By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Preference - Longer or Shorter Games?

A real simple idea that came from twesterm's comments in this thread:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=17977&start=0 

What kind of games do you prefer?  Do you like to play games for hours on end?  Or do you prefer a title that you can play for a few minutes at a time?

As noted by twesterm's friends, as I've gotten older I've gravitated more towards games that let me play for a bit and then walk away.  Sure, I do like to play a longer game here and there.  But I generally don't have that kind of time.

Your thoughts?

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Around the Network

Well I prefer like the most people I guess: A good short game than a long sucky one...

But most of my games are long gameplay games (especially RPG's).

I like long games as they give me a bang for my buck, like RPGs, but I don't mind short games either just so long as their a thrill ride and have some re playability.

My overall favorite games are longer ones.

But now-a-days i prefer a 10-12 hour solo player experience. I also prefer pick and up play solo and multiplayer options (like collecting stars in mario galaxy or playing a few songs in rock band).

Longer for a great single player experience, Short games for lan or party ( I really don't like on-line play so much)

<The Knight of The Doomeds>

Around the Network

Well I like both at a price, I would pay full price for a long game, but if its a good short game i'll wait for a price drop or buy it used but overall I perfer Long games

I would say it depends on the type of game, a like a long RPG 50+hours but all other games should be atleast 10hours. I was really pissed at Halo3 for its short Story, even on Legendary it was really short, 8 hours max with two players, it might of even been shorter.

I prefer long games like Pokemon, Smash and Marios than shorts games.

How could anyone prefer a short game?

Certainly a long crappy game is worse than a great short one, but then a great long game is better than a great short game.

The real question should be: do you prefer long-session games or short-session? That is, do you prefer games that you only need to play 30 minutes at a time, or games that really are played better for 2+ hours at any sitting?  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

How could anyone prefer a short game?

Certainly a long crappy game is worse than a great short one, but then a great long game is better than a great short game.

The real question should be: do you prefer long-session games or short-session? That is, do you prefer games that you only need to play 30 minutes at a time, or games that really are played better for 2+ hours at any sitting?

A short game is fun, sometimes i like to play through it more then once, i know i can't do that with long games like FF. Plus long games are bad for the casual gamer, they don't spend alot of time gaming and most times they don't finish games.

I thought Half life two was too long/too boring, i made it half way done EP2 and stopped. It was just too long and not worth beating it, most of the game was like that. But i guess it might of been better when it first came out, but it does not stand up to the games that game out this year or last.