By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When do you consider a game "flop"?

Tagged games:

Depends on the game, genre, franchise, there isn't a "one size fits all" for determining if a game has flopped or not.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

I would consider a game a flop when a game sells badly despite people expecting it to sell well. I was going to say "despite the studio expecting it to sell well" but I think they always expect a game to do well and we don't really know what counts as a success to the studio.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

I go by the previous iteration for franchise and by how I feell that day for new I.Ps

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

flop = money in > money out

It depends on the install base vs the sales and it has to cover less than 10-15%% of the user base within the first 2-3 months for me to call it a flop

So for example, lets say Rayman Legends sells 1 million across ps3, xbox 360, wiiU, vita and PC it has an install base of:
80+81+5.8+7.8+65 = 239 million (I know sales does not mean install base but you get the point)

So 1 million out of 239 million = 0.4% vs a game like DKC:TF which lets say sells 1 million out of 5.8 million user base
So 1 million out of 5.8 million = 17.2% (I swear, if I am doing my math wrong on both/either, its cause I am really tired and terrible at math)

In which case, I would call Rayman Legends a flop cause it had a much larger user base and it didn't sell at least 10% of the userbase at the time

Also, if a game sells over 2 million but its exclusive to one console, even if the console has 100 mill install base, I would call that a success and not a flop

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I would say that there are more factors than just profit that would have to be added for a game to flop, in my mind.

If the game sells less than expected, it's a flop.
If the game doesn't generate any money it's a flop.
If the game is a sequel and sells less than its previous games it's a flop.

When it's released for the Wii U.

I kid, I kid!

When it's announced if it isn't also coming out on my favourite system at the time?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

d21lewis said:

Can't believe u went there brah

iceland said:
d21lewis said:

Can't believe u went there brah

dat dis lol :D awesome. Saved for future GotG posts.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive