By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why such a huge gap in quality between Playstation and Xbox exclusives?

HEMSTAR said:
Galbatorix9 said:
Zax said:

With how similar both consoles are in so many ways and how both consoles seem to get 90% of the same games it's always striked me as odd how there is such a drastic difference in quality and amount of excluisves between the Playstation and the Xbox.

It's not even the case that it's Japan's involvement that's what's doing it because even without them it'd still be the same.

The PS3 saw several exclusive games win many notable GOTY awards. MGS4, Uncharted 2, Little Big Planet, The Last of Us, Journey for example. That can not really be said for Xbox. Sure there was a time when Mass Effect 2 and maybe Bioshock recieved such acclaim but they ended up on PS3 aswell.

Three PS3 exclusives won GOTY on Gamespot but none for Xbox. The same can be said for IGN. This is the case amongst both the editors picks and the readers picks with the one exception that Gears of War did win.

Compare the PS360 metacritic scores.

There are 12 games for PS3 that scored over 90 not including HD collections. Xbox only has 7. If I were to include the games over 80 it'd be even bigger.

Also the huge amount of variety compared to the Xbox is staggering.

Heavenly Rain, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, Yakuza, Infamous, Killzone, Ni No Kuni, Tales etc

Xbox has had some but most never catch on like Crackdown.

I just it pretty odd seeing as how Xbox is just as popular and it's been around so long now.

did you know that of the three companies sony has the lowest average score on metacritic, with nintendo being number 1? Pls dont hate on microsoft. 

Cause Sony takes more risks with new ip's.

okay look, no doubt the ps3 has better quality story driven exclusives.  I mean naughty dogs games and heavy rain specifically. But Right now the xbox one has better games. Seriously, infamous and killzone are more looks than anything. My friends on playstation would rather play on their pc's and are bored of the system so they are constantly asking me to join them on league of legends and steam. 

Around the Network

They've had different philosophies. Microsoft typically takes fewer chances, though there are signs that they will be a lot more daring this generation.

Sony hasn't been afraid of Metacritic, which I respect them for.

Now this is some flame bait I can get behind. Though I was expecting the opposite for PS4/X1.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Galbatorix9 said:
Zax said:

With how similar both consoles are in so many ways and how both consoles seem to get 90% of the same games it's always striked me as odd how there is such a drastic difference in quality and amount of excluisves between the Playstation and the Xbox.

It's not even the case that it's Japan's involvement that's what's doing it because even without them it'd still be the same.

The PS3 saw several exclusive games win many notable GOTY awards. MGS4, Uncharted 2, Little Big Planet, The Last of Us, Journey for example. That can not really be said for Xbox. Sure there was a time when Mass Effect 2 and maybe Bioshock recieved such acclaim but they ended up on PS3 aswell.

Three PS3 exclusives won GOTY on Gamespot but none for Xbox. The same can be said for IGN. This is the case amongst both the editors picks and the readers picks with the one exception that Gears of War did win.

Compare the PS360 metacritic scores.

There are 12 games for PS3 that scored over 90 not including HD collections. Xbox only has 7. If I were to include the games over 80 it'd be even bigger.

Also the huge amount of variety compared to the Xbox is staggering.

Heavenly Rain, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, Yakuza, Infamous, Killzone, Ni No Kuni, Tales etc

Xbox has had some but most never catch on like Crackdown.

I just it pretty odd seeing as how Xbox is just as popular and it's been around so long now.

did you know that of the three companies sony has the lowest average score on metacritic, with nintendo being number 1? Pls dont hate on microsoft. 

Sony make a lot more exclusives whereas Xbox seems to play it safe with the titles they know will succeed so that isn't too surprising. Probably a big reason for this is Indie games anyway.

All that really matters is the good games and Playstation seems to walk all over Xbox in that way.

Wright said:

Hatin' on Crackdown but points out Heavenly Sword as quality.

Yeah.

I said Heavy Rain.

Around the Network
PenguinZ said:
Quantity... Sure.

Quality... Purely subjective.

Sure I guess but name me three Xbox exclusives games to rival The Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted 2.

Also these games win readers choice awards so it's a matter of a huge scale not the opinion of just me.

Zax said:
Wright said:

Yeah.

I said Heavy Rain.

Best stealth edit I've ever seen in my life.

quality=/=scores
quality=enjoyment

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Wright said:
Zax said:
Wright said:

Yeah.

I said Heavy Rain.

Best stealth edit I've ever seen in my life.

here i was thinking he meant heavenly sword

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Zax said:

Sure I guess but name me three Xbox exclusives games to rival The Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted 2.

Also these games win readers choice awards so it's a matter of a huge scale not the opinion of just me.

It wouldn't matter how many people agreed with your opinion. It would still just be an opinion. Universality does not imply objectivity. Just because those three games got a lot of awards - i.e. were highly praised by "professional" gamers - does not imply that those games are inherently better games. There's no reason to believe Halo, Forza, etc. are objectively any worse than TLoU or Uncharted. 

So the title of your thread could be changed to "Why do Playstation exclusives cater to my tastes and other gamers tastes so much more than Xbox exclusives.", and then the answer would be more clear: you simply prefer Playstation styled exclusives.