By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gods... ops Naughty Dog Explains PS4's CPU, Memory and More in Detail and How They Can Make it “Run Really Fast”

walsufnir said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Dark_Feanor said:
Good, those are things that every Computer Science/Engineer learn in the first semester of the course. And you only really understand by the graduation, and may be never work with it.

Any way, GDDR 5 has nothing special, it just faster than normal DDR 3, but it´s interesting a game studio working that close to the metal for optmisation, that is the benefit of working in only one platform.

For me the guys at Epic and Cryteck are the real gods.

No, this is exactly what we were taught in the first semester *of the course*.

ISA, computer architecture, data paths, single cycle vs. multi-cycle data paths, branch prediction, score boards, caching (strategies, layout, misses), victim caches, data hazards, pipeline stalls, memory layout, cache snooping... All what is on these slides. All the did is fill it up with actual values.

When I read "PS4 has “really really good” branch prediction hardware" then it's not because of the wonder machine PS4 but that AMD has implemented good branch prediction in their CPUs so this applies to all processors of this kind.

We barely even covered any of that in mine.  

Around the Network
m0ney said:
All this tech talk and all they deliver is a clunky TPS and auto-platforming.

Would love to see what you could make.

walsufnir said:

Not all of these processes need to be executed while gaming... Why music unlimited? Why browser? These processes could easily be put in standby-mode b the os (and most probably they will do). It is most likely a fine-grainded rights-system behind such apps.

You can play music while gaming... so it can't be in background.

walsufnir said:

Nice to read about actual cycle-delays but what exactly is there new in these slides?

Well, it appears the L2 caches are only 1MB each if you believe the slides......

(Goes to show that either proofreading is not a ND strength or that one should not take everything as gospel)

VanceIX said:
If there's anyone that can use the PS4 to its full potential, it's Naughty Dog. Can't wait for Uncharted 4!

YOU READ MY MIND !!!  Uncharted4 will crash our jaws, it will be MINDBLOWING, Naughty Dog will be the 1st Dev to show to the world what PS4 is really capable of !   These guys know how to push a piece of hardware, they take their time to fully understand the best way to utilize thier resources. Of course it takes time, and the process never end !   Their second Game on PS4 will be more and more impressive than Uncharted4 !   You will see guys. you will be shocked, mark my words.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
think-man said:
m0ney said:
All this tech talk and all they deliver is a clunky TPS and auto-platforming.

Would love to see what you could make.

He can just say silly things...

OMG,  I would use other words talking about Uncharted2 and The Last Of Us, which(both) won how many Awards ? :)

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

think-man said:
walsufnir said:

No, this is exactly what we were taught in the first semester *of the course*.

ISA, computer architecture, data paths, single cycle vs. multi-cycle data paths, branch prediction, score boards, caching (strategies, layout, misses), victim caches, data hazards, pipeline stalls, memory layout, cache snooping... All what is on these slides. All the did is fill it up with actual values.

When I read "PS4 has “really really good” branch prediction hardware" then it's not because of the wonder machine PS4 but that AMD has implemented good branch prediction in their CPUs so this applies to all processors of this kind.

We barely even covered any of that in mine.  

In a computer architecture course!? What did you do then?!

ethomaz said:

walsufnir said:

Not all of these processes need to be executed while gaming... Why music unlimited? Why browser? These processes could easily be put in standby-mode b the os (and most probably they will do). It is most likely a fine-grainded rights-system behind such apps.

You can play music while gaming... so it can't be in background.

Oh, didn't know that. How does this interfer with game-music? Is the game-sound disabled then?

walsufnir said:

Oh, didn't know that. How does this interfer with game-music? Is the game-sound disabled then?

You need to turn off the Game Music only but the game sound and effects will be fine... that's what happened when I tried with the 30 days trial... I can't do more tests because I won't subscribe to the Music Unlimited.

Well play music uses so little CPU that I can't see it making so much differece in the OS resources.

The browser runs while gamimg too... I tried to open a page and continue to play so when I shifted to the browser the page was fully loaded... so it is not like the browser stoped until I put it in foreground... it was running and processing the page while I was playing.

ethomaz said:

walsufnir said:

You need to turn off the Game Music only but the game sound and effects will be fine... that's what happened when I tried with the 30 days trial... I can't do more tests because I won't subscribe to the Music Unlimited.

Well play music uses so little CPU that I can't see it making so much differece in the OS resources.

The browser runs while gamimg too... I tried to open a page and continue to play so when I shifted to the browser the page was fully loaded... so it is not like the browser stoped until I put it in foreground... it was running and processing the page while I was playing.

Yes, and that's exactly what you expect from a Next-Gen System. You don'T want to wait, you want your stuff instantly. Now even Sony themselves can't possibly know what kind of apps will come in the future, but just for the sake of speed, they will want to reserve enough resources for the system. They did that very well with Vita. To be quite honest, the PS4 has some catching up to do compared to the Menu of the Vita.

Anyway, as I said, 2 Cores for the system are quite reasonable in this day and age. After all, the system is supposed to be around until 2020 or so. The RAM could come down to 1 GB or something like that though. We'll see.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.