By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray Triumph May Be Short-Lived for Sony

Bodhesatva said:
windbane said:
Bodhesatva said:
windbane said:
Bodhesatva said:

The simplest and easiest explanation for the situation is this:

If nothing else before it did so, the adoption of the MP3 format as the evolution to the CD format proves that most people care about convenience, and are only marginally concerned with increased audio/visual quality.

Blu Ray only offers increased audio/visual quality.

Digital downloads can offer improved audio/visual quality and increased convenience.

Of course, as others have noted (I think Xenophon13 gave a very clear explanation), we may be farther from mass adoption of digital distribution than some here seem to think, and 5+ years is more than enough time to establish a new format like Blu Ray, so we'll see how it plays out.

Still, for those of us keeping up with these sorts of things, it is a bit disturbing to see the next evolution already taking shape even as Blu Ray is just beginning to establish itself. It would be like Blu Ray already having been invented and on the fringes when DVD was just starting out.

mp3s that are 192kbps are indistinguishable from cds (at least to most people). However, mp3s have not killed off cds. How many times do people have to make this argument?

As others have said: the big thing about itunes and others is that you can download indivdual songs. However, you don't get a booklet with that, nor do you get any other special features. CDs are still around. Oops, I made the argument again.

I agree we are years away from online distribution being used for purchases of full movies with special features. Until then, it will just be competing with rentals.

In order for me to consider buying a movie online I would need several things:

1. 1080p streaming

2. special features

3. movie stored on server with instant access from any location I can sign in from

The problem with that 3rd condition is no company can allow that because I could just share that account with other people. Therefore I will be tied to whatever box I'm using (apple tv, tivo, comcast, etc). That sucks. I can't let people borrow the movie and I can't watch it in multiple rooms without networking or multiple boxes. I also can't take those movies on a trip with me without location-free equipment.

However, let's say I just want 1080p streaming with all the special features available instantly at just 1 location. Well, blu-ray bit rates can be quite high, and I'd need a broadband connection significantly faster (72Mb/s would require 9MB/s connection which is 9 times faster than I get). That would only work with no connection interruption.

So yeah, I think it's pretty far off. Online distribution only competes with video rental stores. I look forward to trying Netflix's online rentals, but I will still buy movies. Most people buy and rent movies.

It's like you agree with everything I'm saying, but somehow manage to make it seem like we disagree.

CD and MP3 quality are nearly indistinguishable to most people? So... you agree it's a drop in audio quality? That there is no advancement in audio quality at all, but instead a (minor) drop? We agree on this then? Good.

And the iTunes example only further proves my point as well, doesn't it? Not having to purchase entire albums is another convenience. You can just buy single songs!

Add that to the list: you can buy single songs and not just albums, the players are smaller, they don't skip, and they hold significantly more songs without having to put in new data.

I think we're going to keep repeating the MP3 adoption because.. it absolutely proves the point so clearly that it shouldn't be forgotten. I'm sure Sony is glad to hear that CDs are still alive (Which they are, but declining as every format does as its gradually phased out), but Sony clearly isn't happy about the near-complete collapse of their Walkman empire. That huge mistake was likely the single largest reason that Stringer was brought to the helm. He's done an admirable job since then, but the damage to their music-player empire was already done.

As others have said, you can't just buy a single song in a movie, so the advantage is lessened. Itunes also has DRM that is annoying, which is why Universal, I believe, left them.

mp3s are the same quality as cds to most people, but movie downloads are not on par with blu-ray quality.

mp3s have been around for many many years, and yet cds are still around. I said we agree that if streaming movies happens it will be 5 years as mentioned by that article above, and even then blu-ray will still be successful.

On this point: "Add that to the list: you can buy single songs and not just albums, the players are smaller, they don't skip, and they hold significantly more songs without having to put in new data."

Just to respond in order concerning the comparison with movies: you won't buy single chapters of movies; the players are not smaller; blu-rays don't skip because they are unscratchable, but streaming movies can freeze and skip if your internet connection screws up (or cable connection); and you can hold more data when it is compressed but the quality of streaming is not 1080p.

I just don't think it will be any time soon that movie downloads are as good of an option as mp3s, and it will still be more of a rental thing.

I think I see the problem you're having here: you're defining "convenience" much too narrowly. Convenience can take a variety of forms; again, MP3 players benefitted hugely from being more portable, unskippable, and capable of carrying more songs at once. I think you've managed to convince yourself that the MP3 revolution  is specifically and only about the ability to buy individual songs, when it isn't; that's a specific example of a general phenomenon, and that phenomenon is convenience. 

