By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Serious events that happened on the 1st of April

It's been a lovely day so far with quite a bit of funny stuff happening. But it's not long till the day's over, at least for me. But it got me thinking. You see, a couple of years ago, 2011, something happened. It was not funny, nor was it a joke, but even so, everyone thought it was just that, a joke. Because on the 1st of April 2011 the decision was taken; the emergency and the maternity ward in our local hospital were to be shut down. A horrible message in it self; the closest hospital to us lies two more hours away and some already had three-four hours to drive, but the mere fact that they did it on the first of April made it so much worse. As they say: Dick move.

Do you have any stories of serious events or happenings on the 1st of april? 

Around the Network

Well I was told that my father died on April 1st...

April Fools!

Nintentacle said:

Well I was told that my father died on April 1st...

April Fools!

Couldn't hold ya horses could ya!? :D

I joined VGChartz on April 1st, 2012.

That's not a joke.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Let's look at significant events in history occurring on April 1st, within the last 100 years, per Wikipedia

1924: Hitler was imprisoned for the failed "Beer Hall Putsch." This was when he wrote Mein Kampf.
1933: The recently-elected Nazis organize their first boycott of Jewish businesses.
1935: Founding of India's central bank.
1939: The last of the Republican forces surrender in the Spanish Civil War, cementing Fascist victory
1941: An anti-Hashemite coup in Iraq brings Iraq into the Axis Powers.
1945: American landing on Okinawa.
1948: West Berlin blockaded by East German and Soviet forces, preceding the Berlin airlift
1960: The first TV satellite broadcast
1970: The "surgeon general's warning" becomes mandated for Tobacco products by American law.
1976: Apple was founded.
1979: The Iranian Revolution is "legitimized" by a vote.
2004: Gmail launched.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

As Axum said, we're now moderators, which is pretty "real". Though, technically here that was at 12:15AM today, so it's not April 1st :P

A good thread though, I like the idea. One of the big problems is the "real" news will take a while to filter through, so we likely won't know for a while.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Square Soft, and Enix merged :C

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

Every year some people getting seriously pissed at some April Fools jokes.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

A good day to drop bad news of some kind I guess, since no one would believe it

George Orwell's 1984 feels like one big April Fool's joke 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018