By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Let's say you now run Nintendo. How would you go abour righting the ship?

Soundwave said:

In the short term there's not a whole lot you can do. What I would say is this

- Wii U is a dud and there's not much that can change that now, but I would push EAD to make Zelda U the dark, epic Zelda that the fanbase really wants. That will keep your fans happy with their purchase. Furthermore at this point there's no point in rushing games like Yarn Yoshi ... I'd make sure that's a very high quality game too. Ditto for things like Fatal Frame U and Metroid U (presumably in development). I would not out of my way sinking tons of money into Wii U, but for the projects that already are underway, I would push the developers to make sure these games satisfy the fanbase greatly.

- I'd make it a goal to create at least ONE AAA quality "Western mature" IP for the Nintendo brand. If Ubi Soft can create Assassin's Creed and MS has Halo and Sony has Uncharted/Last of Us and Activision has COD/Destiny ... Nintendo should have their own IP like that which can be their flagship to older gamers. Metroid doesn't cut it, it's just too niche of a franchise, need something more marketable and mainstream.

- I'd go big or go home with the third party collabs. Nintendo Universe x Final Fantasy or something like that. Not SMT x Fire Emblem (which honestly isn't going to sell any systems).

Long term though honestly I think Nintendo needs to (and is correct in identifying) branch out from video games. Quite honestly, video games simply isn't that great of a business and there are too many cheap ways people can get their gaming fix. Also with the advent of streaming services (Playstation Now), really who even knows how much longer dedicated hardware has.

I'd encourage Nintendo to strongly consider getting more into the TV/movie business. The LEGO Movie made a fortune ... I think something for Nintendo using video game characters (throw in Megaman, Pac-Man, and other third party cameos) with a neutral central character and a funny script could be a big hit (imagine Wreck It Ralph, just with Nintendo characters on the side and a new main character).

I think Zelda could be a live action trilogy of films too. I would also consider Nintendo-based theme park attractions at places like Universal Studios or Disney Land/World (but no Nintendo theme park -- too risky, too much of an investment). If things like Transformers can become billion dollar movie franchises ... Zelda, which has a much better story/mythology to begin with could work.

Quality of Life is another thing, probably not a bad idea to branch out into. I agree that Nintendo needs to transition more into becoming an entertainment company and less of just being a games company.

Nintendo don't need to Sony.  Their sitting on money just from video games.

Around the Network

Spend the actual money to be the TOP console dog once again, like they used to be in SNES (...N64) era. Spend the actual money to get all/most of the 3rd party games onto the Next N. The Wii was quirky enough, and I would bet big bucks that they spent R&D money researching motion control, that it won big time, but such things are massive hits or misses.

Traditionall Nintendo wins because they have _all_ the games. Nothing more, nothing less. Mario whatever, Zelda, Metroid? Don't mean shit if its not backed up with all the other 3rd party games.

I would mount a massive offensive to put together _the_ strongest 3rd + 1st party lineup for the entire generation and I would plan that the console has a long life. Not necessarily an absurd 10 year lifespan like PS3/PS2 had, but the Wii had like a massive buildup over 5 years then colapsed like a stack of dimes. I would basically strive to finsih the gen off strong with the best games  at year 6 or 7.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

1) What would you do to try and turn things around the near term (1-6 months?)

Advertisements:

Mario Kart 8 advertisements are a good blueprint for future Wii U marketing, just focus a bit more on the Wii U hardware and the fact that it is a successor to the Wii. Most people still think the WIi U-Gamepad is an extension for the original Wii. Continue the efforts throughout the year and intensify with the beginning of the holiday season. WiiU is making profit with every sold SKU? Let’s sell them!

E3:

Make sure that the impression for both platforms is that there are several good games to come until next year. Make sure that there will be no big gaps where gamers have to wait for good games that are not just smaller games from the eShop. Send this combined message 'directly' to the gamers. At the end impress them with a Sneak Peak for Zelda U, which will come out in 2015. This Sneak Peak will move some hardware this year even with Zelda U not being out yet.

2) Which device would you discontinue first (3DS/Wii U) and what would your timetable be for the transition of both devices?

I like the idea of a combined platform of mobile and home console gaming, but I think it isn’t necessary to introduce them both at the same time. First start with the handheld because Nintendo is still the market leader for dedicated mobile gaming devices. Design a new hardware that comes without clutter and gimmicks, just gaming. Nintendo can benefit from smart phones because components for mobile devices are cheaper than ever if you design your hardware with standards in mind. 

The 3DS is expensive for Nintendo because it has a chip that does not follow industry standards, a 3D-Screen most people could pass on and a additional display with mediocre touch-capabilities. For three-dimensional screens the chipset has to render two different pictures/camera-angles which makes development harder and more than halves the available graphics power. For the next handheld just use one display, standard-components and a good multi-touchscreen. The price for these components will drop a lot faster allowing them to sell without loss and a more aggressive pricing.

