By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Should white people be allowed in the conversation of multiethnicity?

Should white people be allowed in the conversation of multiethnicity?

Yes-White people are multiethnic, too 52 70.27%

No - they don't understand the struggles 2 2.70%

I didn't even know this was a problem 13 17.57%

Total:67
Lawlight said:
Tigerlure said:

I always hated this argument. Do you ever think about why channels like BET exist? Please think about it for a minute before responding to this post, and you'll find out why there's not a "White TV" or "White Miss America". If you legitimately still do not understand, I'll help you fill in the gaps.

Please, spell it out for me. I'd love to hear someone explain the difference in what people of differences can do.

Miss America, from 1921 to 1975 only White women were allowed. Do you understand why there would be a Black Miss America pagent now? Because you already had your White pagent. Now is there anything else you'd like me to explain? And what do you even mean by "White TV"? What would that consist of, only white television programs? Try watching the Bachelor. When's the last time a Black Bachelor was on that show? Let me guess, next you're going to ask about white only colleges, and why we have HBCUs. 

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

The key to the outrage is that we don't need *white television.* How many sitcoms out there have a non-white in the lead role that aren't specifically made to pander to another ethnicity? TV in America is overwhelmingly white, which is why "white TV" would have particular issue.

Now you could get away with "Irish TV" or "Polish TV." Just not "white TV" (WASP TV would probably also catch flak, from non-WASP whites as well as nonwhites)

Could it be because there are more white people in the US?

kirby007 said:
White people are actually the most discriminated people ever

LOL, I'm white but you must live in some fantasy land. 

Aside from a few "white people can't dance, lol" jokes there's virtually no discrimination. 

I think if most white people actually had to be black or Arab for a week, it'd be a pretty huge eye opener for them. 

My black friend has to go purposely out of his way to not seem intimidating to other people on elevators. He has to been mindful of not walking too close behind people on a sidewalk ... stuff I'd never think twice about, lol. And he's a soft spoken guy that wouldn't hurt a fly, lol. 

Lawlight said:
Mr Khan said:

The key to the outrage is that we don't need *white television.* How many sitcoms out there have a non-white in the lead role that aren't specifically made to pander to another ethnicity? TV in America is overwhelmingly white, which is why "white TV" would have particular issue.

Now you could get away with "Irish TV" or "Polish TV." Just not "white TV" (WASP TV would probably also catch flak, from non-WASP whites as well as nonwhites)

Proportionate to population though then 30% of the actors/shows we see on TV should be black or latino or asian actors, when in fact it's more like 5%. I mean if there's a "black" role in a movie it's basically one of six actors that are getting it (lol) -- Will Smith, Sam Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Don Cheadle or uh ... I can't even name more than that, lol. 

Soundwave said:
kirby007 said:

Aside from a few "white people can't dance, lol" jokes there's virtually no discrimination. 

I think if most white people actually had to be black or Arab for a week, it'd be a pretty huge eye opener for them. 

My black friend has to go purposely out of his way to not seem intimidating to other people on elevators. He has to been mindful of not walking too close behind people on a sidewalk ... stuff I'd never think twice about, lol. And he's a soft spoken guy that wouldn't hurt a fly, lol. 

IF White people make a race joke their racist, if anyone else does that it's funny

WHite pole are discriminated when you think of positive discrimination when applying for a job, while we are becoming a minority we never are positively discriminated

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
Soundwave said:
kirby007 said:

IF White people make a race joke their racist, if anyone else does that it's funny

Have you heard of a television show called Tosh.O?

kirby007 said:
Soundwave said:
kirby007 said:

WHite pole are discriminated when you think of positive discrimination when applying for a job, while we are becoming a minority we never are positively discriminated

Err ... so explain South Park or Family Guy or Simpsons then? There are many white comedians that make racially charged jokes, see Louis C.K. who's pretty much the hottest thing in comedy today. 

