By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Dynasty Warriors 8 PS4 install size?

Nem said:

I think you are confusing with the Xbox One. I dont think PS4 games need to be installed completely in the hard drive if you have the disc.

Tbh though, i have not looked on the harddrive to see if it installed. I think its optional, pretty much like the 360 had.

Pretty sure it's mandatory. When you put a disc in the PS4 for the first time, it automatically starts installing the game, and the game wont play until the install has passed a certain point.

Around the Network
Nem said:

I think you are confusing with the Xbox One. I dont think PS4 games need to be installed completely in the hard drive if you have the disc.

Tbh though, i have not looked on the harddrive to see if it installed. I think its optional, pretty much like the 360 had. I will look it up next time i have mine on. I have this faint impression that its a settings thing you can turn off.

Yeah, it is definitely mandatory. The only question is will it play if enough space is not there. DW8 automatically installed to the HDD

rolltide101x said:
Nem said:

Tbh though, i have not looked on the harddrive to see if it installed. I think its optional, pretty much like the 360 had. I will look it up next time i have mine on. I have this faint impression that its a settings thing you can turn off.

Yeah, it is definitely mandatory. The only question is will it play if enough space is not there. DW8 automatically installed to the HDD

I took a look but i was beeing pressured to leave the TV so i couldnt do a complete investigation, but i did see that my Tomb raider did get installed aswell. I never really noticed it.

Its gotta be a feature that installs the game if theres enough space for the best performance, but it is really annoying if it doesnt at least as us if we want to do it or has settings to turn it off.

With that said... /envy you already got your copy of DW8XL. Only comes out on friday here. I have it pre-ordered.

I did notice something interesting in the 3 systems XL is coming out on. The Vita is the cheaper and most complete of the version out for sale. Costs the same as XL separatly does for PS3 and here 25 euros less than the PS4 version. But i want the shinies! xD

Zkuq said:
If I had to guess, it'll work with as little as 11 MB but it'll take more if more is available to make loading times quicker etc.

Sounds possible. I just jecked and I noticed ALL of my games have 11MB save files.

EDIT: InFamous Second Son says 42 but when I check for more details, it's because of 4 saves each labelled 11MB (So probably closer to 10.5 but rounded up)

4 ≈ One

RolStoppable said:
Nem said:

I took a look but i was beeing pressured to leave the TV so i couldnt do a complete investigation, but i did see that my Tomb raider did get installed aswell. I never really noticed it.

Its gotta be a feature that installs the game if theres enough space for the best performance, but it is really annoying if it doesnt at least as us if we want to do it or has settings to turn it off.

The speed of the blu-ray drive is too slow to continuously load gigabytes of data into the RAM, hence why all games have full mandatory installs. Not enough space on the HDD should result in new games asking you to make room by deleting old games.

Yet... the PS3 can do it? Is there really need to have all 8 Gigs filled instantly off the disc? We do have loading times still.

Surely it cant work that way... and yet it does.

I looked it up and found this:

http://ps4daily.com/2013/11/how-the-mandatory-game-install-on-playstation-4-works/

This is dumb. If the problem are the load times, they should give the consumer the choice as to wether to endure longer loadings or install the game. Not Sony making the decision for them.

Around the Network
Nem said:
rolltide101x said:
Nem said:

With that said... /envy you already got your copy of DW8XL. Only comes out on friday here. I have it pre-ordered.

I did notice something interesting in the 3 systems XL is coming out on. The Vita is the cheaper and most complete of the version out for sale. Costs the same as XL separatly does for PS3 and here 25 euros less than the PS4 version. But i want the shinies! xD

Yeah, stick with the PS4 version 1st. It is amazing... I will grab the PSVita version when it gets to 20$ or so.

RolStoppable said:
Nem said:

Yet... the PS3 can do it? Is there really need to have all 8 Gigs filled instantly off the disc? We do have loading times still.

The PS3 can do it, because it has less RAM. I don't remember the exact specs, so the following numbers are only meant to convey the ratios in rough terms.

PS3: Blu-ray 2x, 512MB RAM (0.5GB).
PS4: Blu-ray 8x, 5GB RAM (the whole 8GB aren't available to games).

The PS4 has ten times the RAM, but only four times the read speed. That's an obvious bottleneck, hence the mandatory installs. Loading times still exist, because reading the data from the HDD takes time too; however, it's obviously faster than reading data from the blu-ray disc.

Yeah... seems to be the case. I guess they made the choice to promote performance and developer freedom in creating imersive worlds.

Oh well... it could be worse. Sony calls it cashing in data and not a full copy on the disc, but yeah. Cant really be actively playing about 10 games i suppose. Its workable, though still annoying.

Since this cashable data can be deleted the DW8 box only says 11MB, wich are the saves. Mistery solved.

*edit*  Nvm.  11mb is apparently the saves from what Nem said.

rolltide101x said:

I would check it if I had enough stuff to fill up my PS4.

I'm thinking something like uninstall Killzone... make dozen of videos until fill up the HDD... then try to run Killzone again... well it is the only retail game I had for now but it shows 45GB minimum... so I guess it won't work without install... only the games with low minimum will run.

ethomaz said:

rolltide101x said:

I would check it if I had enough stuff to fill up my PS4.

I'm thinking something like uninstall Killzone... make dozen of videos until fill up the HDD... then try to run Killzone again... well it is the only retail game I had for now but it shows 45GB minimum... so I guess it won't work without install... only the games with low minimum will run.

Good idea. I will try that tomorrow or tonight and I will report back