By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would it be smart for Apple to create their own console? Please read OP

Consoles aren't that profitable. For Apple standards, the profits generated from consoles would be a tiny fraction of their total profits. There really isn't a point for them to get into the already competitive market.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

Probably not.

MoHasanie said:
Consoles aren't that profitable. For Apple standards, the profits generated from consoles would be a tiny fraction of their total profits. There really isn't a point for them to get into the already competitive market.

Spot on.

Apple creates markets, they don't enter them.

They wouldn't make a video game system unless it was like the Wii.

JoeTheBro said:

...They entered the cell phone market. You can go on about them "creating the smart phone market," but what they really did was revolutionize the cell phone market. Who's to say they couldn't do the same for consoles. If any company had the balls to try and sell a digital-only home console, it would be Apple. And all they'd have to do is make their iConsole absorb their Apple TV the same way the iPhone absorbed the iPod.

If they really could get good support from 3rd parties, I'd buy it.

http://youtu.be/hlxgD-gvvXE

This is a video on how Apple could go about entering the console market. While I think Apple would be more ambitious (like creating a real controller and building a console with usable RAM and all that jazz), it does help to visualize how this could work. I think they could pull it off.

Around the Network

Consoles are no longer relevant. All Apple needs to do is make it easy-peasy to stream games through iPad/phone onto TV.

It would be a step back into the past for Apple to launch a traditional console now. The future is game streaming, and that doesn't need a dedicated device.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

spemanig said:
JoeTheBro said:

...They entered the cell phone market. You can go on about them "creating the smart phone market," but what they really did was revolutionize the cell phone market. Who's to say they couldn't do the same for consoles. If any company had the balls to try and sell a digital-only home console, it would be Apple. And all they'd have to do is make their iConsole absorb their Apple TV the same way the iPhone absorbed the iPod.

If they really could get good support from 3rd parties, I'd buy it.

http://youtu.be/hlxgD-gvvXE

This is a video on how Apple could go about entering the console market. While I think Apple would be more ambitious (like creating a real controller and building a console with usable RAM and all that jazz), it does help to visualize how this could work. I think they could pull it off.

By that logic the ipad just revolutionized the laptop market and apps just revolutionized the handheld gaming market.

No, I don't think that, but we'd be arguing over semantics. Revolutionize or create, they're still completely changing the game. That's why I said their system would have to be like the Wii. Nintendo's system ended up being a fad, but it still created its own market/ecosystem instead of competing with the other consoles.

The iConsole couldn't just be a better PS4. For it to follow trends from recent Apple products, it'd need to be a whole new experience.

Digital-only is certainly not that. The only revolution there is the lack of an inexpensive disc drive. Also that video was kinda amussing, considering the end talking about ouya.

Could they? Sure. But I honestly don't think the market is big enough to support four major gaming consoles. I honestly don't think it's big enough to support three.

Also, like Dr. Henry said. They don't price to compete. A big part of Apples success is the willingness of the customer to pay more because it's Apple. That wouldn't fly in the gaming world.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

BeElite said:
prayformojo said:

If Jobs were alive, I'm positive he could pull it off with just how popular that brand is. But without him, it would probably be a disaster. There's a reason Apple hasn't released another revolutionary product since his passing.

lol what could he do that apple now cant ? same people in apple whos ideas he was taking credit for.

When Jobs was forced out of Apple. the company tanked. When he came back, the world got the iMac,iPod,iPhone and iPad. See the difference?

I still have hope for it to happen some day... It would be awesome.