By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The inflection point for diminishing returns appears to be the PS3/360 generation

I never believed in diminishing returns, but then next gen came out and I'm just not seeing a huge leap. Take Killzone Shadowfall. It didn't garner near the massive graphics hype of the original Killzone on PS3. Why? Because it looks like just something we'd already seen on PC, or not really THAT much better than a good Xbox 360 shooter like Halo 4, or hell even Crysis 3 on 360.

Now, I know that next gen will produce better things once engines are built from the ground up for them. But to my shock and surprise, next gen games so far look like really good PS3/360 games, not another world.

You couldn't say that for any prior gen. every gen was a HUGGGGEEE leap on the one before. Ps3/360 was a HUGE leap over Ps2. PS2 was a HUGE leap over PS1. And all the way back.

So yep, it seems, unless the future changes my mind, that the PS3/360 gen was the last low hanging fruit, where things looked just massively better at a glance.

Around the Network
fallen said:

I never believed in diminishing returns, but then next gen came out and I'm just not seeing a huge leap. Take Killzone Shadowfall. It didn't garner near the massive graphics hype of the original Killzone on PS3. Why? Because it looks like just something we'd already seen on PC, or not really THAT much better than a good Xbox 360 shooter like Halo 4, or hell even Crysis 3 on 360.

Now, I know that next gen will produce better things once engines are built from the ground up for them. But to my shock and surprise, next gen games so far look like really good PS3/360 games, not another world.

You couldn't say that for any prior gen. every gen was a HUGGGGEEE leap on the one before. Ps3/360 was a HUGE leap over Ps2. PS2 was a HUGE leap over PS1. And all the way back.

So yep, it seems, unless the future changes my mind, that the PS3/360 gen was the last low hanging fruit, where things looked just massively better at a glance.

Becuase Killzone 2 didn't come out until 2009 ?

I don't know. I look at The Order and it seems like a big leap to me.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

fallen said:

I never believed in diminishing returns, ....

You never believed in diminishing returns? What? It's like saying, "I never believed in gravity". Either you have a very deep misunderstanding of what diminishing returns is (and not understood your econ class even a bit), or you are just very good at deluding yourself.

Try drinking your favorite drink till you are hospitalized! The last bit of drink will have severely negative returns, then you'll believe in dimishing returns.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

I, for one, am impressed by what I've seen. At the same time, though, I'm currently neck-deep in my backlog, so take that with grain of salt.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Around the Network

Have you ever seen shadow of the colossus...or god of war 2, ff12, odin sphere?
The games actually look better than early ps360 games.

You really have to wait until the devs get used to the programming.
I mean, I look at games like quantum break, infamous, killzone and I can see immediately how much power these next gens are packing...and this is only the beginning

I went and played SotC the other day, and felt like I was playing a ps3 game.

Disagree.

As people have already pointed out, launch titles are always a minimal jump over the latest games from the previous generation. If Killzone Shadowfall is what a launch title looks like, then I can't wait to see what the PS4's equivalent to Metal Gear Solid 3 or God of War 2 looks like.

theprof00 said:

I mean, I look at games like quantum break, infamous, killzone and I can see immediately how much power these next gens are packing...and this is only the beginning

When he says diminishing returns, I don't think he's referring to smaller increases in graphical output. I'm sure the developers could definitely crank out many more pixels, etc. Rather, I'm pretty sure he's referring to human's ability to notice/care about increasing graphical output after a certain threshold. For example, I think many PS3/360 games look good enough, and any further advances would be largely unnoticeable and/or negligible.

Jay520 said:
theprof00 said:

When he says diminishing returns, I don't think he's referring to smaller increases in graphical output. I'm sure the developers could definitely crank out many more pixels, etc. Rather, I'm pretty sure he's referring to human's ability to notice/care about increasing graphical output after a certain threshold. For example, I think many PS3/360 games look good enough, and any further advances would be largely unnoticeable and/or negligible.

Wait... diminishing returns is about how it takes more and more effort for people to notice a discernable difference. 

You think he's talking about some threshold? Like...the ps360 threshold? Because I can kind of agree. Ps360 games do already look great.

BUT... I think pOne games look much much much better...and that's only my opinion now. I can't wait to be blown away by later games.

I agree, yeah there is a threshold for whether I care, but I feel like we are quickly approaching it. 

theprof00 said:

BUT... I think pOne games look much much much better...and that's only my opinion now. I can't wait to be blown away by later games.

Wat

EDIT: Oh, I'll assume that's shorthand for PS4/XBone. In that case, I would say that, from what I've seen, they don't look much better at all.