By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Capcom be able to retain relevancy in this gen?

fatslob-:O said:
HylianSwordsman said:
HylianSwordsman said:

It doesn't matter why Capcom dumped him, what matters is that Mega Man isn't worthless, as evidenced by the response to Mighty No 9. Now stop cherry picking from my responses. Capcom's series are damaged in some cases, but they're not all worthless. You can't seriously consider an IP like Mega Man to be worthless, it just doesn't make sense, even looking at the sales. Especially looking at the sales.

Before you start claiming that might no. 9 is a massive success why don't you wait until all of the hardcore gamers are done talking and see what statement inafune has to say about it's sales ... 

Still cherry picking I see. Alright then, let's look at this from another angle. Sales, since you seem to like that. Mega Man's best selling title was 2 in 1988. It's second best selling title is Mega Man Battle Network 4 in 2003. They didn't drop the series until 2008 with Star Force 3, which sold about half a million. Not Mega Man's fault they didn't just reboot the series again for an easy million sales.

It sounds like it's overtracked ... 

Why does it sound like that? Star Force 1 sold about a million, why can't 3 sell half a million? Just because it doesn't support your argument? Just face it, Mega Man as a franchise is worth something. It's Capcom's fault for not rebooting it.

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
HylianSwordsman said:
HylianSwordsman said:

It doesn't matter why Capcom dumped him, what matters is that Mega Man isn't worthless, as evidenced by the response to Mighty No 9. Now stop cherry picking from my responses. Capcom's series are damaged in some cases, but they're not all worthless. You can't seriously consider an IP like Mega Man to be worthless, it just doesn't make sense, even looking at the sales. Especially looking at the sales.

Before you start claiming that might no. 9 is a massive success why don't you wait until all of the hardcore gamers are done talking and see what statement inafune has to say about it's sales ... 

Still cherry picking I see. Alright then, let's look at this from another angle. Sales, since you seem to like that. Mega Man's best selling title was 2 in 1988. It's second best selling title is Mega Man Battle Network 4 in 2003. They didn't drop the series until 2008 with Star Force 3, which sold about half a million. Not Mega Man's fault they didn't just reboot the series again for an easy million sales.

Why does it sound like that? Star Force 1 sold about a million, why can't 3 sell half a million? Just because it doesn't support your argument? Just face it, Mega Man as a franchise is worth something. It's Capcom's fault for not rebooting it.

Because it means that they would be making profit on a game like that ... We all know that the DS had low as hell development costs so there would be no excuse for capcom to not make a new iteration but this just furthers my suspicion that they weren't successful. Another reason it could be is that retailers probably demanded a partial refund by contract so one reason it could have sold that decently was bargin bin sales but that still doesn't mean that it's successful seeing as how capcom may have never saw profit on it. 

HylianSwordsman said:
HylianSwordsman said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Because it means that they would be making profit on a game like that ... We all know that the DS had low as hell development costs so there would be no excuse for capcom to not make a new iteration but this just furthers my suspicion that they weren't successful. Another reason it could be is that retailers probably demanded a partial refund by contract so one reason it could have sold that decently was bargin bin sales but that still doesn't mean that it's successful seeing as how capcom may have never saw profit on it. 

This is a circular argument! You're trying to prove that Mega Man is a dead franchise by saying that Capcom wouldn't have stopped making games unless it was a dead franchise, and that therefore all the evidence against it must be in error because it's a dead franchise. That's completely illogical!

They should just become a first party studio/publisher... for nintendo or something... I mean honestly i could care less about capcom games. RE sucked last gen, SF rehashed bs spam fighter is boring... They have done nothing good with megaman since original NES...

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

HylianSwordsman said:

This is a circular argument! You're trying to prove that Mega Man is a dead franchise by saying that Capcom wouldn't have stopped making games unless it was a dead franchise, and that therefore all the evidence against it must be in error because it's a dead franchise. That's completely illogical!

I'm not saying that evidence is error. You know full well that vgchartz is about ESTIMATION. As dumb as capcom may be they still have some business sense in them left ... The same case applies to the original bayonetta as well. Why does vgchartz have it sold at around 2 million ? If it sold 2 million coppies at $60 price tag most of the time then why did sega give the rights to Nintendo ? 

YOU on the other hand simply can't say that Mega Man is alive and all well unless capcoms issues a statement about it's worth or do something with the IP.  

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:

I'm not saying that evidence is error. You know full well that vgchartz is about ESTIMATION. As dumb as capcom may be they still have some business sense in them left ... The same case applies to the original bayonetta as well. Why does vgchartz have it sold at around 2 million ? If it sold 2 million coppies at $60 price tag most of the time then why did sega give the rights to Nintendo ? 

YOU on the other hand simply can't say that Mega Man is alive and all well unless capcoms issues a statement about it's worth. 

It's not all about estimation. It's about estimation for the first few years, but even after the first few months it starts to become affected by actual reported sales, like NPD. And I never said Mega Man was alive and well, just that it's worth something. Whether Capcom sees its worth or not is irrelevant to this discussion. Now stop trying to take the discussion off course. And stop using your circular argument to speculate things you have no way of knowing if they're true. I'm bringing actual evidence, you're just speculating.

Monster Hunter 4 is one of the best-selling 3DS games despite only being available in Japan. The MH series helped propel 3DS hardware to 15 million sales in 3 years. That's pretty relevant.

If you isolate the West, they don't look relevant right now. But they haven't even gotten started yet on 8th-gen consoles, so I wouldn't count them out yet.

HylianSwordsman said:
HylianSwordsman said:

YOU on the other hand simply can't say that Mega Man is alive and all well unless capcoms issues a statement about it's worth. 

It's not all about estimation. It's about estimation for the first few years, but even after the first few months it starts to become affected by actual reported sales, like NPD. And I never said Mega Man was alive and well, just that it's worth something. Whether Capcom sees its worth or not is irrelevant to this discussion. Now stop trying to take the discussion off course. And stop using your circular argument to speculate things you have no way of knowing if they're true. I'm bringing actual evidence, you're just speculating.

And you have no idea if mega man star force 3 was successful ... The one who's using a circular argument is you because saying it sold decently doesn't equate it to being a success. 

And you have no idea if mega man star force 3 was successful ... The one who's using a circular argument is you because saying it sold decently doesn't equate it to being a success. 

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/tu-quoque

And to avoid doing the same fallacy, let me point out that the whole point of even having this discussion about sales is that YOU think selling decently means it's not a flop and therefore not dead, as you've claimed with Final Fantasy XIII.

HylianSwordsman said:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/tu-quoque

And to avoid doing the same fallacy, let me point out that the whole point of even having this discussion about sales is that YOU think selling decently means it's not a flop and therefore not dead, as you've claimed with Final Fantasy XIII.

Did I ever say that FF was dead ? No so don't put words in my mouth. You STILL have no argument if it was successful or not ...