By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Review your own console(s)! (hardware not games)

Mystro-Sama said:

I know :P I just want you to say it.

That would just ruin the fun for everyone.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

PS4: The build quality kinda lacks. It feels a little cheap even if it is solid all around. The system runs smooth most of the time, but gets loud sometimes. Kinda makes me fear for the future as my original PS3 got louder and louder over time...
The desing overall is pretty good though. The system is small, looks kinda sexy (subjective, of course) and doesn't have a power brick, which is welcome.

The controller surprised me. I thought nothing would feel better in my hands than the DualShock 3. But I was wrong. I really really like the Dualshock 4, it has nice features and works flawlessly with a PC. It's really awesome to control the mouse with the TouchPad, I don't have to get up from my couch anymore to do anything on my PC. Yeah, it isn't really he purpose of the device, but who cares? It's awesome.

The features of the PS4 lack terribly. The PS3 is just so much better when it comes to multimedia which is a huge letdown. Other than gaming, I don't use my PS4 at all. Still have my PS3 hooked up for other stuff. It will get better of course, but right now, there is literally nothing to be seen.

Positive is the menu though. It's straight to the point with no useless bullshit so you always find right what you are looking for. Install times are insanely low. I didn't have to wait longer than maybe 5 minutes until now until I could start a game. Really a step up. The same is true for download speed with WLAN. My PS3 took AGES to download something while the PS4 maxes out my 50 Mbit/s connection.

About the price, it's almost too cheap. I feared for the worst and saved 1000 € when they announced the system. So I had 600 € to spend on games and accessory, yai! Really, in this day and age, a new Next-Gen console won't get any cheaper than 399 at launch.

Yeah, what else is there to say? I don't know, it's pretty solid but not as ambitious as the PS3 was. So, for the scores:

Hardware: 8/10
Controller: 10/10
Price: 10/10
Features: 2/10

Overall: 7.5/10

PS Vita:

The PS Vita is just a sexy beast. It looks good, dat OLED is gorgeus, the hardware is top notch for a handheld. There really isn't anything you could argue about. Sure, memory cards are expensive, but the system itself is dirt cheap, so who gives a shit?

The menu of the Vita is an absolute dream. I never ever saw a device operating that fast. Hit the PS button in the middle of the game and you're straight to the menu. Go back to the game instantly. Works also perfect with Stand-By mode of course. It really blew me away and to this day, it is a smoother experience than the PS4 which is quite telling.

The features are also pretty awesome, although the system grew with the time. Youtube is there, a pretty decent browser, E-Mail, Photos (camera sucks though), Music, Videos and everything can be started multitaksing style. Wanna watch that collectibles guide on Youtube while you're in the middle of the game? No problem whatsoever! It's a whole new experience and I can't understand why people aren't hyped for this handheld.

Do I even have to say anything about Remote Play? Holy Cow, just play with your PS4 ANYWHERE. It also, blew my mind.

Scores:

Hardware: 10/10
Features: 10/10

Overall 10/10 - pure awesomeness

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Xbox one review:

Hardware: 8/10 (powerful, but not as much as ps4 or PC, will get better thoough)

Controller: 10/10 (no issues with it, literally)

Price: 6/10 (i bought it for $500, smh, but it does come with a better headset and a camera. so much cheaper now though, Anyways i gave it 6 because consoles used to be way more expensive if you consider inflation)

Features: 9/10 (BEST multitasking of this gen, seriously, snap features and being able to seemlessly switch between apps. More apps than competition also, skype is a great plus.

Backwards compatibility, not sure, but they did announce that the cloud will allow it its just not ready. 

Overall: 8.5, Great and Ambitious. 

OdinHades said:
PS4: The build quality kinda lacks. It feels a little cheap even if it is solid all around. The system runs smooth most of the time, but gets loud sometimes. Kinda makes me fear for the future as my original PS3 got louder and louder over time...
The desing overall is pretty good though. The system is small, looks kinda sexy (subjective, of course) and doesn't have a power brick, which is welcome.

