By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do We Still believe XBO can't pass WiiU 2014?

Xbox one north America sales will outsell the wii u total sales this year. I expect xbox one to sell ten million in north America alone with 4 million units elsewhere. Wii u sales will be around 9 million at years end

Around the Network

Short version: yes. I do still believe XBone won't pass Wii U in 2014. Because I think the impact of Mario Kart 8 and later Smash Bros. will outweight the bump XB got from Titanfall. It might be "close", but no, I do not think "The Bone" will pass it up this year.

Angelv577 said:
I believe it will happen on the holiday. Wii U had been in it 2 years in a row without showing any pontential of selling huge, on the other hand, Xbox one have the pontential to sell huge this holiday season.considering US is the strongest market for Microsoft.

That is assuming that Wii U has, at any point in it's history thus far, had a MUST HAVE, console selling title that makes people go out and get the system. It really hasn't. It has a bunch of a very good games on it. But not a single one of them is that big, MUST HAVE game that makes people finally want to go ahead and get Wii U. Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. will provide that, both. An inevitable MK8 bundle deal will also likely help during the holidays, as people could then buy a Wii U both games for relatively cheap. There is alse the outside chance we get the Zelda U game late this year, and even if not, games like Sonic Boom (thankfully not developed by Sega), X, SMT x Fire Emblem, etc. will sweeten the deal.

Point being, even if XBone is poised to have a pretty strong holiday 2014, Wii U will still be cheaper, still have backwards compatibility, still have free online, and still have a larger, more robust offering of games available for it.

greencactaur said:
The hardware itself is cheap to produce (The Wii I mean), but doesn't the gamepad cause the price to be 100-200 extra? I was under the impression the hardware alone was maybe 100$ and the gamepad was around 150? Even though I've seen lots of my local stores have the U marked at 250 instead of 300 for the pass 3-5 months though.

No, the Gamepad is estimated to cost about $70 or perhaps a bit more. It's great tech, but it's not $200 expensive.

I'm going with December 2014 because I think XBox One will drop to $399 before they launch in Japan. Also the amount of games coming will spike sales. Xbox Also has a history of selling very well in the Holiday months.

Around the Network

I think mario kart 8 and smash bros will further boost wiiU sales. So im skeptical that X1 will outsell it this year. Depends on how this year goes for microsoft but im quite sure xbox one will catch up or at most outsell it by years end

We'll know after MK8 and smash bros  and when titanfall is around a few months.

I think XB1 will outsell it before the end of the year. I know Mario Kart and Smash Bros will help Wii U somewhat but I don't think they are miracle workers that can sell people a console they don't want. Titanfall + the $50 price cut is already boosting XB1 sales tremendously and launching in more markets later this year will help boost sales even more. Plus games like Halo 2 Anniversary, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive and every third party game will help sell millions more consoles by the end of the year.

Wii U is relying solely on 2 games to sell its console. Xbox One is relying on several exclusives + full third party support + being a console that does more and is generally more capable and appealing than Wii U.

It will. Destiny is going to be huge and will likely spectacularly boost both PS4/X1. Watchdogs & Elder Scrolls Online should also have a significant effect as well. I also expect Microsoft to have 1 or 2 major exclusives (my bet goes to Quantum Break & Sunset Overdrive). Meanwhile WiiU can only slow down due to the lack of games/variety.

This is more interesting than how many PS4 has been sold. Let the Nintendo VS Microsoft battle begin. But I still don't think the XBO will pass the Wii U in 2014. Maybe we can go more in detail after the E3 presentations.

I don't hate Microsoft, I don't hate PC,
I don't prefer Sony, I don't prefer Nintendo.
...Ok, I love Nintendo but this is something about tolerance, ok?

I'm a gamer with one of the greatest hobbies and I want to share this greatness with everyone.