By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Now that the hype has died off, how good was GTA V in reality?

It's the best GTA to date in terms of mechanics and the game world, though I still had favor Vice City and San Andreas just a bit more. I'd probably give it a 9/10.

I will say that the torture mission was over the line, even for GTA... It actually made me put down the game for a few days.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Around the Network
Mr_No said:
daredevil.shark said:
Sleeping Dogs > GTA V.

I was a big GTA nut for years, but I kinda agree with you. The story and the mechanics of Sleeping Dogs were better. Even the leveling up and the abilities were a nice touch. It's time for Rockstar needs to rethink and redo the GTA formula for the next game. IMO, Sleeping Dogs looked more simpler inside it's huge world. I thought GTA V was good, but they need to simplify what's complex (dialogue, mechanics, controls) and add more depth to where it needs it (abilities, environment, open world). Story wise, they need to stop the unnecessary relationships that won't lead anywhere and add more believable and developed drama. Maybe it's asking too much, but they've made many games; they need to know what works and what doesn't.

Yup.

Legendary_W said:

IMO it was a really great game where it is clear the devs have put a lot of effort in every aspect of the game, graphics look incredible for a 7th gen system but personally I feel there's a few flaws that shouldn't have ignored. Single player flaws are mostly minor, maybe a few bugs, parts where the storyline looked a bit forced or the canon ending being a bit weird.

*...Killing Stretch made no sense since he was a minor antagonist and appeared in like... One mission. Also, the 3 murders were mere hit and runs. Go there, shoot the guy/s, escape. Each shootout should've at least had a small introductory cutscene to create atmosphere (Like, Michael watching Stretch from a distance or behind a wall while pulling out a weapon). It was the exact opposite of what made GTA IV ending so great: "The third way" didn't feel long and endingful, only the actual ending cutscene felt like that and it wasn't that impressive, Devin was a good villian but didn't have as much antagonist development as Dimitri and Pegorino did in GTA IV, I believe.

But the main flaw of the game is the online mode. It started bad, full of bugs, and when they got rid of the bugs,  there was a small time of peace... Until cheaters got everywhere. That's right, we're on 2014 and cheating on GTA Online is seemingly easy as hell because they are everywhere. I had a good time playing GTAO but once cheaters took over it I left it, since the game became pointless. Another thing that sucked was people killing you for no reason at all, and making you lose money (Like if it wasn't enough to have to play repetitive missions in order to obtain it). IMO they should've implemented something like, if you're were unarmed the last 10 seconds and someone shoots you to death you won't lose money at death and maybe they get some sort of penalty (Unless you're close to a public objective such as a high-priority vehicle), which would also give a point to being permanently unarmed to start with. However, on the opposite side, why whould they let you buy tanks and jets if you can only use them against cops? I believe some sort of "self-bounty" mode could've been a possible solution if well-implemented. Imagine that you buy a tank and active said mode, well, you would be able to destroy other player's vehicles with no penalty (No one pays the insurance), but the drawback for this is that it would be very  expensive, unremovable until death (Minimum $15.000, $1.000 for each player) and when you die you have to pay said reward which splits among every player in the server, boosting cooperation among other players. Suicide doesn't count.

We were also promised online cooperative heists, which never arrived.

Despite all this, all in all it's still a really enjoyable game IMO and I actually apreciate all the effort the people at Rockstar put on it, but what about you guys? How good was it really? Which ignored flaws did it have? 

Didn't even bother with the online play.  

Single player was awesome for me.  In fact, I loved the fact that some assassination missions were short.  For example, in one I pulled up to the guys car, turned in front of him and stopped (wedge), got out, pulled out the shotgun, and then blasted him right through his front windshield.  But not before he uttered, "wait, what the, oh my g..." or something of the sort.  He litterally was sitting right in front of his steering wheel still, and I think the horn might have even been blaring as he slumped over.

Sadistic fun in a way.  It was perfect.  Hard to explain, but that simple moment is when I thought to myself the game is awesome.  Some of the more over the top missions actually seemed less believable, but still really fun.  Not a perfect game, I wish there were more heists, and a way to replay some spots without having to play through the entire game again, etc.  But really the game deserves a good 9/10 for open world game.  As a whole, does it get any better?  Yea some games might have one part thats better than one of GTAs parts, etc.  But as a WHOLE, does it get much better?

Pretty good. It has the first video game character I've seen who has the same first name as me.

Too bad he's the dickbag main villian. 

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

shikamaru317 said:

I was expecting it to at least be Rockstar's best game yet and maybe even my favorite game of all-time

With standards like these, you were pretty much guarenteed to be disappointed.

Compare with Red Dead Redemption, which most people didn't have very high expectations for, and most people were pleasently surprised because of it.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
GTA V had the worst cast of characters, and the story was garbage compared to GTA IV.

The world and gameplay was the best in the series though (Still, I hated having to switch between 3 characters, all of which sucked)

Are you kidding? GTA IV had the worst story and characters. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Just as ground breakingly revolutionary as GTA4 :^)

MoHasanie said:
VanceIX said:
GTA V had the worst cast of characters, and the story was garbage compared to GTA IV.

The world and gameplay was the best in the series though (Still, I hated having to switch between 3 characters, all of which sucked)

I liked Niko and the fact that he actually had some sort of morality, and how dark GTA IV's plot was. To each his own, though.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

MoHasanie said:
VanceIX said:

Actually, since everyone complained about the "crappy gameplay" of GTA IV, the actual enjoyment of the game was the storyline. In my opinion it was one of the best I've had the luck of enjoy. Some of the main characters overflowed with creativity. Niko and Roman get a lot of beliable development and Dimitri made a great villian. But that's just my opinion though.

PenguinZ said:

It's the best GTA to date in terms of mechanics and the game world, though I still had favor Vice City and San Andreas just a bit more. I'd probably give it a 9/10.

I will say that the torture mission was over the line, even for GTA... It actually made me put down the game for a few days.

Torturing is bad but killing innocent people is fine? :D Game is OK, but you have a problem. Did you know, almost every police man in game has a wife and kids? And they are alone now :(