By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the 360 doing really that bad in Japan?

As far as MS is concerned, Japan is more successful than last time. So, they could argue that the extra effort they put into acquiring Japan RPG and other types of games has helped.

As an overall picture though, no, xbox in Japan is a dismal failure. They probably have 0 profits in Japanese versions.

But, NA makes up for it.

Around the Network

The 360 is doing very poorly in Japan considering the efforts in its promotion that Microsoft has put there. I don't see why they don't give up in Japan and focus on the other territories because they have been behind in Europe for a while and are third place in North America right now. Something needs to be done very soon, and if 360 were to be competitive in the Japanese market, it would have been already.

optimistic view=success
realistic view=failure

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

damkira said:

The 360 is doing very poorly in Japan considering the efforts in its promotion that Microsoft has put there. I don't see why they don't give up in Japan and focus on the other territories because they have been behind in Europe for a while and are third place in North America right now. Something needs to be done very soon, and if 360 were to be competitive in the Japanese market, it would have been already.

I can tell you why they don't give up on Japan. It would be a stupid decision. Even if you are faltering in a market you never concede it to your competitor. Sometimes a company does things to hurt their competitors. If the exclusives and time exclusives that were hitting the 360 hit the PS3 instead, I can guarantee you that the PS3 would be doing better in Japan than it is now. Not only that when you concede a market, you competitors don't have to spend money defending that market. It gives them more capital to focus on the markets that you are succeeding in. 

Japan not like the 360, but is going better than Xbox.

Around the Network

It's doing pretty bad in Japan by almost any scale it's looked.

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

i don't really care if t sells bad over there.. its not like i'm a professional that works for microsoft...

It was the only HD console for an entire year. All of the hardcore graphics tarts went and bought one before the PS3. Now the PS3 is out the 360 is doing worse.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Machina-AX said:
cgen said:

Do you think it will reach 1million?

Yes. It will probably take 5 years to get there though, so as long as MS don't replace the 360 before then it should make it.

Very off topic now but our predictions for 2008 consoles sales a extremely similar to each other :)

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000

Ari_Gold said:
i don't really care if t sells bad over there.. its not like i'm a professional that works for microsoft...

The 360 is doing better you slant eye bastard.

PREDICTIONS:
360 will outsell PS3 YTD for 2008. (CHECK!)
360 will have the best showing at E3 & TGS in 2009
2009 will be another year for the 360 over PS3
End OF 2009 SALES :: 360 - 40M;  PS3 - 30M; Wii - 70M