By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray Triumph May Be Short-Lived for Sony

I said it before and I'll say it again, digital distribution will win if they manage to put out there a product that is hip and mainstream like the IPod. The reason why digital distribution is not up there yet is because of that. You say that people prefer hard copies and someone said that ITunes failed is COMPLETELY false. People don't buy hard copies of CDs that much anymore (didn't CD sales drop like 60% in the last 5 years?) and ITunes is doing fantastic, its just competing against other downloading services and illegal downloads.

Personally I like to watch my TV shows online on the networks and I like the way Netflix works watching movies streamed online. Mark my words, if there's ever a store device that is cool and hip like the IPod that will end the disc format as we know it.

What are you looking at, nerd?
Around the Network

yep, that's my goal. I don't plan on every buying another disc. I want full digital downloading.

My steps.

1. Get newer comp capable of this w/ large storage.
2. Get HDTV
3. Get latest wifi network in home (N + newest tv set tops that can transmit HD)

I just finished step one. I plan on being there by mid 2009 with steps 2/3. I don't want to spend ~$2k on a TV right now as mine is working perfectly and the wifi stuff that transmits HD is too new and expensive right now. By mid-2009 I should be good on both fronts.

I don't see myself ever buying a Bluray player. In fact I will only keep the DVD player due to my video camera.

For me, the only upside to buying a dvd vs renting it is that I don't have the hassle of taking it back to the store in time.

Music downloads is a big hit. I don't see the big difference (in concept) in owning a digital copy of a song and owning a digital copy of a movie. If people really wanted to own their discs that much, music downloads wouldn't be a hit.

Edit:

I've quoted this in another thread:

And Apple has to date shifted 125 million TV shows and seven million movies this way. [iTunes]

http://www.paidcontent.org/entry/419-jobs-macworld-keynote-movie-rentals-apple-tv-take-two-target-widescreen/

Well if I'm gonna buy something I MUST have a hard copy. Discs are way to go. But the future of is that it will be digital media instead of physical media.

Well, I support blu ray so I'm up for it.

xenophon13 said:
This is the best argument against download movies:

According to The New York Times, the Internet movie download era is more distant than pundits think, for six colossal reasons:

First, downloadable movies require high-speed Internet connections — and only about half of American households have them. That number won’t change much for years.

it is true that many american households do not have high speed internet.  you're probably being generous by saying half.  however, in 2009 tv will make it's transition to digital and the frequency spectrum they currently use will be up for auction.  these frequencies will be great for a wireless broadband signal which could change things a lot.  right now a great number of households simply can't get a broadband signal (my parents for instance) simply because the cable company does not support it in their neighborhood.  wireless could change that (which of course depends highly on who wins the bid and what they decide to do with it.

Second, downloaded movies don’t include the director’s commentaries, deleted scenes, alternate endings, alternate language soundtracks or other DVD goodies. It’s just not as rich an experience.

how hard would it be to add those features?  not very as that it's purely additional content and could be added.  it's features like picture in picture that would be hard to implement but i don't see that as a breaking point for the format.

Third, movie downloads don’t deliver the audio and video quality of DVD discs — even standard-def ones. Internet movies are compressed to download faster, which affects picture quality, and offer older, more compressed audio soundtracks than modern DVDs.

i downloaded a movie from xbox live just to see how it looked and sounded.  i'd say it looked good.  certainly not 7.1 HD sound but fuck it, my sound system is stereo so what do i care.  and don't forget that MP3s are worse in quality than CD and yet it is still an extremely popular format simply because of the other features it adds such as smaller device size, lack of skipping, and negligible physical storage.  the example of MP3 doesn't make it a rule that people will go for the lower speced format with unique features but it's certainly disproves the rule that the higher speced format will always win.

Forth, today’s movie-download services bear the greasy policy fingerprints of the movie studio executives — and when it comes to the new age of digital movies, these people are not, ahem, known for their vision.

completely true and i think this is the biggest hurdle that downloading services will face. 

Fifth, no matter which movie-download service you choose, you’ll find yourself facing the same confusing, ridiculous time limits for viewing. You have to start watching the movie you’ve rented within 30 days, and once you start, you have to finish it within 24 hours. For example, the 24-hour limit. Suppose you typically don’t start a movie until 7:30 p.m., after dinner and homework are put away. If you don’t have time to finish the movie in one sitting, you can’t resume at 7:30 tomorrow night; at that point, the download will have self-destructed.

netflix - unlimited downloads from their entire library for at low as $9 a month.  granted - there entire library is only 7000 titles but it's a start and something i'm excited about.  to potential is amazing.

Sixth, there’s the fact that to protect their cash cows, most studios don’t release their movies on the Internet until (at least) a month after they’ve been available on DVD.

also true but it's kind of the same point as point 4.  right now execs are afraid of the internet but if they don't make a change eventually illegal services will cannibalize their industry just like MP3s are cannibalizing the music industry.

