By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - After the Layoffs Sony is Now Working on Hiring Again; Insider Explains What Happened

EB1994 said:
No way Stigs project cost them 100M...I can't believe that. Didn't games like Uncharted and TLOU cost like what...30-40m? Killzone 3 like 20M? What the hell was Stig using that 100M for lol...

Who knows. Maybe they were hoping for COD/Halo/Gears of War success and were willing to spend more money than usual.

Around the Network

The developers get exposed too much to the public. That's why when something as simple as a firing takes place in the industry every gamer on the net starts running their mouth as if the world is about to end.

Jack leaving was obvious. When people at Jack's level cant move up or can't get a promotion they leave for another company that can offer them growth. There simply was no where for him to go in the company. Yoshida aint leaving nor is Andrew House. That leaves him with no where to go so he bounced. My regional manager did the same thing a few years ago and that's how i got my promotion. Very normal process.....

Once i heard of Stig's resignation i knew right away that he blew through his budget and they had to axe him and ultimately his failing team. No one is going to reward you for blowing 100 million dollars, hell they were probably pissed at him when he blew 50 million.

Amy and Naughty Dog was up in the air, i thought that just like Jack Amy wanted some kind of promotion and ND had nothing to offer her and she left. Turns out it was headbutting and she decided to leave. Good for her, she took the high road instead of staying and possibly creating a divide in the ND studio, which would have lead to someone getting fired anyway.

Lets end these stupid threads here.

Dark_Feanor said:
Peter Dodd in full damage control.

He is just starting making shits up.

If he was any valuable insider he would have called even one of the departures and layoffs.

Pathetic, playing with people jobs and reputation just to praise a company, a company that in the last 2 years had layedoff almost 20k workers.

damage control??? everything he said made sense. you burn 100MIL and your project sucks..you get canned. simple!

He specified it was more like 75-90 million, but if you restart a game from scratch 3 times, I can see that adding up quickly, especially if you're trying to adapt to next gen architecture.  Definitely going to cost more.  

manny10032 said:
Seece said:
manny10032 said:
EspadaGrim said:
I think Evolution Studios could be in danger of being shut down IMO

Yeah they have to be the next to get "cuts". They missed the launch deadline and they still have no set release date. 

And 100MIL is A LOT to invest in a failed game. Sony must of had a lot of trust on this dude to let him throw away 100MIL.

It's an insame amount, christ think of what you could do with that 0_o.

Even in terms of video game budgest it's high.

What I don't understand (in business terms) is how do you let him reset the project so many times? It makes no business sense at all. 

and yes 100MIL is crazy high budget for a new IP

You have folks out there that would just milk the clock for their steady paycheck, year in and year out. If you have bad managers that cant get their staff in order you get shit like this. Stig was just bad at managing his staff, his team blew that 100 million not him alone.

He can direct, but he cant run the ship. He was untested, GOW was not his creation. Compare him to Cory and Jaffe, they defined GOW. Stig got lucky with GOW3, the ground work was done all he had to do was pretty much copy paste for GOW3.

Dont know why they gave him a studio, he must have had a bad team for this to happen. He will never get a studio again. "I lost 100 million dollars" on your resume does not look good.

Around the Network
manny10032 said:
Dark_Feanor said:
Peter Dodd in full damage control.

He is just starting making shits up.

If he was any valuable insider he would have called even one of the departures and layoffs.

Pathetic, playing with people jobs and reputation just to praise a company, a company that in the last 2 years had layedoff almost 20k workers.

damage control??? everything he said made sense. you burn 100MIL and your project sucks..you get canned. simple!

No, nothing he said makes any sense... 

And if he is a inserder he would have broke this "issues" a long time ago. 

But, no, he just missed every single one of the layoffs and any other.

http://weknowmemes.com/generator/meme/Captain-Hindsight/675/

I also speculate that during the PS3 era studios were given a lot extra time and money to get things running up to snuff on very difficult hardware. The PS4 was engineered so studios, not just Sony, can get the work done in in a much more time/cost effective manner. Obviously, Sony has a shorter leash this gen and they appear to be pretty serious about yanking on it.

EB1994 said:
No way Stigs project cost them 100M...I can't believe that. Didn't games like Uncharted and TLOU cost like what...30-40m? Killzone 3 like 20M? What the hell was Stig using that 100M for lol...

They said they'd been woking on it since 2010 and had rebooted it 3 times.

That all makes pretty good sense. I'm really enjoying the people hoping this isn't true so they can keep there doom and gloom story.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Cant believe so much money and time spent and no game to show.

Not to mention these guys are rockstar devs! Guys like Stig....

So dissapointed hearing this.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|