Same is true for the WiiU-successor, the WiiU does use a very special chipset that is only used in a home console from Nintendo. Microsoft and Sony went a different path, they both have very similar chipsets with Sony having the one that is a bit faster. The chipset is very similar to the Chipsets AMD is producing for computers these days (APUs), which cuts development costs and makes it easy for developers to shine on the new hardware. Nintendo should introduce the successor to the WiiU with a Pro Controller and a Wii-Remote in the package for 249.99$ and go with a SoC (System on a chip) like Microsoft and Sony did. This SoC can be less powerful than the competition - I think next generation will move raw power to 4K-resolution - but contain the same standards for graphic effects and processor architecture. With a SoC from AMD they have to discard backwards compatibility with the WiiU - a system that sells less than the GameCube did - but they are not a full generation behind again and third-partys can port at least some of their games with a lower resolution to the console. 

The lower price would help to reclaim the money printing  spot that Nintendo had in the 7th generation where the Wii for most hardcore gamers was the second console beside a PS3 or a Xbox360 and that Nintendo lost with the high entry level price of the WiiU.

3) What would be the your strategy for bolstering 3rd party support on the next home console?

Technical Strategy:

Build an operating system that runs smooth and fast, invest more money and increase the number of people that are constantly working on this. Build one operating system to run on both platforms with the same kernel and different UIs like Apple did with OS X and iOS.

Build a game engine that developers can use external but is used for all internal projects. This helps to prevent delays and developer can better use the hardware potential. For a Fusion-like connection this engine needs to be the same for the mobile and the home console like the OS.

Make the OS and engine people working on the new hardware early on to ensure that the engine is ready for operation when the first game development starts.

Also maker of other relevant engines should have early access to the hardware to have them on board early.

Establish a bigger hardware support team for third-partys with some people speaking at least English. At the moment a support request from a western developer is translated to Japanese, answered by the team and translated back to English. This procedure takes a week and the possibilities for mistranslations is high.

In short: Make life more comfortable for internal and external developers!

Game Strategy:

More. Fucking. Games.

Nintendo does have a lot of money at the bank and Iwata needs to spend some of it for striking back and erasing the mistakes of the past. What we have learned from a struggling 3DS is that a price cut costs a lot of money and some games would have made a better job. Third-Partys won’t come back because the platforms are not profitable for them, so Nintendo needs to sell a lot of hardware to get them back into the boat.

Example: EA is not producing a Fifa game for the WiiU. Why is there no Mario strikers announced yet?

Only more games can help Nintendo to sell more hardware. Buy some little studios, buy some exclusives from third-partys, buy a third-party, establish new studios in existing second partys or in the Nintendo HQ. Nintendo needs a more steady stream of games coming to their platforms and I think they have to secure these games come out at the right time. In case the console is selling like the Wii EA will make a Fifa for it and it will sell because it’s a realistic game and Mario Strikers is not, but it would be a good bridge until EA is coming back. The same is true for all genres of videogames.

Indie Strategy:

Use the eShop like the iOS-AppStore, publish a simplified version of the SDK  and the conditions that developer have to keep to get their games into the Store. This would help to launch games simultaneously with the smartphones and tablets. Nintendo doesn’t need to compete with iOS and Android in terms of hardware power but they should have as many good games on their platform as possible.

Fusion Strategy:

With a Fusion platform that contains both, mobile and home consoles, Nintendo can start with the mobile sector where they can easier have success and make money. With the home console having similar graphical capabilities with more power for a higher resolution Nintendo could sell Universal games like Apple does with the iPhone and the iPad, where you can buy apps in the App Store that you pay once and run with a suitable User Interface on both devices. Buy Animal Crossing Universal for 49.99$ instead of 39.99$ for mobile-only and play on both platforms with savegames synced with your Nintendo-Network-ID between those devices. Same thing could work for Virtual Console games, buy once, play on all your devices and savegames are synced. This strategy could help to make more games available for each platform especially in the important early part of the lifecycle without development costs getting out of hand.

The Youtuber Gajin Goomba makes some really good points about what needs to change. The perception of the company (outside of the core Nintendo fanbase) is pretty mediocre in the West in general.

The games aren't necessarily the main problem, though it is a big issue.

They need to change their ways. Monetising Youtube videos is a big issue as it hurts their chances of getting major exposure overseas. Can you imagine the hype levels if Pewdiepie started playing Wii U games? He introduces so many new games to people around the world and they instantly get a sales boost. Not only does it hurt relationships with Youtubers but it's such a stupid waste of free promotion.

They also need to allow Nintendo of America/Europe to make their own decisions irregardless of what Japan says. Wasn't a big developer issue that they couldn't communicate well with Japan and that everything took weeks just to see to one small problem? They need to support them if they want to support you.They need to pay attention to the whole world instead of purely focusing on the Japanese audience and developers.  For example, look at the 3DS spot pass feature. That was a hugely promoted feature that did absolutely nothing for people living outside of Japan. 

Oh, and they need to get up to date with their hardware, software and online features. I've yet to buy a Wii U but everything feels like it takes ages online on the 3DS. Another software problem is the price. One reason I've yet to buy a 3DS game in the last few months is because their games are always too expensive. Even the less known titles like Nintendogs+Cats are STILL £35. They need to offer their games at cheaper prices. It's so off putting seeing New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario 3D World still being sold at a staggering £45.

Everything else has been said in ths thread. Reintroduce new IP's and stop throwing the generic Zelda, Pokemon, Mario and Kirby combination at everything. I've grown increasingly tired of it to the point where they don't surprise me anymore.