White people are positively discriminated all the time, lol, I've literally had a situation where a police officer let me go scott free whereas my black friend was taken down for the station for doing nothing. I've had situation where I accidentally tried to bring in a soda bottle through airport check in without realizing it with no fuss, I had an Arab friend who made the same mistake and was pulled out of line, had to empty basically all his carry on luggage, and nearly missed his flight. 

I can date any girl of any ethnicity and no one bats an eye. 

You don't realize these things simply because you don't know any different, you fixate on like the 5% of jobs where being a minority might help and those jobs are usually entry level/low level positions. Most of the really high paying jobs are still the old white man's club (see Wall Street). You wanna work as my maid/nanny for $4-$5/hour have at it, lol.  

I can speak from this honestly simply because I have virtually every advantage a person would want ... white male who comes from a fairly wealthy family to boot but I also the advantage of perspective because I was big on athletics growing up (football, basketball, etc.) so I've seen what a lot of my friends of various ethnicities have to deal with. 

Soundwave said:
Lawlight said:
Mr Khan said:

Proportionate to population though then 30% of the actors/shows we see on TV should be black or latino or asian actors, when in fact it's more like 5%. I mean if there's a "black" role in a movie it's basically one of six actors that are getting it (lol) -- Will Smith, Sam Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Don Cheadle or uh ... I can't even name more than that, lol. 

You're saying that, for example, American Asians are as predisposed to acting as Non-Hispanic White Americans. That's not the case. I think black and hispanic people are represented just fine. Asian, middle eastern, indian, etc... not so much.

Also, Denzel Washington? Cuba Gooding Jr? Eddie Murphy? Jamie Foxx? Tyrese Gibson? Dwayne Johnson?

Jay520 said:

like I said, I don't want to get involved with hypotheticals because they cannot be tested.

As for the television point, yes, most television shows do cater to Whites. That is not to say they are consciously and directly catered toward Whites. But they are tailored to what the majority prefers, which just so happens to be what Whites prefer. So, in effect, it is the same.

It's not really the same, for a lot of reasons. For one thing, a show or network that is explicitly black doesn't have to handwring over a lack of diversity whereas such things that are implicitly white do. With the cultural trend toward "diversity! diversity! diversty!" (/Ballmer) anything that is "too white" will be pressured into diversifying just for the sake of diversifying. See the recent stupid controversy over Jerry Seinfeld's web series.

Another thing is that, as a minority, black Americans are a more compact group with more shared experiences. So while there are surely many black people who won't care for BET or whatever, it's still possible to target a black audience. On the other hand, you can target an audience that happens to be almost entirely white, like a country music channel might, but it would be nigh impossible to make a channel targeted at whites as a group. Such a thing would be a programming nightmare with real coherence from one show to the next.

One final thing, which I suppose is a function of the previous two points, is that black TV is written by black people for black people and is almost uniformly positive in its representation of black people. But "white TV" is written largely by white elites who are profoundly contemptuous of the middle and lower class whites who make up most of their audience. Because white elites (and those who aspire to be like them) imagine that lower class whites are all frothing racists who would like nothing more than to see the return of Jim Crow, even shows like Cops - which is deeply unpopular with black advocacy groups and would not usually be thought of as being concerned with political correctness - take pains to show a disproportionate number of white criminals. Or so its producer has bragged.

Soundwave said:

Err ... so explain South Park or Family Guy or Simpsons then? There are many white comedians that make racially charged jokes, see Louis C.K. who's pretty much the hottest thing in comedy today.

I think you'll find that most "racially charged" comedy is actually making white privilege the butt of the joke, although admittedly this is in many cases only a fig leaf so that someone can make a racist joke and get away with it with his liberal street cred intact.

When ethnic jokes aren't couched on this premise - like Sascha Baron Cohen's unflattering depictions of Arabs, Austrians, and Eastern Europeans, all groups towards whom a Jew might feel some degree of animus - critics become pretty uncomfortable pretty quickly.