By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft may halt Xbox One production as inventory piles up

Although the Xbox One’s success has been repeatedly overshadowed by the dominance of the PlayStation 4, Microsoft CFO Amy Hood hinted in a recent earnings call that market saturation for the new console might be approaching sooner than expected.Gamasutra reports that Microsoft shipped 1.2 million Xbox Ones in the third fiscal quarter (January 1st – March 31st), which contributed heavily to the 41% year-over-year increase in revenue for Microsoft’s Devices and Consumer Hardware division. Unfortunately, it appears that those millions of Xbox One consoles aren’t exactly flying off the shelves. 

During the earnings call, Hood said that Microsoft “expect[s] to work through some inventory in Q4 [April 1st - June 30th],” mentioning “channel inventory drawdown for Xbox consoles.” From Gamasutra’s perspective, Hood’s statement implies that Microsoft may slow or even stop Xbox One production altogether until demand picks up. We know that the company has shipped 5 million consoles to retailers since launch, but Microsoft hasn’t been as forthcoming with actual end user sales data.

It’s still too early to tell whether or not the Xbox One has plateaued at its $500 price point, but it sounds like Microsoft is not entirely optimistic about growing its market share extensively over the next few months. Of course, that could all change if Microsoft makes a splash at E3 in June.

Microsoft did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

http://bgr.com/2014/04/25/xbox-one-production-update/

Around the Network

Old news been posted before.

well, fuck.

spurgeonryan said:
Oh god! This is big. What does this mean for Microsoft as a company? Are they leaving the console business?

It means they messed up selling it at $500. They will probably give it a price cut by after E3.

RROD was worse for them and they're still in the console business, so I'd expect them to survive this.

spurgeonryan said:
Oh god! This is big. What does this mean for Microsoft as a company? Are they leaving the console business?

Yes they are packing up as we speak.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
michael_stutzer said:
spurgeonryan said:

Yes they packing up as we speak.

Can anything be done to fix this mess? Or is it entirely too late? Just packing up out of Japan or the whole world? Did they even get into China yet?

There's virtually no reason to get into China, they'll ban almost every game.

Chris Hu said:

Do you have a link to this previous thread? I can't see one.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

spurgeonryan said:
michael_stutzer said:
spurgeonryan said:

Yes they are packing up as we speak.

Can anything be done to fix this mess? Or is it entirely too late? Just packing up out of Japan or the whole world? Did they even get into China yet?

I'd prefer the whole world option, honestly. There is still the 70% of Europe to get into before China.

spurgeonryan said:
Conegamer said:
Chris Hu said:

That is alright, I turned this one into it's own disinct thread. Carry on ....Warden.

Runs and hides....

Hmm, well fair enough then. Noone sent a link so I'll trust you with this one good sir

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
Chris Hu said:

There you go this is almost the same thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=182200

Plus I think there where other similar ones but to lazy to find them.