By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted 4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves Naughty Dog

gooch_destroyer said:
Goatseye said:
^sounds like damage control to me.

Whatever, dude.

Whatever girl. I can't give my opinion on the matter?

Around the Network

Don't know if this link has been posted, but here it is in case it wasn't. Don't feel like sifting through 13 pages of posts to find out soooo......

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/27/after-the-layoffs-sony-is-now-working-on-hiring-again-insider-explains-what-happened/

Sony is making smart decisions here for survival and to keep their standards for only releasing high quality exclusives (Killzone and Knack were launch titles that were no worse than any of the X1 launch titles, but I'm guessing that they are setting the bar higher for the future...and they should). Sony obviously has some issues to work out, but there is no doom and gloom to be seen here. Everything is backed by a reason and this seems like a damn good reason if you ask me.

I'm happy to see BOTH Sony and MS making changes in their gaming divisions. I would much rather see failed projects be cut so the funding can go toward something greater instead of just pushing crap out of the door just to say "here is an exclusive". One of the things Sony built with the PS3 was strong exclusive content, and the last thing they want to do is tarnish that reputation (especially since it seems MS is finally fighting back in this respect). Things will be very interesting for both sides. I've said it before and I will say it again, E3 will speak volumes. Then and only then will we truly be able to see what the two gaming divisions hold for the future.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

There's something going on at Naughty Dog. This can't be a coincidence.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

I can't help but think something fool is happening behind close doors at sony. This isn't good

MoHasanie said:
Another person?! hmm, maybe Sony cut all upper management pay as well and these people didn't want to continue working for less money.

I'm going to say this is the most likely situation.  In Japan, many upper management agree to take pay cuts for the good of the company, so there is still a job for them to have.  In America, that practice is almost unheard of.  Hell, when companies were getting money from the bailouts (bailouts that were given because their companies were going down the shitter, mind you), some upper management gave themselves pay raises or bonuses, like they did a good job getting extra money for the company from the bailout, lol.  Just a difference in business ethics, I suppose.

Around the Network

Well that sucks...

thismeintiel said:
MoHasanie said:
Another person?! hmm, maybe Sony cut all upper management pay as well and these people didn't want to continue working for less money.

I'm going to say this is the most likely situation.  In Japan, many upper management agree to take pay cuts for the good of the company, so there is still a job for them to have.  In America, that practice is almost unheard of.  Hell, when companies were getting money from the bailouts (bailouts that were given because their companies were going down the shitter, mind you), some upper management gave themselves pay raises or bonuses, like they did a good job getting extra money for the company from the bailout, lol.  Just a difference in business ethics, I suppose.

True, but the last guys to get salaries axed should be Naughty folks.

You take TLOU and Uncharted, Sony is out of stellar sellers.I mean GTA even if it is demo it sells.

Meanwhile in Japan...

Sad to see talent go but this is for the better at least for Uncharted 4. Uncharted 3 failed to surpass Uncharted 2 so hopefully we can get someone who can deliver on the hype.

Soundwave said:
Jeeeez ... this industry is falling apart, Sony is bleeding talent like craaaaaaazy.

I'm guessing the stress/creative restrictions of working on huge budget next-gen games simply isn't worth it to a lot of creative people.

Probably the stress. to money ratio.  They are probably being poached by smaller studios offering them a great compensation package as well as more free reign over their creative talents.  It happens in the semiconductor industry all the time, I cant imagine this is any different.

Wouldnt say its time to panic, but losing good people always sucks.

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto