By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Titanfall exclusivity proved to be (quite) pointless

Well for starters Titanfall isn't an exclusive. It's also on the PC and Xbox 360, both platforms with much larger userbase numbers than the Xbox One. Secondly unless we have any idea about the financials involved for Titanfall then there's no point in saying it was pointless or wasn't pointless. We have absolutely zero insight into those numbers and there are no metrics or basis for comparison. Same goes for whatever MS expected the game to push on Xbox One. I could make a thread saying it's grossly exceeded their expectations and I'd be basing it on just as many facts as this thread.

Lastly, couldn't this logic be applied to every single exclusive ever? I mean hey guys Last of Us on PS3 didn't even crack 5 million sold at retail. Imagine how many millions more they could have sold with a 360 version. Why is Sony just leaving money on the table like that? wtf

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
crissindahouse said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Seece said:
It was that or let the game die, what would you prefer?

Or EA could've actually used their money.

LOL, Nintendo could've bought it like they did Bayonetta 2.

Looking at EA's finances the last years I wouldn't be too sure if EA can really invest much in new projects and teams. If you already lost billions it's not so easy to throw money around. People talk about Sony as if they have no money for anything nowadays but I'm not sure if EA is really in a much better position. At least I believe that they lost billions the last years, maybe I don't remember it correct.

You are comparing a multinational conglomerate with EA... ?

Anyhow, EA have $1.3bn in cash on the last balance sheet, which is a lot for a company of this type.

No, I'm saying that losing billions doesn't only decrease the financial situation of one company but I didn't really check EA's situation before I posted so that it can be also the case that EA has still plenty of money to invest in unproven projects and teams. And since I'm on my phone I also don't really want to check it out.

It's only pointless to a certain group of fans that didn't have it on their system. I have thoroughly enjoyed Titanfall and it its current rate it may be the highest selling game this generation for next gen systems.

Titanfall was not pointless, this post is pointless, titanfall did give x1 a nice boost

Right, so everyone should do nothing because trying is pointless. No one should take risks or try anything I guess because if might fail.

I cannot wait until this gen brings more exclusives so people are not recycling the same junk topics over and over.

Around the Network
y2jarmyofficial said:
Titanfall was not pointless, this post is pointless, titanfall did give x1 a nice boost

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php

Yes, it allowed X1 to outsell the PS4 for the first time since it launched, but only by ~6k units. I wouldnt call that a very nice boost, especially considering it didnt last at all as the next week PS4 outsold X1 by 120k.

You have to wonder, if the only time X1 sales will come close to PS4 is in the week when they have a game coming out which is as hyped as titanfall. Hopefully next time its more than 6k units.

and all this is happening at a time where PS4 apparently has no games....

How many copies did it sell on X1? Now substract the number from the console sales. Oh yes it did a lot for the X1. Just because it didn't sell many consoles at launch doesn't mean it didn sell many consoles. A lot of people bought the box in anticipation of the game as you can see at the console sales vs software sales that week. It also did sell consoles to people who don't care very much for it because it's a big exclusive and practically a promise that the X1 is able to get high profile exclusives in the future.

My guess is that without Titanfall the X1 would currently be on a doom level equal to Wii U.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Making bayonetta 2 exclusive to wii u is more pointless in my opinion...

Depending on how much money it cost Microsoft to secure "exclusivity" I wouldn't say it proved to be pointless at all.

As BenVTrigger says in this post the Xbox One soon might gonna hit some very low weekly numbers and without Titanfall these numbers would already be present and would be even lower.

Imagine the Xbox One without Titanfall.. It wouldn't stand a chance against the PS4 for the rest of 2014. Not even in the US.

This years' PS4 games are quite cleverly spread throughout the remaining months but I fear that the Xbox One will get a painful sunburn during the summer. Xbox One would literally be in hell without Titanfall though.

Xbox One without Titanfall wouldn't be able to compete with this..

March: Infamous: Second Son and Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition

April: Daylight and Final Fantasy XIV

May: MLB 14Watch Dogs (exclusive marketing + bundle), Transistor and Bound by Flame

June: The Last of Us Remastered and The Witness (possibly)

July: Driveclub (possibly)

August: PlanetSide 2 (possibly)

September: Destiny (exclusive marketing + bundle)

October: Batman: Arkham Knight (exclusive marketing + bundle) and Assassin's Creed: Unity (exclusive marketing + bundle)

November: The Order: 1886 (possibly)

vivster said:
How many copies did it sell on X1? Now substract the number from the console sales. Oh yes it did a lot for the X1. Just because it didn't sell many consoles at launch doesn't mean it didn sell many consoles. A lot of people bought the box in anticipation of the game as you can see at the console sales vs software sales that week. It also did sell consoles to people who don't care very much for it because it's a big exclusive and practically a promise that the X1 is able to get high profile exclusives in the future.

My guess is that without Titanfall the X1 would currently be on a doom level equal to Wii U.

NPD only.

~865K single units
~1m with bundled

Xbone only... so ~140k units came from the bundles in US.