The controller surprised me. I thought nothing would feel better in my hands than the DualShock 3. But I was wrong. I really really like the Dualshock 4, it has nice features and works flawlessly with a PC. It's really awesome to control the mouse with the TouchPad, I don't have to get up from my couch anymore to do anything on my PC. Yeah, it isn't really he purpose of the device, but who cares? It's awesome.

The features of the PS4 lack terribly. The PS3 is just so much better when it comes to multimedia which is a huge letdown. Other than gaming, I don't use my PS4 at all. Still have my PS3 hooked up for other stuff. It will get better of course, but right now, there is literally nothing to be seen.

Positive is the menu though. It's straight to the point with no useless bullshit so you always find right what you are looking for. Install times are insanely low. I didn't have to wait longer than maybe 5 minutes until now until I could start a game. Really a step up. The same is true for download speed with WLAN. My PS3 took AGES to download something while the PS4 maxes out my 50 Mbit/s connection.

About the price, it's almost too cheap. I feared for the worst and saved 1000 € when they announced the system. So I had 600 € to spend on games and accessory, yai! Really, in this day and age, a new Next-Gen console won't get any cheaper than 399 at launch.

Yeah, what else is there to say? I don't know, it's pretty solid but not as ambitious as the PS3 was. So, for the scores:

Hardware: 8/10
Features: 2/10

Overall: 7.5/10

PS Vita:

The PS Vita is just a sexy beast. It looks good, dat OLED is gorgeus, the hardware is top notch for a handheld. There really isn't anything you could argue about. Sure, memory cards are expensive, but the system itself is dirt cheap, so who gives a shit?

The menu of the Vita is an absolute dream. I never ever saw a device operating that fast. Hit the PS button in the middle of the game and you're straight to the menu. Go back to the game instantly. Works also perfect with Stand-By mode of course. It really blew me away and to this day, it is a smoother experience than the PS4 which is quite telling.

The features are also pretty awesome, although the system grew with the time. Youtube is there, a pretty decent browser, E-Mail, Photos (camera sucks though), Music, Videos and everything can be started multitaksing style. Wanna watch that collectibles guide on Youtube while you're in the middle of the game? No problem whatsoever! It's a whole new experience and I can't understand why people aren't hyped for this handheld.

Do I even have to say anything about Remote Play? Holy Cow, just play with your PS4 ANYWHERE. It also, blew my mind.

Scores:

Hardware: 10/10
Features: 10/10

Overall 10/10 - pure awesomeness

Damn im surprised u love the ps vita over the ps4 so much. but makes sense after reading the review

mine said:

Wii U:

Graphics: can't ask for more in such a small package. Nintendos Next-Gen titles like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze or Zelda WindWaker HD look superb. I don't care about "realism" in graphics. Sony / Microsoft don't get it this gen too. Who wants actual graphics needs a PC...

Controller: GamePad is a wonderful device and a real "deal maker". As a former Wii owner and WiiMote/Nunchuck fanatic I was skeptical. The GamePad is "OK" for GamePlay (a bit arkward to hold for long hours) but it can enhance gameplay if used correctly by the developers. Big thumps up that many titles can use the Wii controllers (which I have plenty)... Before I forget: Off-TV play is a big win. Think of being forced laying in bed. Or just wanting to check the MiiVerse etc.

Online: can't ask for more. MiiVerse is one of the greatest communities ever seen in about 25 years online. I've put some thoughts about that: it's the GamePad which enables such kind of unique communication.

Backwards compatibility: they dropped Cube-BC. Which was foreseeable. And it is a sales price thing. A Cube compatible drive would have cost much more. I guess we can rebuy Cube titles later on VirtualConsole. Wii support is a bit of letdown. But this is not the Wii Us fault but Nintendo dropping WiFi-Connection support even on real Wii and DS hardware.BTW: transfering from Wii was as easy as it could be. And NIntendo really shines here making it "non technical" in appearance...

