By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sony: "3DS shows that playing on a dedicated handheld device has not gone”

The fundamental problem for Sony has always been that Nintendo is the very symbol for handheld gaming, so it will be almost impossible for them to ever break that dominance, even in a shrinking market.

Around the Network

the sad fact is the overall market has shrunk.

Kind of blows as the Vita is a very nice piece of hardware. Hell I even enjoy playing Killzone on it, even with its faults lol.

Sony has nothing to worry about. 3rd parties will save Vita. It's currently got more support, right?

They are right, but then again there can be only one! No but seriously its true. Unless Sony supports Vita with the same 1st party effort they put into their home consoles. But even Sony would be stretched way to thin for that.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

That just makes me think that the Vita really is Sony's last gaming hand-held at this point.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
leyendax69 said:
chidori-chan2 said:
Sony are pathetic using the example of sales of 3DS. lol

And you don't have reading comprehension.

"3DS shows that the sector is still there and that Nintendo is doing very well in it, so there is a market to harness."

That quote alone is basically saying Nintendo's success in that market means Vita can have success in it as well.

However, Nintendo actually makes an effort in that market. Sony has basically given up and is trying to make other uses for the Vita.

That is the big issue right there.  They keep talking about their device being positioned differently or not as strong in certain demographics. God forbid they actually develop a library for the system that could change that impression.  Instead they are happy to tell us to buy PS4 games and wait for something special to happen.  If only  SCEA could see that them actually making some software for the damn device would be the only thing special the system needs to happen.  They make games so it's not even that special. It should be business as usual. 

The 3DS shows that dedicated handheld systems have a place if the maker actually gives a damn about the platform and supports it with enough exclusive content. In the current climate 1st party games are more important than ever as 3rd parties can't be relied on to bring exclusive (or any) content to portable consoles.

It seems to be that Sony sort of knows how to make a probable console successful (all things considered), they just don't feel like doing it.

And mobile shows that Sony should have made vita an android capable phone.
I write a lot of threads about future strategy, and a good 50% of the time it almost feels like Sony is copying what I write. They should up that percentage to 90%.

Soundwave said:
Sony should honestly throw its support behind Nintendo for their next portable and Nintendo should maybe throw Sony a few titles on the PS4.

But like I said in the other thread, the reality here is the market for handhelds (yes even 3DS) has shrunk. Case in point:

3DS + Vita combined sold just under 180k this February. And that's with a fairly high charting new release in Bravely Default.

Yet these numbers don't even touch a similarly aged Sony PSP, which sold 243k in February 2008 (its 3rd Feb, just like this is the 3DS' third Feb). They're not even close to the DS, obviously either.

I'm ok with this.

I'll buy next Nintendo portable for Zelda and Metroid, and a PS4 for Zelda and Metroid.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

It's good to see them finally acknowledge that, no, mobile didn't eat the PSP's audience and they just failed to attract those people to the Vita.