By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog didn’t think The Last Of Us would be as popular as Uncharted

The Last Of Us is a game that, for many people, defines the last generation – the pinnacle of what the hardware was (well, is) capable of and the kind of games the tech could allow even so late in its cycle. And according to Naughty Dog’s Neil Druckmann, the developer was under no illusion that deviating from the all-action Hollywood blockbuster approach of Uncharted would likely see Ellie and Joel left in Drake’s shadow from a commercial standpoint.

“We thought people would appreciate what we were trying to do,” says Druckmann in an exclusive making-of feature in the forthcoming issue of Play (issue 242, out next week). “But we didn’t think it would be as popular or sell as much as something like Uncharted.”

Druckmann elaborates, claiming that the team was more eager to push the boundaries of the genre and experiement than keep banging the action drum. “If you have nothing but action, you limit yourself to only being able to tell certain kinds of stories,” he tells us. “We certainly believe you don’t have to be an action game anymore to succeed in the triple-A space, and I hope other studios feel the same.”

He goes on to discuss the evolution from Uncharted to The Last Of Us and again onto recent DLC Left Behind, each in turn reducing the emphasis on action. What will this mean for Drake when Uncharted finally makes it onto PS4, though? Will it still be the same wise-cracking summer blockbuster fun, or will this new, more mature Naughty Dog take him in a different direction? Hopefully, we’ll find out in June.

source: http://www.play-mag.co.uk/news/ps3-news/naughty-dog-didnt-think-the-last-of-us-would-be-as-popular-as-uncharted/

Around the Network

So they expected it to sell less than Uncharted? That surprises me...

Ok then...

Well it's a 10x better game than uncharted ever will be, imo!! I think a sequel is all but gonna happen just hopefully they actually have a story that can top the first. Plus I expect they have the option for a new IP, so I guess i'm just hopeful for more of TLOU universe.

For reference, it's actually selling faster than either of the last two Uncharted games. Very impressive indeed.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

And it ended up being far more popular than all the Uncharted games, truly is an amazing game!

Kantor said:

For reference, it's actually selling faster than either of the last two Uncharted games. Very impressive indeed.

And not to mention they just announced 6mil sold.  Probably is shipped plus digital.  And that is freaking amazing for a new IP.

Yeah I'm also surprised, I thought because of the lack of this hollywood blockbuster vibe, plus gritty, brutal atmosphere it will be a critical darling and will still sell very well in the core gamer audience but ultimately will fell short of 5 millions. The timing also didn't help the game. Yet it has overcome those obstacles and even if it won't outsell Uncharted 3 on the PS3, TLoU 2 will outsell them all.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Not even they can measure their awesomeness.

Kantor said:

Damn, i never realized how long Uncharted's legs were o.O Including digital sales TLOU is outpacing the other 2 by quite a considerable amount. Very impressive for a new IP.