By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So, are these VR devices the next fad?

Will VR devices be a success?

yes, and they are here to stay 48 37.21%

yes, but they will be a short fad 16 12.40%

no, but they will find a niche 44 34.11%

no, huge bomb! 20 15.50%

Total:128

We already have Occulus right on the PC making the rounds and now we hear the Sony is about to announce a VR device for the ps4.  On top of that, there have been rumors from Microsoft that they are making a VR device to work in conjuction with kinect.  

So, the question is, do you think these devices are going to be successful?  If so, will they be successful in the long term or in the short term?  Or will they just bomb spectacularly?  

Personally, I kind of hope they bomb.  Because I doubt they will be priced that low, and honestly I am not excited at all about the idea of virtual reality.  

Around the Network

I just don't see people sitting in their living room or bedroom with a VR headset on their head...

I doubt it will take off.

I can't imagine technology that excludes the user from the real world to such an extent taking off. We are social animals and this makes any natural social interaction impossible.

The fact that it will be expensive as hell helps that notion a lot. I mean 4-500 for a console that would work with it. Do you think they will be letting their headgear with two expensive HD panels go for anything less than 2-300? I don't see it. So 6-800. Those are PS3 launch prices and I see consoles cheaper getting ignored... Well I guess 3D sold some TVs lol.

Unfortunately, since Nintendo hasn't bothered with this "second wave of VR", there's no baseline for the PR mouthpieces of other companies to use in order to position their product as the superior / hardcore / [insert obnoxious adjective] choice, and this creates a muddle of meh where people don't have the guidance of comparative marketing to make them want a thing.

It would definitely be considered a fad if they did, though. This attempt by others will have a burst of popularity, then disappear under the radar again, as it has been since the technology's inception, until it becomes light and portable enough not to interfere with our neck muscles, or get stupid comments.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network

Won't bomb but stay niche after a short media hype.

A lot of people will lose a lot of moneys on it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Depends on how they market it... If they market it as a gaming accessory then yea its a fad but if they market it as the ultimate virtual sex experience then no

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Gnac said:

Unfortunately, since Nintendo hasn't bothered with this "second wave of VR", there's no baseline for the PR mouthpieces of other companies to use in order to position their product as the superior / hardcore / [insert obnoxious adjective] choice, and this creates a muddle of meh where people don't have the guidance of comparative marketing to make them want a thing.

It would definitely be considered a fad if they did, though. This attempt by others will have a burst of popularity, then disappear under the radar again, as it has been since the technology's inception, until it becomes light and portable enough not to interfere with our neck muscles, or get stupid comments.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

I don't see it. I know a lot of people are swearing that this is a game changer, and this time it's for reals, but 3D and VR seem to crop up every decade or so and then fade away again. Most people simply don't want to wear a bunch of stupid shit on their face to play a game or watch a movie.

I guess one of the biggest determinations of whether or not these devices will be a success is their price point. I honestly can't imagine them being priced less than $300. That is way too much money for a peripheral with what seems like limited appeal to a mainstream audience.