By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9 Irritating Aspects Of Online Gaming

rocketpig said:
sc94597 said:
@rocketpig ? If a internet speed was the speed of light( which it isn't) It could circle the planet 7 times in a second. I'm confused of the meaning of what you said.

Internet connections travel at virtually the speed of light. The slowdown is caused by material slowing it down over cables, atmospheric interference, etc. In theory, an unabated signal would travel at the speed of light. Most console servers people in the ME are playing on are not located in the ME.

Meaning that the signal has to travel to NA or Europe and then back. That takes time. When you're sending packets back and forth constantly, even 1/4 of a second makes some games unplayable, especially if the person you are playing against is less than 250 miles from the server.

Thank you for infoming me. I think I read somewhere that it goes 2/3 of the speed of light which is fast(around 200,000 kilometers per second.) but not the speed of light. If a connection was completely wireless and light based would that mean it could go the speed of light without too much slow downs except for the atmosphere? Oh I get it your ping gets real  high because of being a farther distance from the server. 

Around the Network

@sc94597
It's just the difference between latency and throughput (often erroneously called bandwidth). Latency is the time it takes a packet to get from point A to point B (so for example, 10 milliseconds). Throughput is the number of bits you can send out from point A during a specific interval. So, if your latency is too high to be able to exchange packets back and forth regularly, increasing your throughput will not help.

Try pinging google.co.uk (on windows, open a command window, type "ping amazon.co.uk" without the quotes, and notice the latency column). Then ping your router. You should notice a significant difference (unless you live in the UK, of course).

sc94597 said:
rocketpig said:
sc94597 said:
@rocketpig ? If a internet speed was the speed of light( which it isn't) It could circle the planet 7 times in a second. I'm confused of the meaning of what you said.

Internet connections travel at virtually the speed of light. The slowdown is caused by material slowing it down over cables, atmospheric interference, etc. In theory, an unabated signal would travel at the speed of light. Most console servers people in the ME are playing on are not located in the ME.

Meaning that the signal has to travel to NA or Europe and then back. That takes time. When you're sending packets back and forth constantly, even 1/4 of a second makes some games unplayable, especially if the person you are playing against is less than 250 miles from the server.

Thank you for infoming me. I think I read somewhere that it goes 2/3 of the speed of light which is fast(around 200,000 kilometers per second.) but not the speed of light. If a connection was completely wireless and light based would that mean it could go the speed of light without too much slow downs except for the atmosphere? Oh I get it your ping gets real high because of being a farther distance from the server.

Exactly. I did a rough estimate once with router lag, packet stalling, and everything factored for a signal to travel from Denver to LA and IIRC, it came in around 1/30th of a second. That's only about 1,000 miles each direction and doesn't include hardware lag at each source. Imagine what can happen if you double that number and add different infrastructures that might not be up to date like they are here in the US.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

@ Johntonsoup I know latency determines your ping which I said in my post. But the internet doesn't travel the speed of light because of our silicon based technology reducing the speed by a factor of 1000.

who are those might I ask?

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

There are two kinds of Camping my friend, camping out on the map, and spawn camping, spawn camping by all means is wrong, and a sissu tactic, but normal camping is not.

If you're too stupid to be able to figure out how to get them that's your problem, I mean, if you were in a real war would you be like "Oh I shouldn't camp it's not fair to them" hell no!

People who hate campers are just too dumb to try it themselves, and too dumb to figure out how to get the camper pissing them off.

But yes, spawn camping is extremely annoying and dumb.

Username2324 said:
There are two kinds of Camping my friend, camping out on the map, and spawn camping, spawn camping by all means is wrong, and a sissu tactic, but normal camping is not.

If you're too stupid to be able to figure out how to get them that's your problem, I mean, if you were in a real war would you be like "Oh I shouldn't camp it's not fair to them" hell no!

People who hate campers are just too dumb to try it themselves, and too dumb to figure out how to get the camper pissing them off.

But yes, spawn camping is extremely annoying and dumb.

I'll add something to that... Counter-objective camping is also bullshit.

We've all seen it... Some asshat camping an area that has nothing to do with his objective or leaves his team wide open to die from a flank... That is also wrong.

In fact, there are very few acceptable reasons to camp unless you're covering a flank or protecting an objective. Otherwise, you're just a dick and the rest of your team probably despises you.

Hahahaha, nothing is wrong with camping. If you actually learned a map and new where campers hid out, you'd find that they tend to be easy kills.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:
Hahahaha, nothing is wrong with camping. If you actually learned a map and new where campers hid out, you'd find that they tend to be easy kills.

You're misunderstanding me. I hate campers when they're on my team, not against me. They're easy pickings when they're against me.

It's hard to lead a unified assault when you suddenly realize that you're in the middle of a open area by yourself because the rest of your team is camping. 

http://www.youtube.com/v/6u9ht4mFAqM&rel=1">

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."