By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Songwriters wants to withdraw money directly from your bank

Let me be the first here to say, WHAT THE F*CK!

I don't listen to music and I am sure I am not the only one.

Even when I do, I don't listen to Western/English music. 

And I am supposed to shell out $5 monthly?

They already have tax on blank disc and now this? 

Source National post

Songwriters to propose $5 download fee

Charge would offset illegal downloads, says group

Vito Pilieci, Canwest News Service  Published: Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Songwriters Association of Canada will reveal a proposal Thursday that would see every Canadian's monthly Internet bill increase by $5 in exchange for the ability to download as many "illegal" music files as they choose.

The SAC says its proposal, which would require federal approval, would wipe out the need for music-selling Web sites such as iTunes.ca and PureTracks.ca, making it legal for one person to share a music CD with as many people as he or she might wish.

"That's a very reasonable amount of money to legally, without fear of any legal repercussions, to be able to download that and share it with [whomever] you want to and as many times as you want," said Eddie Schwartz, president of the songwriters' group. "On iTunes to download one album, it's $10. This is half of that and this is pretty reasonable to have access to the entire repertoire of Western music."

The organization will gather at Toronto's Ryerson University to launch the initiative and demand an immediate amendment to the Canadian Copyright Act that would establish a new right, called the Right to Equitable Reenumeration for Music File Sharing. The amendment would allow the songwriters to begin collecting fees from Canadian Internet subscribers.

Mr. Schwartz said the proposal was created at the request of federal politicians who are reviewing Canada's Copyright Act. The proposed fees could see the songwriters' association, a lobby group that represents Canada's music composers and lyricists, collect between $500-million and $900-million annually.

Sales of music in Canada was valued at $704-million in 2006, the most recent year that data has been made available, a far cry from the $1.3-billion reported during the industry's peak sales year in 1999.

Still, the amount the songwriters are demanding seems far higher than the actual damages that piracy causes the music industry. A Canwest News Service study, using the music industry's own figures, suggests that Canadian artists may only be losing as much as $118.8-million a year as the result of illegal downloading.

Statistics verifying the economic impact of music piracy to the recording industry are hard to come by. Organizations such as the Recording Industry Association of America have released studies claiming that file-sharing has led to devastating losses.

Other organizations, including Statistics Canada, have reported that file-sharing leads to an increase in song sales.

Mr. Schwartz did not dispute the estimate, but said he has received figures suggesting there could be more than 40 billion songs shared illegally in North America annually. Still, he believes it's not about the losses the industry has suffered - it's about helping to support the artists and creators of music for songs that are being shared online and not being paid for.

"We have a totally different take on this. Losses are irrelevant. I am an artist and this is a massive new use of my work, for which I am getting paid zero," Mr. Schwartz said.

He lamented the current situation of illegal file swapping online.

Canwest News Service

Around the Network

At its heart the idea isn't horrible...but in practice its a horrible idea. There is just too much potential for other industries to come in and do the same and pretty soon you are stuck with a $500 monthly internet bill because you're supposedly downloading tons and tons of movies, music, games, tv-shows, etc, etc...

To Each Man, Responsibility

I'd actually agree to this offer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

They don't mean $5 per download. They mean literally, $5 a month added to your monthly internet bill. As in, download as much as you want for $5.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

^^We all understand that, I think what sqrl wanted to say is, if this was approved what's stopping the movie companies from asking $20 a month extra pay for unlimited movie downloads, and other entertainment entities doing the same? If they were all approved, then our internet bills would sky rocket.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network

in practice it would be awful, people may redraw money from their banks if possible, and why would i get chagerd if i dont download ilegal music? its just seems and easy way out for the records industry.

iclim4 said:
^^We all understand that, I think what sqrl wanted to say is, if this was approved what's stopping the movie companies from asking $20 a month extra pay for unlimited movie downloads, and other entertainment entities doing the same? If they were all approved, then our internet bills would sky rocket.

That's definately the first thing that came into mind. Also, free legal downloads for a monthly cost. One reason why this would benefit Canadian government too, is that it would mean less money going abroad. If people buy music from foreign internet stores, it's away from GNP (on the other hand, this would effect on record sales). And one other thing, if you download foreign music, the artist isn't going to get paid for the downloads, unless someone tracks the downloads.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

thekitchensink said:
They don't mean $5 per download. They mean literally, $5 a month added to your monthly internet bill. As in, download as much as you want for $5.

I got that part just fine =P

I'm just saying it want be long before they decide that they can do the same with software companies....movies, tv-shows, and on and on...then what stops them from lobbying to up the price a bit when more companies hop on and want their fair share....then you have to regulate how it is actually split up since there is pretty much no way to tell what is DL'd at what rate...then you could have companies springing up just to claim a piece of that fat pie while they can etc...

To Each Man, Responsibility

Isn't there already some kind of hidden music/media tax on blank cds and mp3 players sold in Canada? I thought that was supposed to offset music downloads.

wait, wouldn't this hurt online sales?

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.