By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - European Commission plans to ban Free-to-Play games that are not actually free

Finally, someone takes action against the garbage. Can they sanction EA while they're at it?

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
vivster said:
God I hate the EU. By that definition they have to ban everything free because nothing is free in life.

They won't ban "free to play" games. Those games will still exist but the publishers could not use anymore the word "free" to promote them.

This is a good thing. Some children are easy target and begin to play those games because they've being told by their friends it's "free". But then after 6 months the kids are addicted (for real) to the game and parents realized the kid had bought (by stealing credit cards number mainly) hundred or thousands (yes thousands) of euros of virtual stuff (better weapons, virtual gold etc). Not really free I would say.

I have seen it before my own eyes. It really happens.

This needs to be a global thing.

HAHA this is awesome. The games themselves won't stop, but now all these companies will have to stop using the term "Free to Play" and use the term "Pay to Win".

TheDarkLink said:
vivster said:
God I hate the EU. By that definition they have to ban everything free because nothing is free in life.

This would protect alot of kids of being swapped by game developers!!! If a costs money they should NOT to be allowed to promote a game as free to play simply becouse it's not true!!! And I hate people who don't know nothing about the EU but are complaining about the EU!!!

Sorry but I'm living in the EU and their decisions actually affect me. Even more so than other EU countries because I'm literally paying the EU.

Free to play games are free to play. I'm playing PVZ2 for months now and didn't pay a thing.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
This needs to be a global thing.

YES!!!

vivster said:
TheDarkLink said:
vivster said:

This would protect alot of kids of being swapped by game developers!!! If a costs money they should NOT to be allowed to promote a game as free to play simply becouse it's not true!!! And I hate people who don't know nothing about the EU but are complaining about the EU!!!

Sorry but I'm living in the EU and their decisions actually affect me. Even more so than other EU countries because I'm literally paying the EU.

Free to play games are free to play. I'm playing PVZ2 for months now and didn't pay a thing.

We are talking about clueless kids who think that they get a free game and then found out that need to pay for everything and then starting to steal money or something like that ;) In the end it is good for everyone!!!

globalisateur said:
vivster said:

They won't ban "free to play" games. Those games will still exist but the publishers could not use anymore the word "free" to promote them.

This is a good thing. Some children are easy target and begin to play those games because they've being told by their friends it's "free". But then after 6 months the kids are addicted (for real) to the game and parents realized the kid had bought (by stealing credit cards number mainly) hundred or thousands (yes thousands) of euros of virtual stuff (better weapons, virtual gold etc). Not really free I would say.

I have seen it before my own eyes. It really happens.

So they don't label it as free to play anymore but it's still free. So people will have access to it.

This will be as effective as the warning labels on cigarette packets.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

TheDarkLink said:
vivster said:
TheDarkLink said:
vivster said:

We are talking about clueless kids who think that they get a free game and then found out that need to pay for everything and then starting to steal money or something like that ;) In the end it is good for everyone!!!

And how will a different label keep kids from getting it? It's still free.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
what about the "ftp" games being xboxlive paywall

May be banned