By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - GDC: More from Molyneux

*This might turn into a flamebait since he does take a jab or two at the wii though hopefully people will figure out that he works for MS. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=93121

Interview by Ellie Gibson

Today 11:30

Peter Molyneux is one of the headline speakers at this year's Game Developers Conference. As you'll know if you read the preview published yesterday, he's here to reveal more of Fable 2. Specifically he's been discussing co-op, and the innovation that will allow players to earn in-game gold by playing XBLA titles.

But the Lionhead boss has never been one to stick to promoting his own projects during interviews. In fact, his tendency to stray from the party line has got him into trouble before now. So, obviously, Eurogamer took the opportunity to ask Molyneux some more general questions. Read on to find out what he thinks of the Wii, the state of PC gaming, the Xbox 360's lack of a hard drive and more.

Eurogamer: Having seen the demo of Fable 2, it's clear you're doing some ambitious stuff. Have you ever wished you had a hard drive to play with, as you'd have had with PlayStation 3?

Peter Molyneux: Fable 2 works on the Core system, and there are some things which are problematic to do if you haven't got a hard drive. They're mainly to do with downloading, sustaining and adding to it - that's problematic. Given the choice, I'd obviously choose a hard drive every day of the week.

But the balance to that is you're supporting a system which is an awful lot cheaper. What I'm trying to address with Fable 2 is say 'Look, anybody can play this game.' That's what I really want. So supporting the cheaper price is really important.

Eurogamer: So you think you've backed the right horse? There's been talk that PS3 is finally coming into its own now, and suggestions the software line-up for 360 isn't as stellar as it was last year. Are you still confident?

Peter Molyneux: It's a continual battle. I think that battle will rage over many years and many generations, because no one wants to give up the prize. The prize is that every home will have an entertainment system and someone's going to think, 'It's going to be mine' - whether that be Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo.

I don't think this generation is going to have a clear, decisive winner. Even when you look at the pretty stellar performance the Wii has had, that's only been [because of] a tiny number of titles. Wii Sports and so on have done incredibly well, no one would argue with that. But where are the rest of the titles? How well are they selling?

Eurogamer: Nintendo would probably dispute that. They made the point recently the NPD figures suggest a lot of third-parties are having good fortune with the Wii.

Peter Molyneux: I'm sure they are, but they're not having that much good fortune compared to on the other platforms. If you look at the software attach ratio it isn't as strong as the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.

Eurogamer: Perhaps the attractiveness is the relative cost. You must have spent millions on Fable 2. You can make a Wii game fairly cheaply by comparison.

Peter Molyneux: You can. The funny thing about that is, for third-party publishers, the Wii is probably just as expensive as PS3 - if not more so - because you've got to downgrade all the graphics and change the control mechanism.

For Nintendo, I think that's probably true. I don't know how much Mario Galaxy cost but it's a pretty huge game. Something like Wii Sports was probably very cheap.

Eurogamer: What's your take on PC gaming at the moment? Cliff Bleszinski was recently quoted as saying it's in "disarray", so Epic is concentrating on console development for now. Is that an opinion you share?

Peter Molyneux: I think it's a huge tragedy. I mean, you might as well say PC gaming is World of Warcraft and The Sims... The weird thing is everyone's got a PC, they're just not buying software for it.

You only have to look at some of the titles which have recently come out. Crysis - I don't know the final sales figures, but they certainly weren't stellar compared to the amount of effort they put in.

So I think it's a real tragedy. I love the PC. There isn't a tangible reason why it shouldn't still be a great gaming platform. I still think the mouse is a fantastic device for playing games on. We all hail the Wii as being a great innovator but actually, it's a mouse you hold [differently].

Eurogamer: You don't think it's just a perception thing? Digital distribution figures are very difficult to track. Steam says they've got over 13 million accounts; PopCap and companies like that are doing extremely well. Isn't it just that PC gaming is about different things now?

Peter Molyneux: I think that's a fair thing to say. For years, the PC was home to a massive amount of innovation. If you look at the number of genres that came from the PC, they still don't exist anywhere else. RTS games only exist there. That's what's fallen off.

