By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Blu-Ray discs are already getting cheaper at Best Buy

DragonLord said:
CDiablo said:
I wouldn't consider this a great deal as most of those DVDs can be bought for 5-10 in the bargain bin.

And those very same $5-$10 dvd's look and sound like crap compared to a blu-ray. Yes, even upscaled.

Quality costs more.

I don't understand why people can't understand that you get what you pay for. DVD'S should cost less; they are inferior.

If quality doesn't matter to you, then dvd is a better option. If you want top of the line picture and audio, plan on spending more than you would on a dvd.

But should I be spending $5-10 more on something that only costs them $1 more to produce?

When DVD's first came out they were more expensive than VHS for quite a while, yet DVD's were significantly cheaper to mass produce. I don't think DVD's ever got cheaper than VHS for a single movie that was released on both, yet they made significantly more profit on every DVD sold.

Currently your not paying for quality, your paying for smaller market. But still, once Blu-Ray takes over DVD, they'll sell for the same price, because they probably figure most people won't care. 

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
antfromtashkent said:
ssj12 said:
and the real war begins. DVD vs Blu-ray.

hehehe i had to point this out >_>

Blu - HDDVD - DVD

Sony - Micro - Nintendo

:P (sarcasm!!!!!!!!!!)

wii doesn't has dvd lol

playnext3 said:
antfromtashkent said:
ssj12 said:
and the real war begins. DVD vs Blu-ray.

hehehe i had to point this out >_>

Blu - HDDVD - DVD

Sony - Micro - Nintendo

:P (sarcasm!!!!!!!!!!)

wii doesn't has dvd lol

i meant it a war comparison (still sarcasm!!!!!!)

You'd think HDDVD titles would be cheaper, considering support has gone AWOL.

Shouldn't stores be trying to blow away their useless inventory?

Liquidate! 

nordlead said:
DragonLord said:
CDiablo said:
I wouldn't consider this a great deal as most of those DVDs can be bought for 5-10 in the bargain bin.

And those very same $5-$10 dvd's look and sound like crap compared to a blu-ray. Yes, even upscaled.

Quality costs more.

I don't understand why people can't understand that you get what you pay for. DVD'S should cost less; they are inferior.

If quality doesn't matter to you, then dvd is a better option. If you want top of the line picture and audio, plan on spending more than you would on a dvd.

But should I be spending $5-10 more on something that only costs them $1 more to produce?

When DVD's first came out they were more expensive than VHS for quite a while, yet DVD's were significantly cheaper to mass produce. I don't think DVD's ever got cheaper than VHS for a single movie that was released on both, yet they made significantly more profit on every DVD sold.

Currently your not paying for quality, your paying for smaller market. But still, once Blu-Ray takes over DVD, they'll sell for the same price, because they probably figure most people won't care. 

It may not cost that much more to produce, but they have massive cost to recover on R&D, and starting production of a new technology and new equipment to recoup.  Of course they want a higher profit margin on each disc sold, and I have no problem with that.  Early adopters pay more.

And yes, we are paying more for a better quality.  Blu-ray cost more than DVD...Blu-ray is higher quality than DVD.  However, I DO agree that the higher quality isn't the ONLY reason for higher cost, it is a part of the equation...you're right in saying that part of the higher cost is due to a smaller market--I agree.  Once blu-ray reaches and economy of scale and starts to mass produce in large quantity, the price will drop.

I guess for me, I just get sick of hearing people complain.  A BMW cost more than a Honda Civic and most likely has a much higer profit margin since it's a luxury good and has a smaller market share.  I have no problem with that. 

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network

Terminator 2 is nothing short of awesome, I especially like Robert Patrick as a cold killing machine!
Legions better than T 1 imo.
And Edward Furlong's acting in T 2 is probably among the finest pieces of work for any teenage actor ever.

i might consider getting a ps3, for the blu ray player

I'll take a nap and maybe they'll become even cheaper

I'm gonna wait till they are like DVD prices @least
or when they start to finally force u not to use the dvd
by stoppin production of the movies and stuff...

actuallly i'll hibernate like pichu pichu

I still need to pick up Terminator 2. I probably will next time I buy some other Blu-Ray to get free shipping off Amazon.

Seriously though guys, how much more did DVD's cost than VHS when they came out? I for one definitely notice the difference in picture quality, and believe it is only a little less of a difference than the jump to DVD from VHS.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson