By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - European Commission plans to ban Free-to-Play games that are not actually free

This is the first I've heard governments talk about people's time and money being swindled out of them by F2P apps as being a serious problem.

And it is a very real problem. Apps relying on modern psychological loopholes to sell very little content for a lot of in-app dollars or to hawk an unreasonable amount of mindshare for ads is a very real threat to the public and western world efficiency.

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:
DanneSandin said:
rolltide101x said:
TheDarkLink said:
vivster said:
God I hate the EU. By that definition they have to ban everything free because nothing is free in life.

This would protect alot of kids of being swapped by game developers!!! If a costs money they should NOT to be allowed to promote a game as free to play simply becouse it's not true!!! And I hate people who don't know nothing about the EU but are complaining about the EU!!!

Everybody knows that F2P means there are transactions. It is no different than AT&T calling a cell phone "free" but you have got to pay for a plan to get it.

No, not kids. And I'm pretty sure a lot of the complaints are coming from parents whose kids have bought a shit load of stuff in-game, while thinking it was free. And don't say every parent knows that f2p have microtransactions, because that's just not true.

Then put a code on devices and install everthing yourself.....

Everybody knows that a game is going to try to make money one game or another. If they do not know it is a fact then they are ignorant. Not the problem of game developers. As every business takes advantage of ignorant people

I'd actually call you ignorant for that statement of yours. Let me elaborate: not all people game, and thus they don't know that every game tries to suck money out of you in cunning and deciving ways - even it it's called FREE to play. Thinking that every one knows that is ignorant.

The thing with these kind of games is that the parents often download the game on their phone, or allows the kid to download it, thinking it's safe since it's called free to play. It doesn't have any costs attached until you actually go inside the game and play it for a while. Do you honestly believe every parent plays the smurf game, or the simpsons game, or candy crush for themselves FIRST to see if there are any hidden costs, before they give it to their kids?

The fact is, it's far too easy for kids to buy stuff in those games and something has to be done. This is one such thing. Maybe not the best alternative, but it's a bloody start.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

This is a little bit shady but free-to-play really is a shady term in itself, and it doesn't describe reality honestly so I think this is OK.

DanneSandin said:
rolltide101x said:
DanneSandin said:
rolltide101x said:
TheDarkLink said:
vivster said:
God I hate the EU. By that definition they have to ban everything free because nothing is free in life.

This would protect alot of kids of being swapped by game developers!!! If a costs money they should NOT to be allowed to promote a game as free to play simply becouse it's not true!!! And I hate people who don't know nothing about the EU but are complaining about the EU!!!

Everybody knows that F2P means there are transactions. It is no different than AT&T calling a cell phone "free" but you have got to pay for a plan to get it.

No, not kids. And I'm pretty sure a lot of the complaints are coming from parents whose kids have bought a shit load of stuff in-game, while thinking it was free. And don't say every parent knows that f2p have microtransactions, because that's just not true.

Then put a code on devices and install everthing yourself.....

Everybody knows that a game is going to try to make money one game or another. If they do not know it is a fact then they are ignorant. Not the problem of game developers. As every business takes advantage of ignorant people

I'd actually call you ignorant for that statement of yours. Let me elaborate: not all people game, and thus they don't know that every game tries to suck money out of you in cunning and deciving ways - even it it's called FREE to play. Thinking that every one knows that is ignorant.

The thing with these kind of games is that the parents often download the game on their phone, or allows the kid to download it, thinking it's safe since it's called free to play. It doesn't have any costs attached until you actually go inside the game and play it for a while. Do you honestly believe every parent plays the smurf game, or the simpsons game, or candy crush for themselves FIRST to see if there are any hidden costs, before they give it to their kids?

The fact is, it's far too easy for kids to buy stuff in those games and something has to be done. This is one such thing. Maybe not the best alternative, but it's a bloody start.

Well, I wish them luck if they blindly go into things because it says "free"

See my AT&T example or any commercial or product that says free. It is the consumer's responsibility to read