By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When Gamers were gamers not Loyalty fans!

ChronotriggerJM said:

But that's all your opinion, YOU haven't seen anything, I have. I've seen the jump from Resistance 1 to Ratchet and Clank, I've seen Uncharted, I see things in Sony exclusives that I just don't see on the 360. And the whole "number calculations blah blah blah" sure if you want to view it that way go ahead, personally I'll take the "setting an unprecedented world record in folding@home to learn and prevent illnesses such as Alzeimers, Cancer and shit I dunno west nile virus". Look if you want to make Sony out to be the monster, go ahead. But we call that "wearing the shades".

I play video games to relax, and enjoy an interactive story, should I make Nintendo the enemy? Trying to get me "more active" and with story's about as deptfull as a 4 year olds picture book? No, I simply don't like them, do I understand what they're doing? Absolutely, and I applaud them for it. Thank god for Sony even bothering to push technology or we'd be stuck with playstation 1 hardware (how long was the original gameboy out for before updating?). Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it's not there.

Hey I've never said about making anyone out to be the bad guy or anything in this, and I certainly do see what's going on. I make efforts not to bias myself by getting the views on everything. Your comment on Folding is absolutely true and I myself applaud Sony for that, but not to try and sound harsh - what does it do for gaming?

I'll go now into another reason I've no desire for the PS3 in this generation, and that's its evident fixation on making the PS3 more of a multimedia hub than a gaming console, and in doing so it seems to be losing any kind of niche to it as a console.

Wii has it's controls, it's new approach to gaming and the unpredictable kind of new gaming experiences we'll see in time.

360 has it's focus on online communities, achievements and gamerscores, and delivering those huge epic kinds of games you mention yourself.

PS3... As a console how can it sell itself without being directly compared and contrasted to the 360? What is the PS3's niche, it's stand out point?

Personally if I didn't already own a gaming PC I could possibly be tempted by it's huge variety of uses as well as it's gaming functionality, but when it stands on it's own as just a games console I can't see anything in it to seperate it from it's main competition: the 360.

And I'd hate to go off topic, but you say "But we call that "wearing the shades"." in regards to some of my PS3 comments, I could so easily reverse that your way for the Wii comment about 'Active games' and lack of epic story driven games. It's another one of those 'Wii is not for Hardcore Gamers' arguements that is absolutely not true. Whilst you'll never see games with the same visuals as on the PS3 or 360, to say you will not see the same type of games altogether is completely wrong. Sorry to digress again.

Around the Network
MrMarc said:

I make efforts not to bias myself by getting the views on everything.

It'd be so much easier to believe you if you didn't have this in your signature:

Real 'Hardcore' gamers play Nintendo.

Words Of Wisdom said:
MrMarc said:

It'd be so much easier to believe you if you didn't have this in your signature:

Haha, good move, have a point for that.

But really, I do like to think I'm not as narrow minded as a majority of fanboys on a multitude of forums, and I do believe I can portray that very well.

Let me just bring something to the table though, put the following all into perspective:

Let's say Konami NEVER announced MGS4 for the PS3, and in a controversial move they announced it exclusively for the Wii using an upgrade of the engine used for MGS3. Let's say it advanced to be the exact same game it's going to be when it is released, all barring the visuals being the obvious.

Let's say Uncharted was instead a Wii game, using... I don't know... the same engine from Tomb Raider Anniversary or something along those lines?

Ratchet and Clank, again, what if it wasn't a PS3 but a Wii game (ignoring the fact it is a Sony property heh) using an upgrade of the engines in the PS2 titles?

The Wii will be able to provide the exact same gaming experiences the 360 and PS3 deliver, not the same visual or aural experiences, but the same 'gaming' experiences and thats a point I'm trying to make against PS3 and 360 fans... fans, not fan'boys'. You wouldn't hate any of these games and you know you wouldn't.

You can put those same examples to use with 360 titles and the outcome would still be the same.

They aren't brilliant games because they're on the PS3, they're brilliant games because naturally - they are JUST brilliant.

