By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - New PC, I'm desperate, please help

I'm desperate. I have been trying to get back into PC gaming since December 2013, I re-activated my Steam account and baught games for 200 Euros (loving to replay Age of Empires 2 and Titan Quest among other games, bought Skyrim and a bunch of other modern games), but my PC is from 2008 and I'm rusty when it comes to PC hardware and picking proper parts.

I want to order this damn thing tonite. Sunday night

Will these parts work together?

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

Chipset AMD 990FX
CPU-Socket AMD AM3/AMD AM3+
Formfaktor ATX

(I gave up on the Gigabyte muthaboards, at least what they have in stock in the e-stores here in Sweden, since they apparently require to download updated Bios to support my CPU of choice, and that sounds very complicated).

-------------------

RAM memory:

Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 16GB KIT
16GB kit (8GBx2), Sport,1600MHz, 1.5V, CL9-9-9-24

------------

AMD FX-8350 processur Black Edition

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Socket-AM3+, 4.0GHz, 8-Core, 8MB L2 + 8MB L3 Cache, 125W, 32nm, Boxed w/fan

1.549:-

-------------------

AMD Radeon R9 290 grafix card (and possibly another one later to go Crossfire)

-------------------------

Will this 750W PSU be enuff power for the system including two AMD R9 290's?

Corsair CX 750M, 750W PSU
ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Modular. 4x 6+2pin PCIe, 8x SATA, 6x Molex
(2)
795:-

Corsair CX 750M, 750W PSU

-----------------------

Moniter, undecided

-------------------

SSD:

Samsung SSD EVO Basic 840-Series 120GB

Samsung SSD EVO Basic 840-Series 120GB är en snabb och pålitlig SSD med 540MB/s i läshastighet.

Kommer utan några tillbehör, kablar eller adaptrar!

Youtube-video
Ýoutube-recension
Klicka för att visa hela texten
Webbpris: 799 kr Lägg i kundvagnen
Webblager   > 50 st Fraktkostnad   0 kr
Butiker
  • Ringön: 11 st
  • Sisjön: 10 st
  • Torp: 10 st
  • Stockholm: 12 st
  • Malmö: 12 st
  • "> 
    > 50 st Hos leverantör   > 50 st
    Hårddisktyp SSD
    Flashminnestyp TLC, NAND
    Tillverkningsprocess 19nm
    Kontroller Samsung MEX
    Formfaktor 2.5", 7mm tjock
    Storlek 120 GB
    Buffertminne 256 MB
    Anslutning SATA
    Gränssnitt SATA 6,0 Gbit/s
    Läshastighet 540 MB/sek
    Skrivhastighet 410 MB/sek
    Garanti 3 år

--------------------------

NZXT Phantom 410 Midi Tower Röd

Fläktar: 1x 120mm Front, 1x 140mm Topp, 1x 120mm Bak, ATX, mATX, mITX, USB2/3.0

989:-

-------------------

Windows 8.1 Swedish

Ej betygsatt Läs recensioner | Ny recension
    Webbpris: 964 kr
    Språk Svenska
    Licensmodell Fullversion
    Plattform PC
    Antal användare 1 st
    Övrigt DVD med 32- och 64-bitars version

-------------

Router (I need internet on upper floor and bottom floor in my house):

ASUS RT-N12 D1 N300

Trådlös N300 3-i-1 router/AP/räckviddsförlängning

- Flera lägen för router/åtkomstpunkt/räckviddsförlängning
    - Två löstagbara 5 dBi-antenner för kraftfullare och större täckningsområde.
    - Fyra SSID gör det möjligt att hantera bandbreddsallokering och åtkomstkontroll.
    - Kraftfull flerprogramskörning med upp till 30 000 datasessioner
    Klicka för att visa hela texten
    Ej betygsatt Läs recensioner | Ny recension
    Webbpris: 289 kr Lägg i kundvagnen
    Webblager   > 50 st Fraktkostnad   0 kr
    Butiker
  • Ringön: 5 st
  • Sisjön: 4 st
  • Torp: 14 st
  • Stockholm: 3 st
  • Malmö: 3 st
  • "> 
    29 st Hos leverantör   0 st

Trådlöst nätverk

Trådlöst nätverk Ja
    Dual Band Nej
    Trådlös standard 802.11 b/g/n

Anslutningar

LAN-Port 4 st, 10/100Mbit
    WAN-port 1 st, 10/100Mbit
    ADSL-modem Nej
    3G-modem Nej

Prestanda

Trådlös hastighet 300 Mbit/s
    Antenndelar 2 st

Funtioner

Skrivardelning Nej
    Hårddiskdelning Nej
    Trådlös säkerhet WPA/WPA2
    Gästnätverk Ja
    Föräldrakontroll Ja
    QoS (Quality of Service) Ja
    Öppen källkod Nej
    Repeater Ja
    VPN-stöd Nej

Mått

Längd 128 mm
    Bredd 179 mm
    Höjd 28 mm

Övrigt

Kan väggmonteras Ja
    Medföljande tillbehör Nätverkskabel 1m och nätdel
    Garanti 3 år

Around the Network

A few things.

This looks like a configurator. Don't do it. Buy cheap and build it on your own or let someone help you with that. It's overpriced shit.

Unless you are the biggest AMD fanboy go with Intel for CPU. It looks like you have a big enough budget. Any 4 core Intel CPU will smoke the biggest 8 core AMDs when it comes to gaming.

PSU is more than enough even for CF. I prefer BeQuiet though.

SSD is too small. Not only are the 120GB slower than the 250GB models but you will run out of space soon. Get at least 250GB and partition like 60-100GB for the system and the rest for the games.

If you tell me your full budget I can recommend a selection of parts.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
    A few things.

