By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Will Scotland be an independent country?

Will Scotland be an independent country?

Yes 70 37.43%

Don't know 40 21.39%

No 75 40.11%

Total:185
Pyro as Bill said:

wangjingwanjia said:
If Scotland would leave the UK, what is it they want to change the most?

Do they want to keep the British currency or switch to Euro or create their own currency?

They want to keep the £ for now util they join the euro.

The original intention was to move to become a part of the European Union and move to the Euro.  There has been less interest in that lately since the possibility of continuing to use the British Pound as currency was discussed.  This isn't a radical idea.  The US Dollar is used in many countries as the local currency.

Pyro as Bill said:

wangjingwanjia said:

Do they want to keep sports teams in the "British" leagues or create their own domestic leagues for football etc.?

No idea. Hasn't been mentioned.

Scotland already has it's own league.  The Scottish Professional Football League has 19 teams.  It was formed after the Scottish Premier League (SPL) and the Scottish Football League (SFL) merged back together after splitting in 1998.  In addition to the SPFL, there are several lower level leagues used as a farm system for the professional clubs. 

Pyro as Bill said:

wangjingwanjia said:

Do they want to keep English as their first language or switch to Gaelic or use Gaelic and English as their first languages?(maybe they already do, I don't know this)

They'll speak English. No-one speaks Gaelic in Scotland. Wales uses their 'own language' much moreso than the Scots.

They'll speak Scottish.  Scots is a distinct dialect of English.  Also, Gaelic is still spoken in Scotland, though typically used more in the Highlands rather than the Lowlands or Midlands.  In fact, Scotland has both an English and a Gaelic BBC station.  The farther north you travel, the more frequenly you'll come across road signs that are in both Gaelic and English.

Pyro as Bill said:

wangjingwanjia said:

Do they want to join the Nordic council or is it just a rumour?

Never even knew there was a Nordic council and I doubt most Scots do. Scots have used Nordic countries as an example of small and successful with oil.

I haven't heard of any intentions of Scotland joining the Nordic council. 

Pyro as Bill said:

wangjingwanjia said:

Anything else? 

Keep the Monarchy, keep UK armed forces, stay in the Commonwealth.

Honestly, a giant chip on the shoulder. Scotland is the 'most free' part of the UK. We've had a separate legal, education, health system since forever. Scotland always pushes for more. That's fine but England has done nothing similar. If England were to get the same priviledges as Scotland then the UK would already have split. England has never pushed back for equal terms. Even if Scotland stays, the West Lothian Question needs to be addressed. The only sensible answer to the West Lothian Question is an English Parliament (UK, Wales, NI, Scotland all have constitutional power, England doesn't).

The UK ended when Scotland got it's Parliament back. The English are still waiting for theirs.

I don't believe Scotland would continue to recognize the rule of the monarchy.

Scots make-up about 50% of the fighting force of the UK armed forces.  My guess is they'll be able to manage with their own armed forces. 

Scotland hasn't indicated it'll leave the Commonwealth.  In fact, all indicators are is that it would continue to maintain a relationship in the Commonwealth.

No, Scotland isn't the most free part of the UK.  The Republic of Ireland is the most free former member of the United Kingdom.  And if you really want to go back in time to when the UK began to fall apart it was in 1926 when Lord Balfour declared that each nation state of the British Empire to be equal in status and in no way subordinate to the other.

Once again, you need to understand your history.  Westminster is England's parliament.  Scotland's and Ireland's  parliaments were dissolved.  While yes, Scotland has a voice in the British Parlament, England features far more seats represented than does Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland combined.  If all of the seats representing Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland offered a protest vote against the a bill, if the English members of parliament voted for it it would still pass easily.

Scotland contributes more in revenue than it takes in benefits.  This is an absolute fact that no one denies.  That in turn means that it's Scotland that's funding England, not England funding Scotland. 

The problem with the UK is the fact that no British Prime Minister has considered for one second the UK to be a Union of States, like Canada, Australia, or the United States of America are, but rather England having dominion over the territories of the UK.  Had Westminster proposed at one time, such as the end of the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, that the UK be four nation states with a central federal government things might have been different.  Instead, under Oliver Cromwell, power consolidated in London. 

The problem Scots seek to change is the ability for Scotland to identify, choose, and implement its own solutions to problems.  Under current law and power deligations, it can't control taxation and the distribution of revenue from that taxation.  It can't even modify how local governments are formed, such changes would take an act of Westminster to invoke. 

Would further dissolution resolve that problem.  Possibly, but some members of the British parliament that oppose the notion of Scottish devolution have threatened that Scotland may in fact be punished for it.

Finally, no.  Scotland does not have constitutional powers.  That is why power is devolved.  If you can find for me in the Scotland Act of 1998 where it says Scotland has constitutional powers, powers in which Westminster cannot override with a vote, then I'll eat my shorts. 

Around the Network

They deserve to be after how we English treat them in the past. I hope Catalonia will break from Spain too

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

The vote result will certainly be No, based on statistics.

the2real4mafol said:
They deserve to be after how we English treat them in the past. I hope Catalonia will break from Spain too

It's so easy to break from a country but what than? We all saw what happened with Ukraine, they broke all Russian contacts and now it's one pile of dissaster.

Once you entered you won't be the same anymore. A blog about life.

http://seetheworlddifferent.wordpress.com/

ImmortalHelixFossil said:
the2real4mafol said:

It's so easy to break from a country but what than? We all saw what happened with Ukraine, they broke all Russian contacts and now it's one pile of dissaster.

I suspect there will be much less Russian mischief going on in an independent scotland.

Not to mention the just general structural advantages.

Around the Network
ImmortalHelixFossil said:
the2real4mafol said:

Look what happened when the American separatists got their way.  When will Russian meddling stop?