By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Tales of Vesperia confirmed for 360 and US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lefty2k3 said:
I point out this post because, the Xbox360 has more stereotypically "Japanese" games than Ps3 does in Japan right now. Microsoft has two major exclusive RPG's, a ton of Namco/Bandai exclusives (Ace Combat, Katamari, Culdcept), and every major Ps3 game except 2 went multiplatform. Ps3 has.....Disgea 3 (SP), Folklore, and sooner or later Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, and White Knight Story (in terms of the stereotypical "Japan" appeal)

You're delusional, like most XB360 owners that supposedly love JRPG. Saying something as wrong as "the Xbox 360 has more stereotypically Japanese games than PS3 does in Japan" is plain wrong and nonsense.

MS perhaps have 2 major exclusive RPG, but not 2 major exclusive JRPG, which is what we're discussing there, which is what ToV is. 

Oh boy...I shouldn't say this......in Japan, right, now, Microsoft should be winning. They have the better lineup and the price is better. By all logic, Tales of Vesperia should not be being sent "out to die" (I agree that is, in the current state of affairs) In terms of 2008 game lineup, Ps3 is going to make huge strides this year, but in 07 Ps3 lost more ground than it gained.

They should be winning only if you're delusional or a fanboy. There's no way they should be winning because they funded an unproven company. Perhaps if you believe that Sakaguchi and Uematsu are solely why FF is big, and that JRPG are what make a console succeed in Japan, you'd think MS should be winning. Reality is very different. And no, in Japan, MS doesn't have the best lineup, at all, you must be blinded by bitter tears or a heavily western focused mind.

But.....Remember early on (Early 07) how the VG Japan charts said people were buying Ps3's but weren't buying games? In America, it is really common to do a lot research before buying an expensive product.

I doubt that, I actually am sure it's completely false.

This proved that was not the case in Japan. Name me a major title at the Japan Ps3 launch if you disagree, Ridge Racer doesn't count since MS also had a Ridge Racer. Clearly the lack of titles wasn't going to stop a Japanese consumer.

Yeah right, like the Musou games for example... Really!

Microsoft has the hard fight, because it can not rely on just having the goods. They have to twist the arms of the developers (and hopefully in turn, consumers) into their product. The consumers in Japan may be stubborn but thats not going stop Microsoft from running head first into the concrete wall again and again until it breaks.

You are a perfect example of why MS fails in Japan. You have this mindset of money that can buy anything.

You have this mindset of forcing others to buy your products, calling them stubborn if they don't.

MS is proof that it doesn't work that way, and not only in gaming.

What you say about MS running head first into the concrete wall until it breaks is exactly how they operate in everu market, shooting in any direction with money, hoping to catch the target that way. No research, no study, no nothing.

Like I said countless times, you can't fight an enemy efficiently if you don't understand it.

People that still believe these things are plain delusional:

- XB360 will have the most and best JRPG

- XB360 has a lineup that appeals to japanese tastes

- XB360 owners are a big market for JRPG

Facts only prove all of these are wrong. While you can't see it, you can't understand why XB360 fails in Japan, and MS can't either, it seems.

And I'm not saying that the XB360 can't have JRPG, it has JRPG, and some are really good, even excellent, like I believe ToV will be. No, what I'm saying, is that the XB360 is marketed like a hardcore PC gamer console, with most popular genres being exactly what you find on PC. Thus why I'm not surprised to see WRPG selling very well on it. But these are games completely opposite to what console JRPG lovers like.

Around the Network

JRPG currently available for 360

- Lost Odyssey

- Blue Dragon

- Enchanted Arms

- Eternal Sonata

- Final Fantasy On-line

- Phantasy Star

JRPG currently available for PS3

- Enchanted Arms

(if you want you can also count Folklore .. but it's technically not JRPG) 

@ dodece

Can't help but think some of that rant was directed at me. I got a 360 at launch, and be getting thru disc 2 of LO today. I will wait b/c its likely the PS3 version will get extra features.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

mysticD said:

JRPG currently available for 360

- Lost Odyssey

- Blue Dragon

- Enchanted Arms

- Eternal Sonata

- Final Fantasy On-line

- Phantasy Star

JRPG currently available for PS3

- Enchanted Arms

(if you want you can also count Folklore .. but it's technically not JRPG) 

Thank you!