Price: I paid 200 EUR for the WindWaker bundle. Was a non brainer at that price point.

Storage: a big win over the Wii. 32 GB of built in Flash is great to have the "just a quick game" titles on it (Wii Sports Club, Mario Kart 8). Also the ability to run titles from USB drives (Flash or spinning disk) is another welcome addition.

Downsides: USB 3 is missing. A SSD connected via USB 3 would be the best possible storage in regard to access times. It would also have made a USB-Gigabit-Ethernet adapter possible. With that a iSCSI Storage implementation would have been possible. And iSCSI via Gigabit-Ethernet accessing "real server" storage - nothing can match that.

Hardware: 9/10
B/C: 10/10
Online: 10/10

Overall: 10/10

iSCSI? are you nuts? Over USB? Man?

They should have really gone with redundant 40Gbit FibreChannel, so everybody can hook up his HP Power Vault Full Rack SAN Storage.

Around the Network

A new generation of gaming is about to begin.

Gamers from all around the globe are lined up at various retailers, the world over, the queuing of people stretched for miles, the atmosphere is electric with anticipation.
The dawn of a new era of gaming is upon us, the PC is launching, undoubtedly the most powerfull platform that we have ever had in our hot sweaty hands.
And here is what you need to know.

Compared to it's closest highest-performing competitor, the Mahogany Station, the PC offers well in excess of 10x the performance, that's some serious pixel collider action hitting your retina's right there folks'.
It simply cannot and will not be matched.

Real life Pixel Collider:

Mahogany Station:

The PC features such hardware as:

Up-to 64Gb of System Ram. - That's enough memory to relieve everyone of dementia, the world over!
Up-to four Radeon R9 290X's. - That's in excess of 22 Teraflops of pixel pushing power!
Up-to a 5ghz 8-core processor. - It can read minds!
Drive Space counting into the Petabytes. - You heard that, Petabytes, That's allot of Word documents!
Upto Six, 4k displays for a total of 12,000 x 4,000 resolution. - That puts anything else to shame.
It also supports the Keyboard and Mouse as expected for precision controlling. - Nothing else exists does it?
Also supports Load Balanced twin 1 Terabit fibre cable. (Only available in certain locations* extra hardware may be required.)

The cases style...You have a plethora of choices, like hot pink with frilly bits? Then just like some of the more dubious of women... You shall have it, whatever you want.
It's yours.
The PC has also been what seems like, in development for decades, backwards compatability with all software that has come before it is pretty much guarenteed.
It is also so incredibly forward-thinking that it will remain compatible with all software that comes after it, that's right. - Just drop in a new graphics card and you are set for years.

Many are already declaring that the PC is the only gaming system they will ever need... And with darn good reason too, it just does everything, even feed your cat and walk your dog and even check in on your grandmothers health.

And only for a low price of $10,000, even my pet cat's best friends pet poodle's wife's can afford that.

In wake of this new launch, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are said to be readying new consoles in order to compete, named the Xbox One, Playstation 4 and Wii U, however early reports show that, even with all systems combined, they aren't even 1/5th as powerfull, they also don't come in pink. - They should be shamed for that alone.

Sorry, had to really rub in the satire. :D

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

making it short:

WiiU: 8
3DS: 9
PC; 10

the_dengle said:
You want me to review my consoles while removing their library of games as a factor entirely? Very well.

0/10, useless brick, would not buy again -- all of them

This.

Due to the time limit I have before work starts,
WiiU: 6 only because it is like my wii experience, no games but the ones nintendo publishes with only one or two exceptions, it now collects dust just like the wii. It would be lower but BC gave it a bump. Power brick :(.

Ps4:9 improved online, improved menu, better performance of games, best designed system with no power brick.