Underneath that, you're quite right. There's an enormous amount of gaming happening with PopCap, Big Fish and Reflective. But here's the fascinating thing - have you been on those sites recently? Forget Steam. Start looking at those sites.

The fascinating thing is when they first started, all these games came out like Peggle and Mystery Files and Alice Greensleeves and Diner Dash, and it felt quite exciting. There was a lot of innovation going on. Okay, there weren't great graphics, but there was innovation.

In my view, that has completely stopped. They're doing the same game over and over again with a different wrapper. It's like a mini-universe in itself which is emulating what's happening in our industry.

The second thing is, you've got The Sims and World of Warcraft sucking all the air out of the PC market. It's just incredible.

Around the Network

Let's all make a gentleman's (or ladies')agreement to ignore what he said about the Wii... I think its pretty obvious he is just trying to rile some people up. If we ignore it, then we can comment on the interesting things he says in relation to PC gaming, without making fun of him for saying that Wii's graphics can be as expensive as PS3s

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

>Peter Molyneux: You can. The funny thing about that is, for third-party publishers, the Wii is probably just as expensive as PS3 - if not more so - because you've got to downgrade all the graphics and change the control mechanism.

I'm by no mean a Wii fanboy, but I have to disagree with this bitterly.

Are you telling me Ninjabread man or Chicken Shoot downgraded their graphics? NO WAY, that's all their programmers are capable of. Nobody downgrades their graphics, they just don't have to try hard to make it look good, that's not hard to do.

Changing control mechanism in most games are cheap too, instead of pressing "X"/"A" button for attack, you waggle your Wiimote, are you honestly telling me that's going to be expensive?

In conclusive, No, he's wrong.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Molyneux *never* delivers. He always promises great games, and releases incomplete games. And because the original design of his game requires it to be complete and open to be fun, they're never fun.

Fable.

I reset my case.

Have to agree with Big on this one....when I first heard about Fable it sounded like it was going to be a revolution in story telling and playing through the entire life of a character...showing all the scars along the way, but when I played it, it just did not live up to my expectations I guess. IMO Molyneux is not a bad game designer....he just overhypes his ideas a little too much.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
>Peter Molyneux: You can. The funny thing about that is, for third-party publishers, the Wii is probably just as expensive as PS3 - if not more so - because you've got to downgrade all the graphics and change the control mechanism.

I'm by no mean a Wii fanboy, but I have to disagree with this bitterly.

Are you telling me Ninjabread man or Chicken Shoot downgraded their graphics? NO WAY, that's all their programmers are capable of. Nobody downgrades their graphics, they just don't have to try hard to make it look good, that's not hard to do.

Changing control mechanism in most games are cheap too, instead of pressing "X"/"A" button for attack, you waggle your Wiimote, are you honestly telling me that's going to be expensive?

In conclusive, No, he's wrong.

He's talking about multiplatform titles (that's why he mentions downgrading the graphics and changing the control scheme).  Basically what he's saying is that both the Wii and PS3 are different enough from PC/360 that it likely cost almost the same amount of money (or maybe even more in the Wii's case) for third parties to port games to those platforms.

Peter is right. And about the cost: I think it's better as long as the game is good, so fable 2 will cost a buttload to make, but I think it will be good. It think it's unfair that ninjabread man can sell 100,000 copies and it's shovelware. I resent nintendo for it's lack of quality control, sure xbox gets VAMPIRE RAIN, but for every 1 stinker xbox gets, nintendo gets 8.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Wow, I knew Molyneux was an arrogant liar, but now he's trying to talk about sales in markets he doesn't understand (PC). I don't mind his Wii attacking that much. That's just where is paycheck comes from. So his character traits so far are arrogance, lying, and ignorance. Man Molyneux is such a great guy.

naznatips said:
Wow, I knew Molyneux was an arrogant liar, but now he's trying to talk about sales in markets he doesn't understand (PC). I don't mind his Wii attacking that much. That's just where is paycheck comes from. So his character traits so far are arrogance, lying, and ignorance. Man Molyneux is such a great guy.

Why wouldn't Molyneux understand the PC market? That's where he spent most of his career.

But he is an arrogant ass, that is indisputable. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

HE's a great game designer if you just don't listen to him you will enjoy his games.

Think twice before helping a friend in need.