It's not delusion, MS has more "Japanese" games than Ps3 does. This is just the RPG end. Ps3 is going to catch up, but that won't be til the end of the year. There are major franchises in the pipeline for Ps3, but right now they aren't there.

http://vgchartz.com/japweekly.php?date=39033&console=&maker=&disp=Japanese+Name&boxartz=1

That chart is from the week Ps3 launched in Japan, the best selling games were a Ridge Racer and a poorly reviewed Gundam game. The software/hardware ratio was LESS than 1:1

http://vgchartz.com/japweekly.php?date=39208&console=&maker=&disp=Japanese+Name&boxartz=1

From May 07, again Ps3 sold more Hardware then they did Software 6 months in!! 

http://vgchartz.com/japweekly.php?date=39243&console=&maker=&disp=Japanese+Name&boxartz=1

June 07, 1 game for every 2 systems sold!?!?! The Ps3 barely hit more than a 2.5:1 ratio during its first six month, and sold anyway. 

I'll concede at the 360 launch the same thing happened, however, by the end the first month the software/hardware ratio was 4:1 and never dipped below 2:1 after that. 

You talk about understanding culture, but how can you say Sony understood culture when they couldn't provide the games that should've sold the product? People were buying the product irregardless! Why? It's much more complicated than you try to make it seem. 

How am I supposed to judge this culture given this information? 

~This rant and more from the singing game geek!

well now the ps3 is sitting at a 2.1:1 ratio in Japan. Not very good, but better.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Right now MS is trying to get as much of the jRPG market as possible before FF 13 hits on PS3. For the West, Xbox 360 is still viewed as the Madden / Halo console and Final Fantasy = jRPG, economically. Besides myself, I honestly know exactly 0 people that have a 360 not interested in sports / FPS games (Madden / Halo). 0 people besides myself that own a 360 and go to gaming message boards like jRPGs. I'm thoroughly enjoying the 360's selection of jRPGs at the moment, but once FF hits PS3, it's going to become much more expensive for MS to keep moneyhatting the genre. They are going to have to keep compete with the user-base developed by FF 13 on the PS3 and the user base naturally developed on the Wii.

But speaking of this game, I will buy it first day.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

disolitude said:
@ Dodece

dude, remind me never to argue/debate with you. You got every angle covered...

I reckon

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

FinalEvangelion said:
Right now MS is trying to get as much of the jRPG market as possible before FF 13 hits on PS3. For the West, Xbox 360 is still viewed as the Madden / Halo console and Final Fantasy = jRPG, economically. Besides myself, I honestly know exactly 0 people that have a 360 not interested in sports / FPS games (Madden / Halo). 0 people besides myself that own a 360 and go to gaming message boards like jRPGs. I'm thoroughly enjoying the 360's selection of jRPGs at the moment, but once FF hits PS3, it's going to become much more expensive for MS to keep moneyhatting the genre. They are going to have to keep compete with the user-base developed by FF 13 on the PS3 and the user base naturally developed on the Wii.

But speaking of this game, I will buy it first day.

I agree, MS is doing its best to change that. They've made hella strides (see: RPG's on 360 list), but it's a lot of money that may not have found a return. Microsoft has to make a much of a stride NOW before FF13 comes out. The only way they will be able to continue their current path in a post FF13 world is if the Ps3 ports (Lost Planet, Sonata, Tales I assume) don't do so well on their debuts, (the 360 Japan userbase is small, but game demand amoung them is high). Besides "buying" the RPGs, MS needs Fable and Mass Effect in that country like bread needs grain. Why not get some classic Final Fantasies on XBLA? That'd be sweet.... I know me, you, and one person who really play jRPGs on 360. There is a great selection, I feel bad its not being appreciated.

~This rant and more from the singing game geek!

I just hope that ToV will get to ps3 in NA. I mean, I don't own a PS3, but am much more likely to buy one than to ever get an XBOX360. I am quite surprised at Namco's decision even if they haven't ever really been a smart company. As for Sony, I think that they are currently losing a lot of RPG fans that were literally obliged to get a PS1-2 to play RPGs because they were getting pretty much all of them. I think right now, they only have FFXIII, FFXIII VS and SO 4 confirmed. They have lost DQ, might lose Kingdom Hearts and they will be the last company to get a Tales...

Oh and by the way, ToS was bigger in NA than it was in Japan. ToS KR will be bigger than ToV and it will be epic (I'm not saying ToV won't be though).