By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - How come the NHL is'nt more popular in America.

jlmurph2 said:
Because a good amount of hockey players aren't even from America playing on American teams. Our popular pro sports are the ones that majority of American High Schools and Universities have too.

Think you might be confusing the chicken and the egg?

Around the Network

Because football, basketball and baseball don't take any knowledge to understand. Casual watchers can sit down and know whats going on easily. My last two relationships when my girlfriends were watching with me I had to teach them the rules as we watched and explain why they were the way they were. After they understood it they loved the sport. Faceoffs, restricted areas, face off dots, blue lines, red lines, goal creases, goal lines, line changes ect ect all play a role in the sport and no one would know without explinations.

hollabackenny said:
All these hockey fans and hardly any post in the nhl thread...

I saw this thread during my ban and knew I'd post in here. Didn't expect 5 pages of responses when I got a chance though and thought the exact same thing when I saw the responses.

OT - For a more sarcastic response. Also why it isnt as big.... because most people havent seen the mighty ducks movies. They should make another trilogy with Emilio for the younger generation and interest in the sport would boom again.

Volar said:
Nevermind said:
Love it here in aus play it on ps3 clocked over with my brother in gm connected into our seventh season can watch every game via my nhl gamecentre app.. I do wish it was more popular over here tho, bit hars i guess with not much in the way of natural snow/ice

Hey man. Im in the same boat, an nhl loving aussie. Im just glad the internet was invented otherwise we would be pretty screwed here when it comes to televised games. By the way.... Go Flyers!!! Haha  

yes very true, where would we be without the net ... foxtel shows only original team games and very limited at that...anyway nice to see another Nhl fan here in Australia.... Go the Penguins though !!!

Fancy that a rivalry for those two all the way over here... hehe