Xbo:7 i hate windows 8 so the menu does nothing for me, I do like the xbo capable of playing blue rays, the tv part is ok, but it makes my tv take much longer to change resolutions between channels, and I get the black screen of death every once in awhile, the usb on the side is retarded when it cant even go vertical one in the front would be more useful, and boo the power brick, and the kinect works sometimes or not at all, its a waste of space so it now sits behind the tv.

WiiU:

This system represents a generational leap from Wii, which, honestly, is all I need. The technology inside is more than enough, especially considering how small, sleek, quiet, and dependable the console actually is.

WiiU is fully backward compatible, with Wii games and Wii accessories, which is a huge plus in my mind. Having already invested a lot in software and controllers over the last generation, it's nice being able to double dip, so to speak.

Moving on to the WiiU controllers, I'm impressed on all fronts. The GamePad is something new and exciting in a world of iterative controllers, and the Pro Controller is one of the best "traditional" controllers I've used. The sheer number of available controllers is something special, too. Many WiiU games allow players to choose from GamePad, Pro Controller, or Wiimote/Nunchuk combo.

Probably the most interesting and innovative thing about WiiU is its social networking apparatus Miiverse. I've never felt more connected to my peers around the world than I have on WiiU. Being able to join communities, share achievements, and view amazing artwork is a real treat.

Let's see, what else? The interest browser is by far the best I've used, thanks in large part to the GamePad. The eShop is easy to navigate and full of great titles, new and old -- although the Virtual Console library is rather anemic at this stage in the game.

So what's not so great? The online infrastructure is not as sophisticated or as reliable as those on Sony and Microsoft systems, not to mention PC. The system itself has a lot of parts -- if I want to move the thing I need to transport the console, the power brick, the HDMI, the sensor bar, the cradle, etc. It's a lot. Another potential issue: storage. 32GB is nice, but I'm coming from 160GB on PS3. The option for external hard drives is nice, but I'd rather the storage was internal. Don't want to lug around yet another piece of hardware  

As for price, I think $300 is more than reasonable for the WiiU, especially considering you'll get access to Nintendo's first-party games.

PSVita:

In terms of hardware, Vita is a pretty sweet little package. The system is smooth, sleek, easy to hold, and features a goregous OLED screen. The buttons on the right side of Vita are a little tiny, and the right stick is just a hair too close to the buttons, but otherwise no complaints. The rear touch-screen is a neat little feature, but, like the GamePad, we need more developers to actually use it. 

Honestly, in terms of hardware, Vita is pretty unimpeachable. It's a powerhouse. My only complaints are lack of backward compatibility, although some of that is solved by the Playstation Store, and proprietary memory cards. Cross-buy and cross-save is a great feature, as are the PSV-PS4 features, which, unfortunately, I haven't tried yet.

I haven't really used many of the applications on Vita, although it's nice to have them there. Online play is smooth and stable.

In terms of price, $200 is reasonable for Vita. The original price, $250, was too rich for my blood.

3DS (original model)

As with WiiU, 3DS is a generational leap from its predecessor. It doesn't have the horsepower of its competitor Vita, however. But it makes up for the power gap in a few important ways. First, backward compatibility: 3DS owners have access to the full library of DS games, which is pretty staggering in terms of quality and quantity. Second, storage: the 3DS uses non-proprietary SD cards, which are relatively inexpensive. Third, the 3D effect: this is a controversial feature of the 3DS -- people seem to love it or hate it -- but I love the ability to judge depth and distance. It's especially useful for games like Pilotwings Resort and Super Mario 3D Land, where players need to land on small platforms in a three-dimensional space. 

Some flaws: the system itself is uncomfortable to grip for long play sessions, and the home buttom along the bottom of the 3DS is a little flimsy. Other than that it's sturdy, reliable, and attractive. One of the nice things about 3DS is all the different skins, whether Fire Emblem, Zelda, Pokemon, or, most recently, Yoshi. Fans of a particular series can get their own branded system  

As for the price point, $170 is a steal for 3DS. I originally paid $200 for the Ocarina of Time 3DS. $250, however, was too high for me.