By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Xbox-like Official Licensed Asymmetrical Controller Released by Hori

ironmanDX said:
d21lewis said:
ironmanDX said:
Looks cheap. I didn't buy one 3rd party controller last gen, probably won't start now.

The only third party controller I bought since the PS2/Gamecube era was this one by Power A and it was pretty sweet.  Didn't have the motion controls and it was wired but I still used it more than the DS3.  Third parties make decent stuff....sometimes.

How was the d-pad on that thing? It looks horrible, the rest looks alright though.

I never played a fighting game with it and that's the real test of a d-pad.  I don't remember having any complaints when I used it, though.  It lights up for some strange reason but that could be turned off.

Around the Network

How does asymmetrical analogue sticks complement symmetrical hands, fingers and thumbs?
Either stick both the analogue sticks higher up or keep them like they are on the dualshock. it doesnt make sense to use a different layout on either side when both your hands are the same and you are using the left and right analogue sticks the same amount of time.

fps_d0minat0r said:
How does asymmetrical analogue sticks complement symmetrical hands, fingers and thumbs?
Either stick both the analogue sticks higher up or keep them like they are on the dualshock. it doesnt make sense to use a different layout on either side when both your hands are the same and you are using the left and right analogue sticks the same amount of time.

Dude lets not start another one of these, if it didn't work then the 360 wouldn't be called the best controller of the 7th generation.

fps_d0minat0r said:

I'm no controller designer but I think it just feels better to have the thing you're going to use the most (the left analog stick and the face buttons) in the higher position.  Now, I admit I love the Wii U layout but it took quite a while to train myself to get used to it.  I've owned every Playstation console/DS controller since 1997 but when I got ahold of the Xbox 360--and before that, the Dreamcast, the left stick just felt "right" in that position.  It felt natural.

jlmurph2 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Dude lets not start another one of these, if it didn't work then the 360 wouldn't be called the best controller of the 7th generation.

im not saying it didnt work. Im sure even having analogue sticks where the triggers are would work and I could get used to that as well.

All im trying to say is they are trying to change something that doesnt need to be changed because its already in the best position.

and its not about PS3 vs 360, its about dualshock 4 vs this Hori controller.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

I'm no controller designer but I think it just feels better to have the thing you're going to use the most (the left analog stick and the face buttons) in the higher position.  Now, I admit I love the Wii U layout but it took quite a while to train myself to get used to it.  I've owned every Playstation console/DS controller since 1997 but when I got ahold of the Xbox 360--and before that, the Dreamcast, the left stick just felt "right" in that position.  It felt natural.

I agree with the bolded statement.

The only problem is that in 3d games the right analogue stick is used for longer durations than the face buttons because its almost always used to pan the camera.

in 2d games like fighting and platformers, its perfect to have the d-pad on the same level as the face buttons.

I will pass on that controller.

My body was not made lopsided

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

fps_d0minat0r said:
jlmurph2 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

im not saying it didnt work. Im sure even having analogue sticks where the triggers are would work and I could get used to that as well.

All im trying to say is they are trying to change something that doesnt need to be changed because its already in the best position.

and its not about PS3 vs 360, its about dualshock 4 vs this Hori controller.

They aren't changing anything. Its not like this controller is the new standard. Hori just got to it before another company did. I only brought up 7th gen because there's a ton of these for the PS3 already. Why not have choices? 

J_Allard said:
I wonder if they made the analog nubs wear down really fast for extra DS4 authenticity.

Still better than the X1's controller.

I wonder why some people think someone has to be a mutant or a freak of nature in order to use an assymetrical analog stick type of controller.