By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sakurai GDC interview on Brawl

Yay NO downloadable characters!

Boo NO DS version!

He finally points out how stupid leaderboards are, hooray.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network

With most press interviews there's a huge line of people waiting to interview that person, you can't really expect them to kiss Sakurai's ass in the interview, when you're pressed for time like you would be if you had work to do in GDC you have to make your points clear and to the point, which sometimes can come off demanding and acting like a douche. Lot's of people have been wondering the DLC and voice chat questions myself included, he asked a question that many Smash players wanted to know for quite some time which is if there ever will be a handheld version of the game, and everything else seems like straightforward interview questions.

Working the floor at GDC you really can't expect them to do a 20 page long interview similar to Iwata asks, and be on such a personal level, Iwata asks was great but left out a couple of questions that this interview tried to cover, even though asking them made them seem like they were disappointed in the game itself, which is not the case.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

The_vagabond7 said:
The negativity isn't directed at Sakurai, and what he said. It's directed at the douchebags at IGN that are essentially asking him why his game isn't better.

IGN: We know this game is perfect and awesome compressed onto a Wii disc, buuuut...couldn't you have made it a little MORE perfect?

Sakurai: Um...no?

IGN: Are you sure?

Sakurai: Um...yes?

IGN: Double super extra sure with a cherry on top?

Sakurai (strains to keep a straight face): Yes.

IGN: OK, thanks for the interview. By the way, you're sure?

Sakurai (crushes Smash Ball, glows): Yes! Now get out of here before I Final Aether your sorry ass. 

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

I think the answers point to the difference between the Wii and the other consoles.

The Wii is designed with all people in mind. Because of that, it does some different things and does not do things that other consoles do.

The PS3 and X360 are designed with gamers in mind. Because of that, they do things that are expected of them but things that non-gamers may not like.

Also, you have to remember that many Wii owners don't go on-line, so having on-line only unlocks may not be well-received. (I still hate the fact that there are on-line only unlocks that I cannot unlock on some Dreamcast games).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

@Mike
Where have you been?!? I mean you saying Wii gamers don't go online but there's many Wii channels and VC downloads to disprove that, many sites dedicated to swapping friend codes and playing games online, and no I don't agree on online unlockables but you shouldn't say many people don't go online. The whole idea for the next Smash after Melee was having it go online. The Wii does what people and gamers both want but in their own way.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

No DLC... **cry**

My hope for more characters are buried.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

@ Elgefe
Well there is DLC in terms of downloading maps, videos and pictures, so dont be sad you can have loads of fun with that.

Ideas already for a new one makes me happy.

And I'm SO sick of people wanting a Smash Bros DS. Just let it be a console game.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Wow. Way to put a damper on the mood right before launch, guys--especially by asking questions everyone already knew the answers to!

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I dont see another Smash for at least 7 years from now.
And hey guys, Sakurai looks young, How old is he?

Proud owner of all three consoles and handhelds.

Gamertag: MrKetchup911 (Add me up)