This looks like a configurator. Don't do it. Buy cheap and build it on your own or let someone help you with that. It's overpriced shit.

Unless you are the biggest AMD fanboy go with Intel for CPU. It looks like you have a big enough budget. Any 4 core Intel CPU will smoke the biggest 8 core AMDs when it comes to gaming.

SSD is too small. Not only are the 120GB slower than the 250GB models but you will run out of space soon. Get at least 250GB and partition like 60-100GB for the system and the rest for the games.

1. It's not a configurator actually. I'm picking the parts by myself and see what happens.

2. I'm a huge AMD fan. No Intel ever for me.

3. PSU u sure it's enuff? 750W for two R9 290s? I dont no what is BeQuiet. I heard Corsair PSUs are the best quality.

4. SSD u sure is too small 120GB? Im gonna combine with a 1.5 TB regular HDD. Only gonna have OS and 3-4 games on the SSD.

My full budget, I'm not sure.... 12-500 Euros around? Plus 400 Euros for Moniter.

Slimebeast said:
    vivster said:
    A few things.

1. It's not a configurator actually. I'm picking the parts by myself and see what happens.

3. PSU u sure it's enuff? 750W for two R9 290s? I dont no what is BeQuiet. I heard Corsair PSUs are the best quality.

4. SSD u sure is too small 120GB? Im gonna combine with a 1.5 TB regular HDD. Only gonna have OS and 3-4 games on the SSD.

My full budget, I'm not sure.... 12-500 Euros around? Plus 400 Euros for Moniter.

What's that for a budget? 500? 1250?

Just throwing it out there, currently AMD cpus aren't even comparable to intel CPUs unless you are on a budget. So if you have to go with AMD you really need the biggest one they offer to be at least close to a bit of gaming power. Then again, if you take advantage of AMD's mantle the CPU shouldn't be the problem.

It's the first time I heard anyone saying Corsair, PSU and best in the same sentence. BeQuiet really is the norm for most gaming PCs I know and helped build.

750W is more than enough on a quality PSU. The maximum output(including maximum OC) on a 2x 290 CF system is just under 700W and that is an extreme scenario with high OC on the CPU as well. If you don't go too crazy with OC you should be fine.

Trust me, you can't have too much room on an SSD. Going from 120 to 250 won't explode your budget. Games don't get smaller over the years.

Have you thought about the CPU heatsink? It's missing on your list.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
    Slimebeast said:
    vivster said:
    A few things.

What's that for a budget? 500? 1250?

Just throwing it out there, currently AMD cpus aren't even comparable to intel CPUs unless you are on a budget. So if you have to go with AMD you really need the biggest one they offer to be at least close to a bit of gaming power. Then again, if you take advantage of AMD's mantle the CPU shouldn't be the problem.

It's the first time I heard anyone saying Corsair, PSU and best in the same sentence. BeQuiet really is the norm for most gaming PCs I know and helped build.

750W is more than enough on a quality PSU. The maximum output(including maximum OC) on a 2x 290 CF system is just under 700W and that is an extreme scenario with high OC on the CPU as well. If you don't go too crazy with OC you should be fine.

Trust me, you can't have too much room on an SSD. Going from 120 to 250 won't explode your budget. Games don't get smaller over the years.

Have you thought about the CPU heatsink? It's missing on your list.

Oh, budget is between 1200 Euros and 1500 Euros.

Corsair is the thing here in Sweden. They dont sell much BeQuiets.

120GB SSD to 250GB SSD sounds like it will be anotha 100 Euros? WOnt I just be fine with 120gb SSD (Windows 8, Skyrim, Oblivon, The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition) + 1.5TB HDD?

What do you mean CPU heatsink? I forgot what that is. If I buy a CPU it has a fan included and those metal rails it stands on, then I put that cooling paste between the metal and the CPU. It works like that with AMD FX-8350 too, doesn it?

Around the Network

This SSD good then (it has 240GB)?

INTEL 520 240GB SATA SSD MLC BULK
    Flashhårddisk med extremt snabb skrivhastighet, söktid och låg strömförbrukning
    [Klicka för att visa stor bild] [Klicka för att visa stor bild]

Formfaktor Intern
    Hårddisktyp Solid-state
    Tumstorlek 2,5 "
    Lagringskapacitet 240 GB
    Gränssnitt SATA-III

Only 130 Euros.

I had to..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Why on Earth would you ever get an AMD CPU over an Intel? That makes no sense.

besides that everything looks solid.

Slimebeast said:

Oh, budget is between 1200 Euros and 1500 Euros.

Corsair is the thing here in Sweden. They dont sell much BeQuiets.

120GB SSD to 250GB SSD sounds like it will be anotha 100 Euros? WOnt I just be fine with 120gb SSD (Windows 8, Skyrim, Oblivon, The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition) + 1.5TB HDD?

What do you mean CPU heatsink? I forgot what that is. If I buy a CPU it has a fan included and those metal rails it stands on, then I put that cooling paste between the metal and the CPU. It works like that with AMD FX-8350 too, doesn it?

You don't want to cool your CPU with the stock cooler do you? Do you have a high tolerance for noise? If not then you need a proper heatsink, especially for an AMD CPU which just gets crazy warm. The Thermalright HR-02 Macho is really a staple in most gaming PCs. It's very cool and quiet for its price.

Have you decided yet on which 290 you will get? When it comes to noise, cooling and OC I prefer the Asus DirectCU the most. But you can't really go wrong with MSI Twin Frozr, Gigabyte Windforce or Sapphire  Tri-X.

I really think you should reconsider that AMD CPU, for more than one reason.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-9590-9370_5.html#sect0
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-9590-9370_7.html#sect0