By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Review your own console(s)! (hardware not games)

Don't know if a thread like this already exists, but I think it could be a bit interesting to see how users would review their consoles.

In a way it's a bit strange to review hardware, so I will try to give some guidelines to go by.

1. Review the hardware and don't think of the games as an argument/advantage/negative when you review your console.
2. Think of your expectation of the 8th generation consoles and if those are met when you review. Your own expecations can be has high or low as you like yourself.
3. Use your own cathegories as you review, which ones are more important for you, you decide. For example the online capabilities, backward compatibility, handcontroller, GFX/CPU power etc. It's solely up to you which is the most important when you review your own console.
4. We can use the score system of 0-10, where 10 means it has met your expectations fully of a 8th generation console. And 0 means it's a total disaster, and not met at all.

That's all.

Here's mine.

Wii U: The consoles hardware did not really meet my expectations of 8th gen consoles, but it's still a big step up from the Wii. It does feel next-gen, but not by a big step. "A small step for the gaming community but a big step for Nintendo.", to re-write a classic quote.

The Wii U pad is okay in my mind, nothing that I really wanted but it's not a bad controller in any way, I do however prefer the use of the Wii U Pro controller.

The Wii U also features backwards-compatibility which is important for me, it has B/C for Wii titles but not GC, which is a little let down. But perhaps I am just stretching it too far here and should give Nintendo some slack. Also they have the VC-channel which is great.

The online capabilities are not met however, Nintendo clearly doesn't push this bit very far, with just minor improvements from my point of view this is perhaps the biggest letdown. Far behind my expectations and the competition.

For the "apps" part this is something that I don't care too much about and haven't tried or used that much. It looks good I think, provides most of what people demand I think. So I have nothing to complain about here.

Pricepoint is however one of the better sides of Wii U for me. It's a lot cheaper than the competition and does give me value for the money.

Hardware: 6/10
Controller: 7/10
B/C: 8/10
Online: 6/10
Price: 8/10

Overall: 7/10

PS4: The hardware did absolutely meet my expectations for a 8th gen console, it has delivered some great graphics games so far, so the hardware for me is met and absolutely feels next-gen.

The controller is also a great improvement from my point of view, I did like the DS3 but the DS4 is really nice.

Since backwards-compatibility is very important for me this is a big letdown for me. I had expected the PS4 to be B/C with at least PS3 games. The PS Store do however let you buy some titles and the PS Now looks like a promising product in the future. But for now, this is a letdown, absolutely.

When speaking of online capabilities the PS Network is a great product, and even was back with the PS3. So for me the improvements that has and has not been made are fine enough. I have nothing really to complain about, the expectations has been met here, but of course it can always be better.

Like I said with the Wii U, "apps" does't really mean much to me and here I would say the same as with Wii U, I had no real expectations but it looks good, and looks better than on the Wii U even so of course it's a thumb up from me.

Pricepoint for the PS4 is good I would say. I think the console has a decent price for a new console and I can't complain about the price. The only time I ever complained about the price was with the PS3, so I suppose they did an "improvement" here from a consumers point of view.

Hardware: 9/10
Controller: 9/10
B/C: 6/10
Online: 8/10
Price: 8/10

Overall: 8/10

So the consoles met my expectations with 70% and 80%, or something like that. Just for fun anyway. :)

Around the Network

I have 26 consoles, so my review post would explode this site.. Just curious. WiiU is 100% backwards compatible with Wii and it gets a 8/10. PS4 is 0% backwards compatible and it gets a 6/10?

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Nice look, not powerful enough but apparently the best we can get, sometimes loud, not able to display the online store without stuttering, worst controller.

I give it a 7.5.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Nice look, not powerful enough but apparently the best we can get, sometimes loud, not able to display the online store without stuttering, worst controller.

I give it a 7.5.

What are you reviewing though?

novasonic said:
I have 26 consoles, so my review post would explode this site.. Just curious. WiiU is 100% backwards compatible with Wii and it gets a 8/10. PS4 is 0% backwards compatible and it gets a 6/10?

It's for the 8th generation consoles. :)

Yeah I was expecting it to include GC titles, titles which Nintendo won't release for VC(right?). So it was a little letdown for me. If Nintendo however do release GC games on the VC for Wii U my score would be a 9/10. If it had supported both Wii and GC discs it would have been a 10/10. There were a lot of games that I liked on my GC, and since Nintendo is my favourite I guess it hurts more that GC is not supported. The PS4 is like you say not B/C which is a big letdown for me, but they do and will offer older titles(PS3, PS2, PS1) through their network, and have the PS Now in the future. So I think the scores were fair from my personal point of view. If PS Now is really good the score for B/C on PS4 would go up too.

In the end it's just based on my own expectations, demands and opinion. :P

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
vivster said:

I give it a 7.5.

I thought it was obvious.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Mystro-Sama said:
vivster said:

I give it a 7.5.

I thought it was obvious.

I know :P I just want you to say it.

You want me to review my consoles while removing their library of games as a factor entirely? Very well.

0/10, useless brick, would not buy again -- all of them

Um, the only reason I buy consoles are for games so if you remove that then PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PSP, PS Vita, DS Lite, and 3DS all get a 0/10. Well that was easy.

Wii U:

Graphics: can't ask for more in such a small package. Nintendos Next-Gen titles like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze or Zelda WindWaker HD look superb. I don't care about "realism" in graphics. Sony / Microsoft don't get it this gen too. Who wants actual graphics needs a PC...

Controller: GamePad is a wonderful device and a real "deal maker". As a former Wii owner and WiiMote/Nunchuck fanatic I was skeptical. The GamePad is "OK" for GamePlay (a bit arkward to hold for long hours) but it can enhance gameplay if used correctly by the developers. Big thumps up that many titles can use the Wii controllers (which I have plenty)... Before I forget: Off-TV play is a big win. Think of being forced laying in bed. Or just wanting to check the MiiVerse etc.

Online: can't ask for more. MiiVerse is one of the greatest communities ever seen in about 25 years online. I've put some thoughts about that: it's the GamePad which enables such kind of unique communication.

Backwards compatibility: they dropped Cube-BC. Which was foreseeable. And it is a sales price thing. A Cube compatible drive would have cost much more. I guess we can rebuy Cube titles later on VirtualConsole. Wii support is a bit of letdown. But this is not the Wii Us fault but Nintendo dropping WiFi-Connection support even on real Wii and DS hardware.BTW: transfering from Wii was as easy as it could be. And NIntendo really shines here making it "non technical" in appearance...

Price: I paid 200 EUR for the WindWaker bundle. Was a non brainer at that price point.

Storage: a big win over the Wii. 32 GB of built in Flash is great to have the "just a quick game" titles on it (Wii Sports Club, Mario Kart 8). Also the ability to run titles from USB drives (Flash or spinning disk) is another welcome addition.

Downsides: USB 3 is missing. A SSD connected via USB 3 would be the best possible storage in regard to access times. It would also have made a USB-Gigabit-Ethernet adapter possible. With that a iSCSI Storage implementation would have been possible. And iSCSI via Gigabit-Ethernet accessing "real server" storage - nothing can match that.

Hardware: 9/10
Controller: 10/10
B/C: 10/10
Online: 10/10
Price: 10/10

Overall: 10/10