOL. "We like the wii. Please buy us too."

I disagree with him, but I'm glad the guy speaks what he believes in. Good for him

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Wow

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
Around the Network

this is quite a shock

@Kingofwale:

What do you disagree about? He didn't really say anything that can be debated, from what I can see.

I'm not flaming you or anything, I honestly don't understand

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
kingofwale said:
I disagree with him, but I'm glad the guy speaks what he believes in. Good for him

No surprise there you will and have always disagreed with anything that promotes the Wii.

@topic. First time i´ve seen a Sony exec actually say something nice about other then them selves.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

vaio said:
kingofwale said:

No surprise there you will and have always disagreed with anything that promotes the Wii or 360.

@topic. First time i´ve seen a Sony exec actually say something nice about other then them selves.

Fixed.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

OMG!!! THE APOCOLYPES!!
WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!