By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Unreal Engine III tech demo (Gears of War 2 FOOTAGE)

100 enemies in the traditional sense (in a shooter á la Gears) - impossible.

100 dumbed down, low polygon enemies - possible (and probably already implemented in games á la Serious Sam for the PC) but undesirable in most games.

Around the Network

"There is a bit of a difference between dozens and a hundred, wouldn't you agree?"

Yes but there is not much difference between dozens on an old Pentium half a decade ago and hundreds on a modern 360/PS3.

"Also a bit of a difference between a strategy game and a third person shooter?"

Yes RTS games should have better AI .

"Is was my understanding that developers are not at present capable of writing an 'AI script?' for 100 seperate enemies that will work well"

Do you base this on anything? The thing is unlike graphics you cannot quantify AI. The "rules" the bots have will not be very computation expensive (normally) there will be bigger problems computing line of sight, way-finding etc. And there are always ways to make this more or less efficient. I am almost sure, that displaying 100 objects with thousands of polygons is much more expensive than computing normal AI interactions, but this of course depends on what you do. But I am pretty much sure that "is not possible" is wrong.

Here mrstickball. you want a game with over 100 enemies on screen with advanced AI? Go ti minute 1:35 and prepare to be blown away!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Warhawk, eh?

I would tend to think that a FPS/TPS would have a little bit more AI needs than a fighter game...But that's just me. Heck, Falcon 4.0 had thousands of AI doing stuff at once. It just wasn't amazing.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

That was a nice clip until those awful screens from Warhawk came up lol

Around the Network

The way I see it, Gears of War only had a few guys fighting in primarily tight areas throughout the entire game. Unless the field of play is suddenly largely expanded, I'm thinking that this whole "100 enemies" thing will just be you shooting at people as they run by while some will stop to distract you. A part of me even thinks that you'll just be trying to do stuff while laying low like sneaking under the street where all of these Locus will be running.

Or they will be in an event in which you see them off in a distance running from place to place and 8-10 will break off to attack you while you're moving on.

Still, I think it would be good if they can break away from the small environments and put much larger areas of combat into this game. I thought the part about the water was funny and my mind screamed Uncharted: Drakes Fortune to me (especially when the guy talked about driving something like a jetski). Yes, the meat cube and water ball were pretty cool.

*edit*-

Good, they're also adding some more physics... Using the chainsaw to break objects felt stupid as holding it next to a desk would result in only half of the desk suddenly bursing into blocks. Same thing for gibs, they would just explode into chunks and I'd be like "WTF...". It was also weird how you have the cutscenes with all of these great physic interactions such as the helicopter crashing into a building, but nothing even close to that in-game.