By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN-Thief: Next Gen vs. Current Gen Graphics Comparison

This game does not show any evidence to justify a jump to PS4 or XBone for PS3 and 360 owners. The graphical improvements are marginal at best.

Yes, I know, higher native resolution on the PS4, yes I saw the texture clarity in the next gen versions, none of that will matter when you are actually playing the game.

This generation's leap has been highly disappointing to me so far.

And which one looks better between the one and ps4 will come down to personal preference. The differences are so minute that you have to do still frame comparisons to see them

Monument Games, Inc.  Like us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/MonumentGames

Nintendo Netword ID: kanageddaamen

Monument Games, Inc President and Lead Designer
Featured Game: Shiftyx (Android) https://market.android.com/details?id=com.MonumentGames.Shiftyx

Free ad supported version:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.MonumentGames.ShiftyxFree

Around the Network

they pretty much all look the same except for x1 looking darker.

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA

fleischr said:

The PS4/XOne/PC versions are all visually stunning -- but I think I like the looks of the XOne version the best because it has better color depth and contrast. PS4 version has some nice extra lighting effects, but looks a little washed out.

lol unless u love jaggies

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

S.T.A.G.E. said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
There is, of course, essentially no difference between gen 7 and 8 versions of the game.

There is a reason for that. The game by itself isnt truly next gen.All games that are closer to current gen are suffering because of the fact that the games were made to still ago after the 360 and PS3 crowd, which PC gamers were complaining about with current gen games. Eventually the old batch of games will be flushed out.

Yup, that's why I said "Of course".  The assets and game design are essentially the same for all systems.  I find these comparisons kind of silly.

PS4 colors looked washed out.

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:

of course its a youtube video

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

FATALITY said:
NobleTeam360 said:

X1 doesn't. 

NobleTeam360 said:
FATALITY said:
NobleTeam360 said:

X1 doesn't. 

xbox is not 1080p.it will look horrible like that

I watched a couple minutes of gameplay on the live stream last night. The colors are definitely not washed out on tv, it's freaking dark with almost only shadow detail. It didn't look next gen though. Maybe the compressed stream was hiding super detailed textures but the geometry and object detail was definitely last gen.
Buggy too, whoever was playing was trying to toss an invisible body on obvious floor plates to set off a trap.

Hynad said:

The XBO version is crushing blacks. Most likely due to IGN fucking up their gamma settings. ¬_¬

Although I must admit that I love the saturated look it gives to the game.

PS4 and PC are pretty identical.

Its not just IGN messing up, though. The Xbox One has had this issue for a while. Microsoft have a small history of been messing around with post processing effects and gamma space on their consoles (leading back to the 360) - check page 12.

PC (on highest setting) has the slight advantage in image quality with better anti-aliasing and textures. But apart from that, they are essentially the same. PS4 version runs at native 1080p. XB1 is at slighty lower resolution - 900p. PS3/360 even lower than that, at 720p. And also takes a big hit in quality of assets as well.

So PC=PS4>Xbox One>>PS3/Xbox 360. As for performance, we're going to have to wait on Digital Foundry..