By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Developers NEED the Wii and DS

but think. of those 115 million. how many ppl has the ps2 modchipped? lol here in south america everyone modchips consoles. except me and a reduced group of ppl. rofl i think at least 10 million ps2 were sold in latin america. with 9,8 million with their ps2 modchipped. and there are ppl that modchip consoles on US, Europe and australia. but it still will sell more than 500k games. ps2 onws too bad

Around the Network

The Wii and DS are the future of gaming, its silly to think a company traditionally used to developing for Microsoft or Sony will have to tone down or kiddy-ize their games. Nintendo has Manhunt 2 comming out and RE4 for the Wii, you can't make the argument Nintendo is kiddy crap anymore.

Blue3 said:

LOL

It occurs to me you have no clue what the hell you are posting bout. Many Ea games sale better on PS3 then Wii, and those are only 360 ports. The last thing devs need or want is to go toe to toe with a Miyamoto game on a nintendo platform. Devs are alot better of making a multi platform 360/Ps3 and maybe PC game.

Nintendo fanboys need to get a reality check.

There are lots of ways to look at it and in some ways I agree with you. However, you have to look at it this way. People who own a Wii have the choice to get a third party port that have already been released on other systems, or they can play the Nintendo games that haven't (with the exception of Zelda). On top of that, you still have the early adopters (Nintendo fans and casual gamers) buying the system. The hardcore guys are all over the graphics and own either a PS3 or 360. How many of those guys would pick up a Wii version over a 360 or PS3 version? The general perception right now is that the Wii is not for the "core" gamer. A lot of my friends are all over the 360 versions of games as they want the better graphics. They'll try the Wii version, but won't buy it. I think you're seeing that right now.

The issue now is what happens once the Wii hits saturation and when 3rd Parties start releasing games like GRAW 2, Assassins Creed, etc. on the Wii? Will that drive the "core" gamer into picking up the Wii version over the PS3 or 360 versions?

My problem is that I'm a "core" gamer and there just aren't many Wii games that are getting announced that appeal to me. I drool over the fact that the 360 and PS3 get Strangehold, or Command & Conquer. Yet, I don't have money to get a 360 or PS3. As of now, the Wii just doesn't satisfy all of the needs I have. I would guess there are many other players out there like me, and in their case, I would gather many of them picked up a 360 or PS3 to handle those kinds of games. So does something like Spider-man 3 sell well on the Wii? Not really. The core gamers who would buy that game would get it on the 360. That said, I have picked up The Godfather, SSX Blur, Elebits, Sonic, and Trauma Center. Those games were worth the money.

What I'd like to see are more of the core games headed to the Wii. I have a feeling that if people figured they could get those kinds of games on the Wii, they would. I could be wrong, though. Nintendo has an uphill battle ahead. Trying to convince the core gamers that the Wii is a viable system for them. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy having the Wii. I camped out for 16 hours on launch day to get one. I own a bunch of games for it and use it everyday, but I'm not blind to see that unless things start changing, I'll be forced to pick up another system to get my game fix. I just don't want that to happen.

-Darkness

Blue3 said:

LOL

It occurs to me you have no clue what the hell you are posting bout.   Many Ea games sale better on PS3 then Wii, and those are only 360 ports.  The last thing devs need or want is to go toe to toe with a Miyamoto game on a nintendo platform.  Devs are alot better of making a multi platform 360/Ps3 and maybe PC game.

If EA games are doing so much better on the PS3 then why is EA reporting losses after the first quarter?

If PS3 has the better 3rd party versions, why is it selling so poorly? Why have 360 sales all but stagnated?

Reality check indeed. How long do you think you can keep riding this wave of believing shitty PC-wannabes like the 360 and PS3 can actually beat the Wii in the long run?

Right now Developers who want to make pretty games are sacrificing their craft for the 360 and Ps3, eventually they're realize the compromise of the Wii is worth it and the games you lust after on your pseudo-PCs will move to the system that makes them money, the Wii.

