By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U's eDRAM stronger than given credit?

tanok said:
its good that wii u has about 500GB/s to 1 terabyte of bandwidth, now its true that bandwidth snt power just data rate transfer speed, but things like tessealtion really require lots of bandwidth specially when gpu needs the data from cpu as soon as possible. Once games in wiu start to use tis techique i am sure will et to see a lot improvemet in graphics

Nintendo is already showing a preview of what the WiiU can do with upcoming games like Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros U.

Around the Network
TheLegendaryWolf said:
starworld said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
starworld said:
curl-6 said:
starworld said:

so what are you saying the graphics techniques that they have learned in the past 8 years can't be applied to the wiiu. 

They can be applied to Wii U to degree. I'm simply saying that devs will still need to learn Wii U's hardware and develop from the ground up for it to show what it can really do, just like any console. A lot their experience over the past 8 years has been with PS3/360, and that will only get them so far on a system with very different architecture.

I really don'y undersstand what nintendo was thinking, they knew they needed to make a console that can at the very least run 360/ps3 with out effort, to get more developers to make games for it, instead they chose to put there money into making a smaller, more effeciante console, a gpu that does 360/ps3 games at 1080p would have cost them 30$.

It can run far better than XB360/PS3 when utilised correctly and not a quick port.

did you miss the part where i said with out effort. frankly it should'nt take much to run 360/ps3 ports, a 320 sp gpu runs 360/ps3 ports at 1080p or at a much higher framerate with out effort/optimization, its also a huge turn off for developers, they want to make the next best thing, and they love to make amazing graphics, you can't blame them for not being excited.

The architecture of the WiiU is significantly different from XB360/PS3 and has to be coded differently for it to run smoothly.

thats not true, wiiu has way more in common with 360 then ps3 has, for instansts they both have amd gpu's, although wiiu is reported to have less gflops, its suppose to be better cause its more modern/efficientl, then you have almost the same ram set up, although wiiu main banwidth is slower, its's edram more then makes for it, the only thing that very different is the cpu. the super nes and genesis were very different as well but guess what, super nes ran games better almost all the times, samething with xbox, games that would lead on p2/gamecube would run on xbox better, except for rare occasions, this excuse is wiiu being different architcure is silly, its basically the wiiu cpu being weak, and the gpu being a tad better then what we have with 360/ps3. 

TheLegendaryWolf said:
tanok said:
its good that wii u has about 500GB/s to 1 terabyte of bandwidth, now its true that bandwidth snt power just data rate transfer speed, but things like tessealtion really require lots of bandwidth specially when gpu needs the data from cpu as soon as possible. Once games in wiu start to use tis techique i am sure will et to see a lot improvemet in graphics

Nintendo is already showing a preview of what the WiiU can do with upcoming games like Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros U.

I'd look more to Shin'en's FAST Racing Neo and Monolith Soft's X as upcoming showcases.

I'd say It's doesn't get enough credit, especially when it was first revealed.

starworld said:

thats not true, wiiu has way more in common with 360 then ps3 has, for instansts they both have amd gpu's, although wiiu is reported to have less gflops, its suppose to be better cause its more modern/efficientl, then you have almost the same ram set up, although wiiu main banwidth is slower, its's edram more then makes for it, the only thing that very different is the cpu. the super nes and genesis were very different as well but guess what, super nes ran games better almost all the times, samething with xbox, games that would lead on p2/gamecube would run on xbox better, except for rare occasions, this excuse is wiiu being different architcure is silly, its basically the wiiu cpu being weak, and the gpu being a tad better then what we have with 360/ps3. 

Actually, due to its slower CPU clockspeed, SNES struggled with early ports, but later proved the superior system once devs tapped into its power.

Wii U is set to virtually reenact this story.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
starworld said:

Actually, due to its slower CPU clockspeed, SNES struggled with early ports, but later proved the superior system once devs tapped into its power.

do you have a source.

curl-6 said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
tanok said:

I'd look more to Shin'en's FAST Racing Neo and Monolith Soft's X as upcoming showcases.

True, but Shin'en hasn't showed footage of FAST Racing Neo yet and X is still in mid-development (looks quite great though).

starworld said:
curl-6 said:
starworld said:

do you have a source.

Oh, I want the source as well. Because I was there, a teenager at the time, and I remember all too well that games fared much better on the SNES than on the Genesis. 

The only port that comes to my mind when I think about a game that was better on the Genesis than the SNES is Mortal Kombat. But the SNES version still had the better visuals. It was only censored. Mortal Kombat IIfixed it all.

starworld said:
curl-6 said:

do you have a source.

Do some reasearch; SNES had a slower CPU that led to problematic slowdown in early third party games and ports. However, its stronger video capabilities, such as a much larger colour pallette and Mode 7 scaling and rotation allowed it to graphically surpass the Megadrive in the long run.

What we have here with the Wii U is a similar situation.

curl-6 said:
starworld said:
curl-6 said:

do you have a source.

Do some reasearch; SNES had a slower CPU that led to problematic slowdown in early third party games and ports. However, its stronger video capabilities, such as a much larger colour pallette and Mode 7 scaling and rotation allowed it to graphically surpass the Megadrive in the long run.

What we have here with the Wii U is a similar situation.

It wasn't problematic at all. It may have had slowdowns, but it did so while displaying more colors. The Genesis was faster, but it was also displaying less.

Since you provide no source, I call bull.