By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Namco not happy with PS3 sales!!!

sounds about right.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

My guess is that sega must be feeling the same with virtual fighter 5

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

What's the best selling PS3 game in Japan?

and how many good games have namco-bandai released in the last 4 years? like 10 out of... 60 give or take.. sorry... if they stopped making games it wouldn't be a lose to the industry at all.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Namco's IP's aren't as hot as they used to be.

Even Tekken. Tekken 4 sold over a million copies whereas Tekken 5 is just over 500,000K. Hopefully, Tekken 6 with online play will change this, but I digress.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Around the Network
ioi said:
Namco-Bandai has released an announcement regarding their software plans for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii. Namco-Bandai cites slower than expected sales of the PlayStation 3 leading them to a less-than-projected sales mark of 300,000 for Gundam Musou (the Gundam beam 'em up that plays like Dynasty Warriors). Namco-Bandai's original prediction for the game was 500,000 sold.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/1190.html

In another thread it had Namco-Bandai's initial prediction as "at least 500,000 units sold" which (IIRC) was the initial run for the game. In an interview with Gundam Musou's chief producer Yoshiyasu Horiuchi this was said:

"1UP: Gundam Musou has consistently been on the Most Wanted lists in Japan since it was announced. Some people have even gone so far as to say it's the most important game for PS3 this year. How does that make you feel? Did that add a lot of pressure?
YH: There's always a lot of pressure involved in developing a Gundam game. We really felt it this time because of the game's budget and the fact that we were developing it on next-generation hardware. Plus, we were borrowing the Musou brand and using Omega Force staff to develop our concept, which added to the pressure. We're very pleased that this has led to Gundam Musou being called one of the most important PS3 titles, and we hope it'll help to expand the PS3 userbase in Japan.

"1UP: Well it's certainly expected that Gundam Musou will push PS3 sales in Japan. Have Ken Kutaragi and Sony been appreciative and supportive of the game?
YH: At a recent event in Tokyo, Mr. Kutaragi commented that he would be supporting us with this title. We were very pleased to hear that."

At an industry insider meeting Koei cofounder Keiko Erikawa said this about Gundam Musou:

"We've made a fantastic game. Gundam Musou is the most ordered PlayStation 3 game, but it's just one tenth of the sales we're thinking of. For us, Bandai's Gundam is one million , and the Musou series is one million. We'd like to sell a total of two million copies."

They want to sale +1 millon they better speed up the NA and Euro releases.

Eh, just one of the few games so far that were supposed to be the saving grace of the PS3, in Japan at least. I guess we'll have to wait for another few months as March was not a winner.

ssj12 said:
and how many good games have namco-bandai released in the last 4 years? like 10 out of... 60 give or take.. sorry... if they stopped making games it wouldn't be a lose to the industry at all.

Don't underestimate their role in the japanese industry. They are not only a game producer but control the complete merchandising space of their products. If they are not satisfied with their japanese sells this influences other japanese producvers to stay out of this difficult market. That's the problem. 

Especially thei old Gundam Wing title won't have a real chance in the rest of the world. While "Gundam Wing" isn't unknown outside of Japan, it never got the status that the series had in Japan. 

RolStoppable said:
Blue3 said:
They want to sale +1 millon they better speed up the NA and Euro releases.

Gundam isn't a big brand in NA and europe, if they are lucky they could do 100k each I guess.

True true.  I guess that there are still a lot of gundam fans around here (Amerika and Europe).

How much sold Dynasty Warriors?  The games never score good but they sell still well I guess.