By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global HW+SW, week ending 3/22.

Last week XB1 gained 23k with it's big title versus a regular PS4 week. This week PS4 gained 88k with it's big title versus an inflated XB1 week. Still looking good for the PS and I don't know what will change without some big announcements.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
binary solo said:
jlmurph2 said:
binary solo said:
jlmurph2 said:
MoHasanie said:
Puppyroach said:
So, a 106% boost for MS in the week ending march 15th and a 66% boost for Sony in the week ending march 22nd. These games are working their magic, hopefully some momentum can be kept during summer as well.

The increase in sales can't only be attributed to these games. X1 had a price drop for the Titanfall bundle to $450 and Sony shipped lots of stock for inFamous' launch. 

The price drop didn't happen during Titanfall's 1st week though.

It happened the week before in the UK. And there was effectively a $60 price drop with TF being given away for free. If the TF bundle was $550 the boost would not have been as much as it was. Pricing was a significant factor in the TF boost, cf Infamous where the inFamous bundle which was not a free giveaway for the game but still lead to a larger numerical boost, albeit a smaller % boost.

He said specifically the $450 price drop. Not any of that other stuff.

Sure, but in the context of Puppyroach mentioning a global 106% (actually 108%) increase, not the US 118% increase, and part of that increase was because of pricing, including pricing of the TF bundle in the USA, which while the $450 price wasn't in effect, the free TF was in effect, which effectively meant people were buying Xb one for $440. Now, people in the USA are effectively buying Xb one for $390, if they get the TF, or a few other bundles.

The point he was making, it seemed to me, was that for Xb one the increased sales was partly due to pricing and partly due to TF, and for PS4 the increase is partly due to inFamous and partly due to an injection of stock into the market, and in some cases pricing. Here the inFamous bundle was very attractively priced, with Sony effectively either selling inFamous for 40% of its RRP through the bundle, or selling PS4 for $70 less than its RRP through the bundle (I saw it as getting inFamous for cheap when I handed over my credit card on Friday). Though I also saw inFamous with special pricing of $80 where the RRP is $118. So Sony was certainly trying to maximise inFamous sales with attractive pricing; here at least.

Doesn't that mean Titanfall is the one selling systems? You're saying "Free Titanfall" and then taking away $60 from the Xbox One, which one is it? Are you getting Titanfall free or are you paying $60 less for an Xbox One?

ICStats said:
Last week XB1 gained 23k with it's big title versus a regular PS4 week. This week PS4 gained 88k with it's big title versus an inflated XB1 week. Still looking good for the PS and I don't know what will change without some big announcements.

Xbox One gained an 81k boost (108%), not 23k. 

Unless you mean the gap between the two, then you should change the wording.

jlmurph2 said:
ICStats said:

He didnt use the word boost, its fairly clear he meant, gaining on each other, 

Xenostar said:
jlmurph2 said:
ICStats said:

He didnt use the word boost, its fairly clear he meant, gaining on each other, 

It wasn't that clear. Didn't check the PS4 boost lately but isnt it close to 88k? That's why I thought he made a mistake on the X1.

My mistake.

Edit: Turns out the gap this week and the boost are BOTH 88k...weird.

Around the Network

Calling it now:

Next week Vita > X1

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
Calling it now:

Next week Vita > X1

lol

ICStats said:

Regular PS4 week isn't quite right, last week was the PS4s second worst week yet. :D

jlmurph2 said:
binary solo said:
jlmurph2 said:
binary solo said:
jlmurph2 said:
MoHasanie said:
Puppyroach said:
So, a 106% boost for MS in the week ending march 15th and a 66% boost for Sony in the week ending march 22nd. These games are working their magic, hopefully some momentum can be kept during summer as well.

The increase in sales can't only be attributed to these games. X1 had a price drop for the Titanfall bundle to $450 and Sony shipped lots of stock for inFamous' launch. 

The price drop didn't happen during Titanfall's 1st week though.

It happened the week before in the UK. And there was effectively a $60 price drop with TF being given away for free. If the TF bundle was $550 the boost would not have been as much as it was. Pricing was a significant factor in the TF boost, cf Infamous where the inFamous bundle which was not a free giveaway for the game but still lead to a larger numerical boost, albeit a smaller % boost.

He said specifically the $450 price drop. Not any of that other stuff.

Sure, but in the context of Puppyroach mentioning a global 106% (actually 108%) increase, not the US 118% increase, and part of that increase was because of pricing, including pricing of the TF bundle in the USA, which while the $450 price wasn't in effect, the free TF was in effect, which effectively meant people were buying Xb one for $440. Now, people in the USA are effectively buying Xb one for $390, if they get the TF, or a few other bundles.

The point he was making, it seemed to me, was that for Xb one the increased sales was partly due to pricing and partly due to TF, and for PS4 the increase is partly due to inFamous and partly due to an injection of stock into the market, and in some cases pricing. Here the inFamous bundle was very attractively priced, with Sony effectively either selling inFamous for 40% of its RRP through the bundle, or selling PS4 for $70 less than its RRP through the bundle (I saw it as getting inFamous for cheap when I handed over my credit card on Friday). Though I also saw inFamous with special pricing of $80 where the RRP is $118. So Sony was certainly trying to maximise inFamous sales with attractive pricing; here at least.

Doesn't that mean Titanfall is the one selling systems? You're saying "Free Titanfall" and then taking away $60 from the Xbox One, which one is it? Are you getting Titanfall free or are you paying $60 less for an Xbox One?

At $450 it's easily an unholy alliance of both a price cut and giving the game away for free. At $499 it's however you want to interpret it as the consumer. For strictly financial accounting pruposes it would be a price cut, because MS has to pay EA for the game.

It's partly Titanfall, but at the $450 price point any bundled game is going to move systems, and even no bundled game will move systems, because it's a $50 price cut. But if TF was really able to sell systems MS should have been able to put the TF bundle on the market for $559 and expected to see a substantial hardware boost. But given the TF bundle at $499 gave a good but not amazing boost, it's unlikely a $559 bundle would have done all that well.

I see Amazon's TF price cut is a whole $0.99

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

if vita had europe or japan numbers it wouldnt be doing bad at all, sony prob still can salvage the vita in north america.