The rest of The New York Times article reviews and rates four currently available movie-download services — Apple TV, TiVo/Amazon Unbox, Xbox 360, and Vudu. Xbox 360 receives an overall rating of "D", the lowest rating of the four services.

http://n4g.com/tech/News-113808.aspx

The point is that pundits on both sides are trying to convince people they are right...we can post articles back and forth if you want!

....you have some very valid points and really i could see the industry going either way.  it's just that personally i'm  excited about the direction netflix is going and will be hoping that they have success.

Around the Network
stranne said:
@ssj12:

I don't think file sizes will get bigger than Blu-Ray for a while, do you?

And your 1.3MBs(Megabytes I presume) connection would be enough to stream the movie.

Blu-ray is scalable remember, 4-layer Blu-ray discs do hold 100GBs so it will be a while before anything goes above what Blu-ray can hold at an affordable price.

For streaming video its a matter of the site/service your streaming from as its a matter of their limitations on speed.  If you stream from a site that maxes out at 200KBps your not going to have to let a movie buffer for at least 20 - 30 minutes before you even want to try to hit play and hope it buffers fast enough that you dont watch 40 minutes of the movie and hit the buffer which could cause you to either A. have to re-watch the entire movie from the start again or B. wait another 20 or so minutes to watch the rest of the movie.

This is the reason why On-Demand services in HD suck. You buy a link to the streaming content but if the connection to the movie takes a moment to connect successfully then if the stream for the movie is being watched by over a hundred people the transfer is slowed does which can create artifacts through out the movie due to errors in the buffer or worse cause an error which will make you have to restart the movie where you left off if the current media stream is back up functioning correctly. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

@kitler Yeah i am excited by the netflix thing as well...especially if they do it over the PS3 so i can what the movies on my tv. I am not to into watching movies on my computer

In our local grocery store (Giant) they have this vending machine for DVD's called Redbox. I can rent a movie for 99 cents a night! They are new releases, but not always a big selection. Since I live 1/2 mile a way I do this.

kn said:
Just a quick thought...

The person that can't afford the bandwidth to download movies probably won't be buying a high def player and hardcopies anyway...

Until high dev players are sub $100 and the disks are the same price as current DVDs, high-def downloads via the digital cable box and through other means will have an opportunity to grow. I'm sure Sony recognizes that price is key and will do what they can to get player prices down. Without HD-DVD as a competing format, that incentive isnt' as great, however.

That's not exactly true, the internet I'm paying for can't even handle online gaming (well... not after December apparently) yet I have a PS3 with a blu-ray player and our apartment comes with an HDTV. I'm not saying that downloadable content isn't the next logical step, but I don't think it'll really get going until broadband gets to those faster speeds and such. Even when the internet connection at our apartment was good enough to play games, it would still take forever to download much of anything (even a short youtube video).

However, once you get a faster internet, you feel like you can't go back. We have a 7mb connection at home and we have a 30 day trial at our apartment for a speed that fast. My other room mates don't really want to pay for a faster connection so I'm trying to enjoy some internet freedom for the rest of the month.

Still, it's an interesting feature and I'd like to use it. However, I still want to be able to have the physical disks.

Heck, we also have a trial on some digital channels and VOD stuff and we don't even have a good enough signal to watch any digital content.

ssj12 said:
stranne said:
@ssj12:

I don't think file sizes will get bigger than Blu-Ray for a while, do you?

And your 1.3MBs(Megabytes I presume) connection would be enough to stream the movie.

Blu-ray is scalable remember, 4-layer Blu-ray discs do hold 100GBs so it will be a while before anything goes above what Blu-ray can hold at an affordable price.

For streaming video its a matter of the site/service your streaming from as its a matter of their limitations on speed.  If you stream from a site that maxes out at 200KBps your not going to have to let a movie buffer for at least 20 - 30 minutes before you even want to try to hit play and hope it buffers fast enough that you dont watch 40 minutes of the movie and hit the buffer which could cause you to either A. have to re-watch the entire movie from the start again or B. wait another 20 or so minutes to watch the rest of the movie.

This is the reason why On-Demand services in HD suck. You buy a link to the streaming content but if the connection to the movie takes a moment to connect successfully then if the stream for the movie is being watched by over a hundred people the transfer is slowed does which can create artifacts through out the movie due to errors in the buffer or worse cause an error which will make you have to restart the movie where you left off if the current media stream is back up functioning correctly. 

Yes, I meant that I don't see file sizes over 50GB for a normal movie for a lot of years. So that is a pretty stationary target.

I know the theory...but 200KBps?!? And there are ways to better use bandwidth when more people are using the same stream. For example Joost uses a smarter scheme.