By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My estimated specs of the PlayStation 5

Sorry. But 4k wont be standard for console gaming in next gen. Maybe 1440p at 30 fps or 1080p 60fps. Otherwise consoles have to cross $500 price point.

Around the Network

64GB is way too much. I can however see 32GB being a reality. With stacked RAM and lower power consumption with GDDR6/DDR4, it should be doable.. and wouldn't cost too much in 6+ years.

As for 4K? Nah. I doubt 4K will be mainstream anytime soon. With any hope, all that extra compute power should be able to better use like handle full working engines with real-time raytracing (much like Brigade). And estimating flops is pretty meaningless as well, because well , its impossible to tell how much AMD's GPU effiency will improve through their roadmaps.

@sethnintendo

DDR4 memory density has 2 times the density of DDR3. It's already in mass production from major RAM manufacturers (Micron Samsung, Hynix to follow). Having over 16GB of ram is not too far fetched for a 2020+ console.

Edit: typo

Turkish said:

Sorry for being a decade too early, this is what I think will be the specs of the PS5:

Specs:
+10TFlops console
12-16 cores
56-64GB RAM 16x4 GiB GDDR6 memory chips (set to be introduced within 2-3 years, GDDR5 was introduced in 2008)

4K gaming will be possible, but QHD (2560x1440)/WQXGA+ (3200x1800) 16:9 resolutions will also be common in individual cases depending on the Virtual Reality support and if 4K proves too taxing. VR games will be 1440 or 1800p, 90-120fps.

~12GB RAM will be reserved for the OS, the footprint will decrease gradually over time.

Release: November 2019, 6 years after the launch of PS4. It might come out 2 years after Nintendo's next and 1 year after Xbone successor if MS wants to release a year earlier again if they're beaten badly this gen.

Motivation behind my estimates:

+10-12TFLOP: PS3 was ~300-400, PS4 is 1.95TFLOP so 5x increase, ofcourse AMD is bringing out 295X2 which is 11.5TFLOP, the card costs 1.5k dollars, but it will take more than 5 years before we see such a beast of a card become the mainstream standard (200-250 bucks) which is the tier of cards next gen consoles will feature. But the 295X2 will be ancient in terms of technology and features by 2019, by then the cards will be on newer memory and GCN version etc.

RAM: basically an increase of ~8x, this is half of what RAM increases of previous generations: PS2 32MB, PS3 512, PS4 8GB, I think a 16x increase(128GB) is a bit too much this time around.

12-16CPU cores: cpu's will have more cores to handle more tasks, AMD and Intel already provide cpu's with that many cores for server solutions.

Firsts for many in the industry:

-First time real ray tracing in games

-VR becoming mainstream, bundles with PS5, 4K OLED VR headset affordable

-4K gaming becoming mainstream

-CGI like graphics feasible by mid gen thanks to enormous amount of horse power and memory

What do you think?

That's pretty terrible and I think you need to do your homework before guessing like this.

The chance is that it will actually never be launched and it will go to cloud gaming. Also the huge change coming in 2016-17 with gpus and the increase in power needed for these cards will most likely kill the console. It would be better for everyone to pay $15 a month to access sme monolithic server Microsoft or Sony run.

That RAM volume is absurd, especially with 12GB for the OS. Why?! Where did you pull that random figure from? It will stay at 1GB as OS's are small.

4k will never become mainstream. Many houses in Europe and Japan are not big enough to have these 60 inch + TVs in. Also bluray is still 1080p and this won't change as the TVs are expected to upscale it.

hinch said:

@sethnintendo

DDR4 memory density has 3 times the density of DDR3. It's already in mass production from major RAM manufacturers (Micron Samsung, Hynix to follow). Having over 16GB of ram is not too far fetched for a 2020+ console.

I'd say that 16 GB would be the safest bet for the next Playstation.  I was thinking about increasing my RAM on my PC from 8 to 16 but I'd probably wouldn't even notice a difference.  About the only upgrade that I need to do on my PC right now is to go from Sata to SSD.

I still go for 128GB of GDDR6 for the memory, guys it's already happening for the servers:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9247500/Hynix_reveals_world_s_first_128GB_DDR4_memory_module

Hynix's 128GB DDR4 module.

Around the Network
petalpusher said:
Not a bad estimate but you have to define exactly what's "ray traced games", there s a lot of games already who throws some rays for different effects construction. This would also require a pretty specific gpu to do all the rendering in raytracing and skip the rasterizer. In a sense, something totally different from what we see (and on roadmap) of AMD/Nvidia.

NVidia says they are at 2 GPUs gens to achieve real time ray tracing, so in the next 4 years they should get it. The definition of ray traced games generally being used is the one where they actually change the entire graphics pipeline and instead of applying traditional lightning (Phong and similars), this entire stage will be replaced by ray tracing, for every object.

About his specs, it's really to early to call. Ray tracing is probably a given and will allow a great jump in visuals by itself. RAM won't be less than 32 GB probably (remember, 5 years in the future). CPU is a part where it's harder to predict (despite that, the Intel Xeon Phi processor are a good indicator of what's next). Well, maybe we won't even have a powerful PS5, just a simple box streaming cloud games.

daredevil.shark said:

Sorry. But 4k wont be standard for console gaming in next gen. Maybe 1440p at 30 fps or 1080p 60fps. Otherwise consoles have to cross $500 price point.

It isn't that hard. It's five years from now. With less than 4X what you have now on PS4 you can do 4K with the same visual level. It's 4 times more pixels and that will have an impact of 4X the performance only on stages where you are dealing with pixels and no impact at all at geometry level. You are basically stating that 5 year more recent tech won't be able to do much more than current one while in the previous gens we usually saw a 10X increase. The only thing that could held this would be real time ray tracing eating all GPU power and holding games at 1080p, but that will happen even on PC (since no GPU will be able to push ray tracing at 4K at the first few years).

Despite that, there wasn't a good reason to push 4K now. Basically, nobody has a 4K TV. 5 years from now that will probably change and it will be more interesting to do 4K.

I expect it to have specs close to a mid end PC of that time period.

J_Allard said:
LOL @ all that RAM.

Why? 64 GB is actually possible in 5 years. PS4 has 8GB, PS3 has 512MB and PS2 has 32MB. More than 10 times each iteration. It could well go to 128 GB and I wouldn't be surprised. 

torok said:
J_Allard said:
LOL @ all that RAM.

Why? 64 GB is actually possible in 5 years. PS4 has 8GB, PS3 has 512MB and PS2 has 32MB. More than 10 times each iteration. It could well go to 128 GB and I wouldn't be surprised. 

How many PCs come with more than 8 GB RAM standard these days?  Very few.  So if the PC market isn't even going past 8 GB right now then why would the console market jump past the PC market?  The standard PC market will be at 8-16 GB for the next 5 years at least.  I don't see PCs coming with 32 GB standard for a long time.