Gballzack said:
Blue3 said:

LOL

It occurs to me you have no clue what the hell you are posting bout. Many Ea games sale better on PS3 then Wii, and those are only 360 ports. The last thing devs need or want is to go toe to toe with a Miyamoto game on a nintendo platform. Devs are alot better of making a multi platform 360/Ps3 and maybe PC game.

If EA games are doing so much better on the PS3 then why is EA reporting losses after the first quarter?

If PS3 has the better 3rd party versions, why is it selling so poorly? Why have 360 sales all but stagnated?

Reality check indeed. How long do you think you can keep riding this wave of believing shitty PC-wannabes like the 360 and PS3 can actually beat the Wii in the long run?

Right now Developers who want to make pretty games are sacrificing their craft for the 360 and Ps3, eventually they're realize the compromise of the Wii is worth it and the games you lust after on your pseudo-PCs will move to the system that makes them money, the Wii.

Maybe becasue their games are selling like crap on the wii.

Reality check wii fan boy, your console uses 10 year old technology.  Everything good about a game has to be sacrified to make it work on that weak console. 

Ps - wiis hardware is so great it  cant even run next gen game engines lol.

Around the Network
Cursayer said:
Blue3, you need a reality check because the EA games profit more from the Wii games than the PS3/360 ones. If you compare sales and then put in the profits and development costs, more money is made from the Wii version due to the low dev costs. Unless the other version sold MUCH more, I highly doubt that they make more money from the PS3/360 ports.

Do you have anything to back this up?

Quote:

Reality check wii fan boy, your console uses 10 year old technology.  Everything good about a game has to be sacrified to make it work on that weak console. 

If you want to be taken seriously, you shouldn't post stupid things like saying the wii is 10 year old technology.  Get a clue...A Honda Civic doesn't have as much horsepower as a Ford F150, but that doesn't mean its 10 year old technology...sheesh.  In fact, many people would say the Honda Civic is the superior vehicle, because it sacrifices raw power for efficiency and style =)

You're free to have your own opinion, but try to be at least somewhat realistic.

ps. sorry, the quote screwed up somehow and I couldn't figure out how to fix it normally.

Blue3 said:

Maybe they're selling so poorly on the Wii because the Wii actually has more appealing first and second party games to play other than third party tripe that these companies put only a half assed effort into, its the third party developers that are ruining the games for the Wii, not the Wii. For example, the company who does Prince of Persia censored out violence of Wii's version of their third game, Rival Swords, much to nintendo's dissapointment. Its the developers themselves that are ruining the ports, not Nintendo, not the Wii. EA and other third party are reporting losses despite their alleged sales on all three systems so perhaps its their games that are the problem. Furthermore I can't think of a single third party game that has done poorly on the Wii that was honestly worth giving two shits about.

Also, it depends on your definition of Next Gen, is it really Next Gen when the console has to cost so much to eek out such a minor difference in graphics? Is it really Next Gen when the only clear difference is HD capability? Is it Next Gen when video game technology has reached a plateau and the only step forward is to make increasingly expensive Pseudo-PCs that perform barely better than the last gen?

Two things... First of all, check out this quote: It's normal for companys that when they start pushing 75-100% of their resources to next gen to take a hit for the first few years. Kwaad said that above. Wow. Thats a dangerous thought right there. That not only should console makers be losing billions, but it should be considered normal for third parties to take losses too. Jeez. Second, people are pretending like a PS3 multi-plat game is cheaper to make (and thus more profitable) than a Wii one, because its a port. Well, genius, where does the Wii version come from? Are they doing seperate PS2, GC and Wii ground-up builds? Riiiight. Developers DO need Wii and DS... If for no other reason than that they're selling well...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

llewdebkram said:

First Rockstar are losing money, now EA announce losses!

I have no idea how such a huge company such as EA can lose money when they develop so many popular titles.

It occurs to me because of the huge development costs for games on the PS3 and Xbox 360, developers need Nintendo systms to be able to develop less costly and more profitable titles.

Actually EA makes much more money on PSP (£258 million) than on DS (£104 million).

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/news.asp?c=3009