Well the other day I tried Wii-bowling while laying on my couch lol, not the best idea, I did fairly poorly :D but maybe thats just my lack of mad skill. And with recent additions like Wii-fit and such, I would say they're going for a more active approach, hell even a gun-con game is more active lol.

I agree that they haven't done all that much for "gaming" but then again, Sony as a company is a Multimedia cooperation, obviously Nintendo is going to make those strides as they have a much higher dependency to do so. But how about for us "Gamers" that feel we want to watch movies also? Play MP3's as I work? Hell Sony software by itself is contributing to our view of gaming. Games like Loco-roco, Patapon, and Shadow of the Colossus are great examples. All I'm saying, is that yes Sony borrows ideas from other company's (motion control from Wii, network from M$), but in the end it only makes there product better. So take a look at Sony as more than just gaming, and you'll see plenty of innovation.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

MrMarc said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
MrMarc said:

Haha, good move, have a point for that.

But really, I do like to think I'm not as narrow minded as a majority of fanboys on a multitude of forums, and I do believe I can portray that very well.

Let me just bring something to the table though, put the following all into perspective:

Let's say Konami NEVER announced MGS4 for the PS3, and in a controversial move they announced it exclusively for the Wii using an upgrade of the engine used for MGS3. Let's say it advanced to be the exact same game it's going to be when it is released, all barring the visuals being the obvious.

Let's say Uncharted was instead a Wii game, using... I don't know... the same engine from Tomb Raider Anniversary or something along those lines?

Ratchet and Clank, again, what if it wasn't a PS3 but a Wii game (ignoring the fact it is a Sony property heh) using an upgrade of the engines in the PS2 titles?

The Wii will be able to provide the exact same gaming experiences the 360 and PS3 deliver, not the same visual or aural experiences, but the same 'gaming' experiences and thats a point I'm trying to make against PS3 and 360 fans... fans, not fan'boys'. You wouldn't hate any of these games and you know you wouldn't.

You bring up some good points, but I don't consider Nintendo to be "Changing gaming", only how it's controlled. Weather or not I can swing the Wiimote to hit a digital ball, or push a button to hit a digital ball, we both hit that digital ball lol. And as I said earlier, I don't view games in the regard of just mindless entertainment, I'm looking for an engrossing story and a means of relaxing.

I really see why Nintendo's successful, I see it's intuitive controls, but I honestly don't see it bringing anything else to the table. I only played the demo of Super Mario Galaxy, but after having it be the exact same controls as super mario 64, only this time around I can zap "star bits" with the Wiimote, I honestly didn't see what was so special. It never hit me in the sense that "oh shit, this really can't be played on any other system!" Even games like Metroid prime, which get massive praise for its use of motion control, I can play "superior graphical " FPS's on other consoles and achieve the same thing. Sure I can't pull on a switch and have it open a door, but I can push that lil button.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe a game is more than just controls, and when done properly you can really see that.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

It's just like a Nintendo fanboy to say something like this.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Umm, when has fanboyism NOT been around?? It wasn't as pervasive without the internet, but there was huge loyalty camps for Nintendo vs Sega vs the other guy (eventually that other guy was Sony).

Even prior to that it was Atari vs Intellivision vs every other 3rd stringer, until Colecovision came along and trumped them all because Colecovision is the greatest console ever made!!! Ever!! Oops, sorry, slipping back into some old school fanboyism of my own....

I'd agree people are brand loyal. They're also just defensive about their consoles. I've only seen one Wii owner admit he got bored of his Wii, theres a thread about it somewhere.

I'll admit PS3 was expensive (but not overpriced) and had B.S. games for about a year, some could argue it still has B.S. games until the heavy hitters of '08/'09 come out (FF13, GT5, MGS4, KZ2)

I'll admit 360 is crap and breaks down every 5 min and is only good for FPS except the odd RPG or Racing game.

I have been brand loyal quite a bit. From Nintendo in the good old Game Boy days, to only Sony in the PS1 and PS2 days, to Sony and Microsoft currently with my PS360 and PSP.

I will say I was never a Panasonic fanboy in the 3DO days! haha