By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 software sales surpassed Nintendo DS

DS undertracked? (from that link)

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Wagram said:
PS2 so beast.

Yeah I didn't realize it was so far ahead :O

Lawlight said:
PS3 is probably way higher now with digital and shipped.

Yeah, counting in digital sales, the gap between Wii, 360 and PS3 software sales is probably much smaller.

Sony is really pushing digital sales with great bargains every month, Microsoft's digital promotions like the "XBL Ultimate Game Sale" are less frequent and Nintendo's ambitions to sell Wii games digitally (besides WiiWare and VC) are... nonexistant.

BasilZero said:
the_dengle said:

I blame this little devil.

Those numbers still cant be right though considering the fact that emulators were available quite a couple of years before.

The fact that NDS sold about 150+ mil means pretty sure they sold more software than what was counted @ VGChartz

Well Morenoingrato posted it :o.

Or you could count all the casuals that just bought their Sudoku and were fine with it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

PS2... The True King

Around the Network

PS2 basically obliterated everyone.

Top 10 Games of All Time

1. The Last of Us, 2. Journey, 3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, 4. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, 5. Bioshock Infinite, 6. Zelda: Twilight Princess, 7. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, 8. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 9. Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, 10. Starcraft

Add me on PSN. Thanks.

Conina said:
morenoingrato said:
According to Nintendo, DS stands at 942 Million units of software.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

Do these 942 Million units contain DSi digital downloads and retail games still on the shelves?

The latter yes, because those Nintendo numbers are always shipped numbers, but it's actually a very good question whether or not DSi-ware is included in Nintendo's figure. One would be inclined to think "yes", because there's no way there are 150m games still on shelves and DSi-ware are games after all. However, if DSi-ware is included, their Wii figure would also include Wii-ware sales, and maybe even Virtual Console sales, which in turn means something is substantially wrong with VGC's figure for Wii software in a negative sense (which is probably the case anyway)...

-----

As a side-note, it wouldn't be the first time one of these totals are wrong here on VGC, when the PS1 here sold 104.25m while Sony only shipped 102.49m...

And yes, PS2 game sales are insane, I always find it strange that the system's best-selling games are at relatively low sales, there were just many that did 'very good' instead of a few that did 'amazing' I guess.

Wii still far ahead, but achievable. PS2 in another league.

Wright said:

I'm actually surprised for the 360.  How the heck did it managed to get so high?!

NA tends to have the highest attachment ratio of NA, EU and JP, which also happens to be the region where MS sell the majority of their consoles (nearly 58%, compared to about 34% for the PS3), which in tern leads to a high number of software sales compared to a console with the same install base, but less sales in that higher attachment rate region.

Interestingly the PS3 actually has a higher attachment rate than the 360 in NA, with the 360 coming out on-top in the EU. The reverse of their hardware sales :P

vivster said:
BasilZero said:
the_dengle said:

I blame this little devil.

Those numbers still cant be right though considering the fact that emulators were available quite a couple of years before.

The fact that NDS sold about 150+ mil means pretty sure they sold more software than what was counted @ VGChartz

Well Morenoingrato posted it :o.

Or you could count all the casuals that just bought their Sudoku and were fine with it.

That's right, the casuals are poor customers because they buy the wrong games (and not enough of them). Anything to draw people's attention away from the respectable "hardcore" gamer who buys one cartridge not licensed by Nintendo that gives them questionably legal access to the entire DS library without buying any actual games.

The hardcore are the one true market that will treat you right and the casuals are unreliable and fickle. No way would the glorious hardcore master race be so fickle and disrespectful as to stop actually paying for games if the option presented itself. They're way too classy for that.