By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the 360 doing really that bad in Japan?

I think it is disappointing but at the same time what did everyone expect?

Japan is not very US product friendly, Japan likes quality and 360 has had quality issues, Japan likes Japanese content and there wasn't much of it in the first year.

For the problems Microsoft had in Japan they are doing fine. Microsoft more then any company I know of, can learn from mistakes and comeback stronger. Not this generation but, they will again improve in the next round...

Around the Network

Microsoft can't quit. We need Microsoft keeps paying for more JRPG.

I don't think Japanese hate US products in general. Look at how well Apple been doing in Japan, even before the success of iPod. Japanese consumers are just too picky.

The look of Xbox is so unattractive. I remember when Microsoft announced the first Xbox, my Japanese friends were laughing at it and commented "no one is going to buy it". Few years later, M$ hired Japanese to design Xbox360 and it indeed looks much better, but then another problem hit: RRoD....... I don't know if Xbox console will ever have a chance in Japan in the future.

Anyway, Microsoft has to hang in there. The gaming industry needs their financial support.

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Even though it is doing better than the original, it's a miserable failure. That much is pretty obvious. Japanese are just not big fans of most Western games, especially shooters (which 360 specializes in), and it's too easy for them to just buy a used 360 to play the latest Mistwalker game, beat it in a week or two, then sell it back to the store.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

NeoRatt said:

Japan is not very US product friendly, Japan likes quality and 360 has had quality issues, Japan likes Japanese content and there wasn't much of it in the first year.

For the problems Microsoft had in Japan they are doing fine. Microsoft more then any company I know of, can learn from mistakes and comeback stronger. Not this generation but, they will again improve in the next round...

Japan isn't very US product friendly?? Have you seen how well Ipods are sold there?

Make a good console, one that doesn't break every other week, and maybe they will even consider? Japanese are a nation built on commitments, if you have a half-assed product, they won't buy it. 

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

It will reach 1 million, but ask any Japanese person. They think it is a failure.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
NeoRatt said:

really? if i remember correctly, when xp came out it had a lot of bugs that many didnt upgrade to xp for 1-2 years until it was stable. when vista came out...well, lets say its also full of bugs and many a people are again waiting for the bugs to be fixed. the orginal xbox had powersupply issues or was it just power cable issues? meh cant remebmer....and as for the 360? they released it with a design flaw...so yeah...doesnt seem that their learning from their mistakes.

looks like their still rushing crap out and hoping to fix any problems that may arise from rushing the unperfected product out...

Well its definitely struggling for its life. More so than the PS3.

Of all 3 consoles in Japan, the 360's future is looking to be the bleakest.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

I've often wondered how many of the 360's sold in Japan are to members of the US military stationed there. At any given time there are over 30,000 of them.

Sales in Europe are 10x better than in Japan - sales in the US are 20x better than Japan.

Sales for the Wii in Japan are almost 1:1 with Europe, and less than 2:1 with the US.

If they would have ignored Japan - they would still have sold 16.5m units worldwide. How much money would they have saved? What exclusives could they have bought with this extra cash?

If they would have *never* released the 360 in Japan - hammered their advantage in Europe/US - then gone for the mega-release with a slimline model/bundle/killer Japan software 3 years in - they could have done a lot better.

Lets face it - with approx 5% of their GLOBAL sales in Japan - I think its pretty much irrelevant to them sales-wise.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099