As a similar example, DVDs were adopted not particularly because of superior visual/audio quality, but because they lasted longer (VHS naturally deteriorated over time even when taken care of) and particularly and most especially because they eliminated the need to rewind or fast forward ever again.

Convenience, convenience, convenience. Whatever shape that convenience takes isn't important -- it can be increased portability, removing the need to rewind and fastforward, or allowing you to buy individual songs instead of full albums -- the important thing is that you make the products easier to use. 

And while Blu Ray offers nothing but superior image/audio quality, I can name some pretty significant conveniences that Digital Downloads provide; you never have to leave your house to buy or rent a movie ever again. I can name another: your movies are un-losable, as any time you "lose" your downloaded copy you can re-download it. I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of, but those alone are pretty huge.

Again, just for emphasis, I totally agree we're several years away from this being a remotely mass-marketable idea, so I think there's time for Blu Ray to grow. I'm pointing out why I personally expect Blu Ray adoption to be comparatively slow and less lucrative than DVD adoption was, and digitial distribution will be.  

If you can just redownload a purchased movie online, then so can a friend (just like the PSN that lets you download 5 times which cuts down on profit). If it's limited to one machine (as the 360 is, I believe), then blu-ray is more convenient for purchasing because you can take it wherever you want. Either way there are problems with downloads. Not having to leave the house is nice, but so is not waiting a day for the movie to start or having a connection problem and having to start the movie over or only having 24 hours to watch or not having the quality you want. The convenience isn't there yet, and for purchases there will always be advantages to buying a non-digital media. I agree with you that blu-ray won't be adopted as fast as DVD, but that's because the quality jump isn't that huge, as you say. With the PS3, which happens to be a great dvd player, I've watched downloaded movies and they are fine. I'm talking movies that are .7 to 1.4 gigs. It's not like you can't see what's happening. I'd rather see them on blu-ray and if I bought the movie I would definitely get it on blu-ray. So yeah, downloading is convenient, but not for purchasing.

Around the Network

Comcast is working on being able to download HD content at 4 min for a full length.  If you really think about it, THAT would be amazing, since this would be the fast ability to get HD content...Faster than driving to a store to get the movie, or waiting for it to get mailed from a online retailer.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

I download, and watch movies for free, on my computer. I have never spent a single penny on music. I have always got my music for free on the Internet. The only thing I will pay for now is video games, because I am a collector, and besides, you cannot emulate everything.

a.l.e.x00 said:
I download, and watch movies for free, on my computer. I have never spent a single penny on music. I have always got my music for free on the Internet. The only thing I will pay for now is video games, because I am a collector, and besides, you cannot emulate everything.

We'll see what you are about to say after your ISP start throttling your traffic. Learn the term "net neutrality" before it gonna die this year. The same goes to all those easy HD comers who saying digital distribution is guaranteed takeover, "just add some more infrastructure".

please read this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=18455#end

it's almost here.

EDIT: the link is to an article in the economist, which talks about online distribution of movies.  a must-read if you are posting in this thread at all.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network

I find discs to be too bulky. The VHS->DVD transition had notable size difference, while DVD->BluRay doesn't.
A minidisc-sized BR discs would suit me better.
Even better, 50 gb flash cartidges would be nice.

Yes they are pretty big but many of those 5-6 DVD sets could be shrunk onto one blu-ray disk and actually would be cheaper to manufacture too

you can fit an entire season of most SD TV shows on just one blu-ray disk.

Some blu-ray's also use 2 or more disks though i think in some cases that is due to using single layer 25GByte disks.

But in any case get a CD-DVD pouch throw away the covers and you can easily fit 50 disks in a space the size of a hardcover book.

It's not bad considering 50*50Bg blu-ray disks that would be 2.5 Terabytes of data.

2.5Tb of blu-rays probably weigh less than equivelant HDD storage , less space , more robust, and water safe.

Flash cartridges cost way to much for general distribuition of high volume data.

The beauty of optical disks like CD, DVD and Blu-ray is they can stamp disks out at huge volumes for very low cost. 

PS3 number 1 fan

Digital Distribution will sure grow fast but it will take a LONG TIME before it will be more popular than DVD/BR. Not sooner than 10 years I say.

I'm sure that Netflix is a succesful project, but it owns like 0.1% of market share at most right now.